Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 24, 2019 3:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GE WALLMOUNT CONSOLE HELP
PostPosted: Dec Mon 10, 2018 2:06 am 

Hello All,

This is my first post here, and first and foremost I want to thank you all in advance for this resource.
So I recently picked up a GE wall mount console, solid state stereo and record player unit, model is unknown since model label was missing but it appears to be from the RC range of consoles that GE made throughout the 60's. I purchased it for a Christmas gift for my mom who has been wanting a record player for quite some time. The problem with this unit, at least initially, was that the right channel was not a working, for neither the radio or the record player. So my first thought was that the balance potentiometer needed to be cleaned, so I removed the main electronics panel so that I could effectively use deoxit on all the pots. In the process of doing so, I had to free up some of the wires, including those on the rca output block (see photo). I took lots of photos of the wires I removed, but I dont think I managed to put back the rca block wiring as it should be, because now neither the left or right channel are working. I was pretty confident that I'd be able to obtain a schematic and figure it out on my own, but i cant seem to nail down the model. I looked through all of the RCXXXX schematics that I could find online. Unfortunately most were tube amps, and the ones that were solid state just didnt seem to apply to my particular configuration.

So, my questions are:
1. Does anybody know what model this is. And if so can you direct me to a source that has the schematic?
2. If the answer is no to number 1, then is anybody on this forum familiar with how this rca output block is wired, and are you able to tell me how it should be wired and which plugs the jumpers should be plugged into?
3. I would really like to replace this rca output block with one that is in better condition. Does anybody know a source that sells one that is similar to the one I have shown in the pics.
4. Is there a parts list for these that anyone knows of?

Thanks again for any help that anyone might be able to provide.

Regards,

Guido

Attachments:
1192018165217.jpg
1192018165217.jpg [ 50.78 KiB | Viewed 889 times ]
1192018165356.jpg
1192018165356.jpg [ 67.13 KiB | Viewed 889 times ]
1192018165428.jpg
1192018165428.jpg [ 69.58 KiB | Viewed 889 times ]
1192018165356.jpg
1192018165356.jpg [ 67.13 KiB | Viewed 889 times ]

Post subject: Re: GE WALLMOUNT CONSOLE HELP
PostPosted: Dec Mon 10, 2018 4:43 am 

I don't recognize it... :shock:
maybe someone will?

Large images, pulled from the web.
open: https://66.media.tumblr.com/0841d5137dc ... 2_1280.jpg
closed: https://66.media.tumblr.com/3fc8c73b67c ... 1_1280.jpg

Welcome aboard... :)
Greg.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 10, 2018 5:05 am 

Hi Greg. Thanks. Yes that is the one. Those pictures are the only ones I could find anywhere. Hoping someone is familiar with it here.

Guido

PostPosted: Dec Mon 10, 2018 5:28 am 

I had a tube model version of this at one time.

Generally, the two RCA jacks with the resistors are for external speakers. My first suggestion would be physically trace the wiring from the speakers to the actual amp. It's possible that something was pulled loose. Also check for a internal/external speaker switch.

Some of these models made contact with the speakers through the hinges that the speakers hang on.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 10, 2018 6:09 am 

Here is an 18-page service manual for a bunch of transistorized models, thanks to Bill J.
viewtopic.php?p=1963242#p1963242

The image on the front is a representative image.
You may be able to verify the chassis numbers - should be rubber stamped or pasted on a paper tag.
Try and trace your wires.

Didn't have time to study it... hittin' the hay. Lol
Greg.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 12, 2018 5:39 pm 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
I believe we can narrow this down if you can provide the chassis numbers off the tuner and amp chassis. But maybe not as tuner used indicates more than one model. If you just had a piece of label. The record support arm is different but references tend to point to same SAMS data. Send me a PM in regards to the SAMS availability.

Bill J.

