Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Fri 20, 2019 3:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ampex 1160 Motor Hot
PostPosted: Nov Thu 22, 2018 9:33 pm 

I don't recall seeing much tape recorder talk here, but here goes. I'm really happy with the service work I've done on my Ampex 1160 R to R. For a motor and pulley machine I think it's a very substantial machine. It has great sound. I've replaced the heads, all the rubber, and given it a good alignment, electronically and mechanically. I think I did an excellent job. However I am concerned with how hot the motor housing gets. Not smoking hot, or putting out an odor. But lets just say that I don't think a motor housing shoud get THAT hot. I mean like hot enough to almost burn the backside of my finger if I hold it against the motor housing any amount of time. Any ideas? Thak you.

Post subject: Re: Ampex 1160 Motor Hot
PostPosted: Nov Thu 22, 2018 10:03 pm 

Has the motor been cleaned and lubed? Does the shaft move freely with no load on it? Does it have a fan on the shaft?

PostPosted: Nov Thu 22, 2018 11:43 pm 

Well I didn't take the motor apart for any cleaning. All you need to do is give the bearingas a coup-le drops of oil. And yes it turns freely. As for a fan, it has a rear flywheel with vanes on it, but it's solid, which doesn't make a lot of sense. I dpn't understand a solid round plate with vanes, but no holes for air to pass though. But it is what it is. The motor runs continuously as soon as you power it on, whether or not it's actually "in gear" doing work. And sure enough after about 45 minutes, it's as hot as sh#%.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 23, 2018 3:44 am 

Stop worrying and keep your fingers off the motor. Motors are quite safe at temperatures you can't stand firm touch. If you can't hold the back of your finger >3sec, that's under 130F. That's roughly 70F headroom not including the margin.

Oh, another reason to keep your fingers out of there. The edge of that flywheel can give you a gash. If there were holes in the centrifugal fan it wouldn't work. Idea is create a lowpressure area, it's doing that.

Roundabout 1970 I worked on every 1160 on the island of Oahu. Belts, you know how they are. Machine quite solid, flat & quiet, might say 'musical'. Clunky transport controls, but that's what TEACs were for.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 23, 2018 3:58 am 

arbilab wrote:
Stop worrying and keep your fingers off the motor. Motors are quite safe at temperatures you can't stand firm touch. If you can't hold the back of your finger >3sec, that's under 130F. That's roughly 70F headroom not including the margin.

Oh, another reason to keep your fingers out of there. The edge of that flywheel can give you a gash. If there were holes in the centrifugal fan it wouldn't work. Idea is create a lowpressure area, it's doing that.

Roundabout 1970 I worked on every 1160 on the island of Oahu. Belts, you know how they are. Machine quite solid, flat & quiet, might say 'musical'. Clunky transport controls, but that's what TEACs were for.

Well thanks for the post, coming from a real Ampex man. I'll take your advice to heart. The project is all buttoned up now and I wouldn't think of opening it up again. I had to get rid of all my high-end machines a few years ago, including my ATR700. I kept only one--this 1160 because it's sacrilege to get rid of all your tape equipment and not at least keep an Ampex. This is just a little living room grade piece, but i hve the matching speakers, and it's all in very nice condition. So I gave it a first class rebuild. I was happy to find NOS heads. This machine seems very "institutional" in its ruggedness. Belts, pulleys, and brake felt isn't exactly "professional", but it works well (but takes patience to get right) . And the machine playsbeautifully. And my stuff is usually at 3 3/4 recorded off the radio. I love my 1160 and wouldn't take a dollar and a quarter for it. Mine till I die. thanks again.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 23, 2018 10:28 am 

Welcome, enjoy. Snap a couple photos if convenient.

Don't recall any motor trouble with Ampex home. Just those consarn belts. One set went bad waiting for the customer to pick it up, caught and redid.

Ah, you noticed. That brake can take some jiggering. Or sometimes just works, I never figured out why the difference. Ampex Hawaii closed shortly after, then the entire consumer/educational division (CEPD).

PostPosted: Nov Tue 27, 2018 5:54 am 

Where did you find new heads for the Ampex ?

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca

PostPosted: Dec Mon 03, 2018 6:03 pm 

I found the heads 4 or 5 years ago from an old Ampex tech who had them leftover. Don't remember who, but it doesn't matter, as he had gotten down to the last of his parts and sent them to me for nothing just to get rid of the rest of it and close down. For what its worth, several years ago I found some brand new heads still in production that were electrically correct but the mountings were not on it. They'd need to be modified. You can probably still buy them. But I have no idea what the company was.