Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 19, 2019 10:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: new project and help needed
PostPosted: Feb Fri 08, 2019 1:56 am 

Good evening to all
New member here. Miami, Florida. My technician's specialty is computer, sound reinforcement gear. Also ECM and elecronics in cars.

I just pulled out this akai VT-110 that was sleeping sing years in the family house

it comes with several tapes full of precious image from people long gone now.

The machine spins the motors but does not move the tape reels

reminds you of "déjà vu" ?

I believe time ate up the belts and some sort of tire supposed to grab the tape

my questions

- do you guys know where to find the replacement parts ?
and / or
- anybody in the forum willing to make a transcoding to videocassette or DVD
compensation involved from my part...

I am considering trading the machine after this media recovery is done

thanks in advance
ready to read your comments

Post subject: Re: new project and help needed
PostPosted: Feb Fri 08, 2019 6:33 pm 

For replacement belts and tires: http://www.russellind.com/prbline/prb.htm

PostPosted: Feb Fri 08, 2019 8:40 pm 

A google search found at least one place that will transfer to digital. Sounds expensive to me, but I suppose that's relative to the importance of the material being recovered. On the flip side there's definitely a liability involved for whomever offers the service.

https://greentreeav.com/akaivideotape

PostPosted: Feb Fri 08, 2019 11:49 pm 

There's a short video of someone sort-of playing a VT-110 with the same problem -- no reel movement. The headwheel and electronics work well enough that rotating the takeup reel by hand (finger) results in viewable video. Good way to check the operating condition before investing in belts and rubber.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEkbWfWppWI

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 12:18 pm 

Maybe moved in error - we are talking about a Video tape recorder here.

Probably should be in Television where it started......

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 3:37 pm 

irob2345 wrote:
Maybe moved in error - we are talking about a Video tape recorder here.

Probably should be in Television where it started......
Perhaps...but the OP did not mention it is a video recorder in his opening post. I looked at the YouTube video and it seems more mechanically akin to an audio tape recorder (except for the spinning video head) than a vintage television so I think it is best to leave it here where the recorder experts reside. There is still a link to this thread in the Antique Televisions section for those interested.

Note to members: It's always a good idea to include a short description of the item under discussion in the title of a new topic (i.e. Akai Video Recorder Project)

Dave

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 7:06 pm 

Having spent over half my career involved in VTR/VCR maintenance in all formats from 2” to 1/4”. I will suggest that you have your tape teansferred. Repairing yours today will either prove expensive or futile imho.......unless it’s just belts rollers and lube that has turned to glue. If you wanted to keep the deck I might advise otherwise but seems better to just farm it out for a frw transfers don’t wait too long lol. Places that do this are becoming scarce

PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 1:00 am 

Barry - I agree that farming it out might be the best option if the only goal is to save the content. Can you point to some specific places that perform this service with that machine's format?

Dave

PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 1:15 am 

Dave, I'm in Ohio. I'm sure someone nearer to you is much more likely to handle this format than anyone around here. The VT100 format appears to have been unique. The link below is one I turned up just with a google search. They list a few companies that CAN do this transfer for you. It's not entirely cheap, but you may be able to negotiate with some of them if you really want to get rid of your machine... perhaps they will take it for credit towards tape transfer.

I'd do some research first before sending out either tapes or the machine, and if there is someone NEAR you, by all means a personal visit would be best if you value your original recordings.

I've sent an Email to a pal at the Museum of Broadcast Technology in RI, and I'll let you know if they might be interested in either the transfer, your machine, or both. They may also be able, although maybe or maybe not willing, to repair your machine, unless some unobtanium part is needed.

How many tapes and of what duration are involved in your need for transfer? If I were closer I'd take a shot at restoring your VTR but shipping it here and back would simply not be worth it. If the tape heads are in good shape, it may just need mechanical attention, or if the reels don't turn perhaps some issue with the CAPSTAN MOTOR or drive, or the tape tension servo (if it has one) I've never actually seen one of THIS exact deck. Do you by any chance have a manual for the deck? Without one, not very likely to get yours working.

Here's the link I turned up:

https://obsoletemedia.org/akai-video-tape/
Sources / Resources
Akai VT 100 and Akai VTS-110 DX Descriptions | The Experimental Television Center
Video formats: 1/4 inch Akia
Akai advert, The Rotarian, July 1971, p.13
AKAI 1/4-inch VT video tapes transferred to DVD and video files | Greentree Audio Visual [US media transcription company]
LabGuy's World: Akai VTS-150B 1/4 COLOR Potable Broadcast VTR System
LabGuy's World: Akai VTS-100 1/4 B/W Portapack VTR System

PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 6:25 pm 

thanks to all for all these leads.
I will take some quiet time to explore the different paths

will keep you updated

A

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 12:02 pm 

Here is the result of my query to the MBT, edited to remove the personal stuff...... In a nutshell, as I hinted at and suspected, this tape format was problematic from the very beginning, as were many of them, until Sony, Panasonic, and others standardized the consumer video recording industry ... Best of luck to you.

From the Museum: Quite a few years ago, I presented my VT-100 to John Fede in Natick, Ma, for very much the same symptoms as yours. The motors would whine but not much would actually turn or move. An inspection inside revealed the synthetic rubber belts and drive wheels had literally turned into molten dripping black goo. Nasty goo at that, which resisted removal even with powerful Xylene.

John Fede at Audio Video Recovery Services was the key to success. John had considerable experience with other AKAI VT-100 and VT-150 color VTRs. He was able to find or fabricate the appropriate rubber belts or drive wheels and was able to get my unit working again.

But that was only a partial solution to the complex issue. Other VTR transport tape path adjustments needed critical attention, as did the entrance and exit guide height issues.

It was found that any AKAI VTR pretty much required a precise mechanical and electrical alignment for each tape or family of tapes, to insure reasonable playback.

The good news is that John has acquired the experience and techniques needed to maximize the performance of an AKAI
VT-100 so that tape content can be recovered.

To be candid, dealing with the AKAI format is so irksome, I abandoned my VT-100 to John’s collection so that he would have more than one to use in various projects. Too much hassle for me.

John has email at: jfede@avrs.net

or you could contact him via email or telephone/text him at (508) 308-1166.

I think there is a sliding scale of cost depending on the length of the AKAI reel and the difficulty of the preparations. That range, if memory serves me, was from $100 to $150 an hour.
He does good work.