Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 16, 2019 8:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Magnavox Astro-Sonic - Year and tips?
PostPosted: Jan Tue 22, 2019 10:36 pm 

another driveby ?

:roll:

steve

Last edited by Dutch Rabbit on Jan Tue 22, 2019 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 22, 2019 10:43 pm 

The OP didn't get the answer he wanted and went else where I'd guess. Those SS consoles from the 70's
may come back in style and demand, if someone has storage space where the square footage charge will be less than
profit on those, in say 20-30 years. Might produce a penny per pound. And, the Mediterranean style is just plain ugly.

The Zenith prelude is nice and old enough, it's problem is the size, too small for those wanting a large console.
I like consoles myself. hang on to it, prices are coming up on tube consoles.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 23, 2019 2:01 am 

glue_ru wrote:
The Zenith prelude is nice and old enough, it's problem is the size, too small for those wanting a large console.

Thanks, Glue! :D I'd love to hang onto my Prelude - the problem is that it's developed a slight crackle somewhere, and the guy who originally fixed it up for me is no longer doing record player repair.

I can't seem to find anybody else in my area who fixes tube consoles, and I have no idea how to fix it myself. So right now I'm playing it until it starts crackling, then I have to turn it off. I don't know what the cause is or what to do about it, and I'm afraid that one day it's either going to catch fire or just burn out internally and then I'll just have a shell to haul to the dump. And, of course, if it breaks for real I won't be able to get a plug nickel for it, and I put $400 into the restoration. $$$

PostPosted: Jan Wed 23, 2019 5:52 am 

ohiogal wrote:
glue_ru wrote:

Thanks, Glue! :D I'd love to hang onto my Prelude - the problem is that it's developed a slight crackle somewhere, and the guy who originally fixed it up for me is no longer doing record player repair.

I can't seem to find anybody else in my area who fixes tube consoles, and I have no idea how to fix it myself. So right now I'm playing it until it starts crackling, then I have to turn it off. I don't know what the cause is or what to do about it, and I'm afraid that one day it's either going to catch fire or just burn out internally and then I'll just have a shell to haul to the dump. And, of course, if it breaks for real I won't be able to get a plug nickel for it, and I put $400 into the restoration. $$$

check the capacitors around the preamp tube. Also, check the tube sockets themselves. Make sure they are tight and clean

PostPosted: Jan Thu 24, 2019 3:24 am 

Artcurus wrote:
check the capacitors around the preamp tube. Also, check the tube sockets themselves. Make sure they are tight and clean

Thanks, Artcurus! Someone else restored this for me, so how would I go about finding the capacitors and the preamp tube? And, what exactly am I looking for? (sorry, you're probably rolling your eyes, but technical stuff is not my bag.) The tube sockets should be easy to find, at least. :-) I'll make sure the tubes are screwed in tight and the sockets are clean.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 24, 2019 5:15 am 

ohiogal wrote:
Artcurus wrote:

Thanks, Artcurus! Someone else restored this for me, so how would I go about finding the capacitors and the preamp tube? And, what exactly am I looking for? (sorry, you're probably rolling your eyes, but technical stuff is not my bag.) The tube sockets should be easy to find, at least. :-) I'll make sure the tubes are screwed in tight and the sockets are clean.
The tubes push straight in, they are not screwed in.
Also the socket has a gap that lines up with the tiny pins of the tube.
Be careful not to rub the lettering off of the tubes wiping and twisting them.
Good luck with your Zenith, and don't despair, somebody will come along that wants it or can fix it.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 24, 2019 5:19 am 

ohiogal wrote:
Artcurus wrote:

The trouble is that you don't know the quality of the rebuild. Some techs will throw some grease into the record player, spray the controls and do nothing else. Hence leaving a whole lot of old parts still in place.

If you can get the radio and amplifer out and take pictures, we can move forward. While I said that popping could be tube sockets, it could actually be capacitors, in fact, I would bet that that IS the problem.

also +1 on what westcoastjohn said.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 12:05 am 

Hi again,

Thanks for all the tips, sorry for the late reply, I didn’t get any notifications and thought no one answered! I did wind up getting it, I’m guilty of the millennial thing, though I don’t have any vinyls... it is just really similar to one my grandma had growing up and I love it for the nostalgia, plus it sounds way better than any modern speakers we have! Took the back off and the model number matches the 1971 model number. We refinished the wood, had the turntable serviced, and sprayed the controls with deoxit and it works great now! No crackling at all. Now I just need to start an old record collection.

Still struggling with photos but I’ll try to upload some soon!

PostPosted: Feb Thu 21, 2019 11:38 pm 

Artcurus wrote:
If you can get the radio and amplifer out and take pictures, we can move forward. While I said that popping could be tube sockets, it could actually be capacitors, in fact, I would bet that that IS the problem.

I'd be happy to do that, except I'm not sure how to remove the radio and amplifier without breaking the entire thing. Is there a book I can get, or something that can show me what to do so I don't end up with a gigantic doorstop?

PostPosted: Feb Sun 24, 2019 12:38 am 

ohiogal wrote:
Artcurus wrote:

I'd be happy to do that, except I'm not sure how to remove the radio and amplifier without breaking the entire thing. Is there a book I can get, or something that can show me what to do so I don't end up with a gigantic doorstop?

Take pictures anway and post them, we'll go from there.