Attachments:
GE T7B CHASSIS.jpg
GE T7B CHASSIS.jpg [ 135.39 KiB | Viewed 761 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Thu 13, 2018 4:16 am 

Hi Bill,
I think you're on to something there. That appears to be the one. Unfortunately I can not find any distinguishing markings that would indicate the chassis number. Only thing on the entire unit is a stenciled "11W29" painted on the cabinet beneath the turn table. Also have what I think is the part number on the tuner circuit board which is E292 P6. Anyhow, I will PM you about the photofact. Thanks very much for the lead.

Guido

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 7:01 am 

Hi all. Just want to provide an update and ask you opinions on what I have found.

I removed the amplifier circuit board assembly from the console to familiarize myself with the circuits. I found what may be the cause of my problems....a crack in the edge of the board that appears to have created a cut at the trace running perpendicular to the crack. Actually, there ar 2 traces. Both appear to have had attempted repairs. See attached pics.

The outermost trace looks like it was successfully bridged with solder. The trace beneath that had the same repair attempted, but that clearly failed as there is full separation the trace. Because of that, the previous owner placed a jumper from the end of the separation and directly onto the resistor lead located on the other side of the trace.

So my questions are as follows:
1. Is this type of repair acceptable and safe?
2. I thought about trying to epoxy the crack, then re-bridging the cut in the traces. But if this is dangerous, I certainly don't want to go down that road.
3. Has anyone here dealt with a similar issue? If so, what was your approach.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Guido

Attachments:
11152018215142.jpg
11152018215142.jpg [ 53.77 KiB | Viewed 659 times ]
1115201821523.jpg
1115201821523.jpg [ 52.85 KiB | Viewed 659 times ]
11152018215234.jpg
11152018215234.jpg [ 83.36 KiB | Viewed 659 times ]
11152018215031.jpg
11152018215031.jpg [ 72.96 KiB | Viewed 659 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 3:51 pm 

Your above pics of the PC boards are exactly why I usually don't promise or like to do repairs for a customer on players with these PC's. They are way overcrowded...hard to get to and hard to work with AFA swapping/testing components...Witness the repaired bridged traces on yours. The circuit traces tear up easily when you try to re-solder or poke a new cap thru the board.
Bridging the circuit trace breaks by wire is the way I go....Good luck!

PostPosted: Dec Mon 17, 2018 1:46 am 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
I tin an appropriate piece of copper wire and lay it on the gap and solder. And sometimes a jumper wire is best.

Bill J.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 21, 2018 9:11 pm 

Looking at pictures 3&4 it seems there may be something between the two traces on the top right. it looks like a small imperfection of either trace material that may be shorting the traces or glob of solder?
take an exact knife and cut between the traces and if it's meant to be there just solder a small glob over it to reconnect. Just my opinion.
on the repairs already done if it's to hard to repair, then just move further away from the original patches and use longer insulated wire. Just use a little acetone on a Q-tip to remove some of the masking material or use a pencil eraser to rub of the mask. Use some Eutectic solder to tin the traces with a small 15 watt pencil Iron. put flux on the trace prior to tinning. Remember not to push the iron on the trace or you could move the trace. Make sure the iron tip has been just re-tinned and clean.

Hint: I would take a bare piece of tinned or silver wire and flatten the wire with a small hammer and a block of flat steel, into the same shape and width as the trace and solder as fast as possible so as to not disturb the underling traces. Using epoxy to cover after the job is done.
as far as the cracked board use some epoxy pushed into the crack and use a tiny c-clamp, alligator, or clothes pin with the spring. To keep the board crack tight to gather. Some times you can get very small spring clams from the hardware store that will be strong yet small enough to work till the epoxy dries.
Some additional Info:

This maybe the same record player used as yours? although the receiver is horizontal rather than vertical. At least look at it as its a tube unit.

General Electric Model RC-1671A
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... 6&t=223909

Beitmans vol 24 page 55

http://www.antiqueradio.com/Jun10_Schoo ... ation.html