Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 21, 2019 1:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Heathkit question
PostPosted: Nov Thu 29, 2018 10:13 pm 

Maybe someone with an old Heathkit catalog could answer this question. I just bought a AD 1307, just like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heathkit-AD-13 ... :rk:1:pf:0

Mine does not have the wood end panels. I was thinking about making them but when I looked inside, there was no obvious way that they were attached. Especially on the one side. Were they sold with and w/o panels? I found one image that showed brackets for rack mounting. Anyone familiar with this unit?

Post subject: Re: Heathkit question
PostPosted: Dec Wed 05, 2018 10:11 pm 

Just a wild guess, I am thinking that the panels are attached to the wooden base. Does your set have a base,

or feet? And are there extra extra holes for possible attachment points?

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 12:25 am 

Yes, it has square rubber feet. The base looks just like the top, black painted metal. There are holes near the four corners that could be for mounting the sides, but would require a total dismantling of the unit to use them. And a total dismantling to remove the panels, if they were there, that is why I was wondering if there was an option to buy it with the rack mount brackets, like this one:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sea ... tion=click

I think that it is an uncommon unit and I'd really like to just flip it. I would enjoy making sides for it if it would help sell it, but the dismantling looks overwhelming. The sides are unattractive and not meant to be seen, IMO. Of course a rack mount model w/o the brackets won't help.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 3:31 pm 

Those square rubber feet aren't covering screws are they? I don't know this particular unit. But I do know that Heath used square rubber feet on a lot of it's equipment. They were self adhesive. Feel like lifting the corner of one?

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 4:03 pm 

Quote:
Feel like lifting the corner of one?

Wouldn't tell me anything. The wood sides were attached to the metal sides. It appears that they were attached before it was assembled. I just don't want to disassemble it. That's why I was hoping that someone had an old catalog show models with and without the wood. It would at least tell me that mine was ordered maybe with the rack mount brackets that someone removed. It's just a curiosity thing. With my right-angle drill, I could attach new sides. Heck, really strong double sides carpet tape would hold them. But will this effort be worth it? I don't know what they sell for.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 9:42 pm 

Found a 1978 catalog on line and it just shows it with the wood end sides. No mention of optional rack mounts. So I'll just wait a while to decide what to do. It was listed as something like $119.00. I'd take that for it....LOL.