Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 17, 2019 2:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Disassembling RCA 1966 New Vista console
PostPosted: Feb Fri 22, 2019 7:16 pm 

I have a 1966 RCA solid state New Vista phonograph, radio console. There is a problem with the phonograph. I removed the phonograph to be repaired. But the phonograph was continually running at a slow speed even when the phono switch was turned off. I assume there is a problem in the stitch assembly. I can not see how to remove the switch assembly. Does anyone know how I can obtain drawings/ schematics of the vintage unit to help sonervice it? Or has anyone worked on a similar unit who knows how to access the stitches? The phonograph in the attached pictures is obviously not the original I removed. Thank you.

Attachments:
20190222_124102_resized.jpg
20190222_124102_resized.jpg [ 79.94 KiB | Viewed 694 times ]
20190222_124119_resized.jpg
20190222_124119_resized.jpg [ 89.53 KiB | Viewed 694 times ]
20190222_124134_resized.jpg
20190222_124134_resized.jpg [ 73.3 KiB | Viewed 694 times ]

Post subject: Re: Disassembling RCA 1966 New Vista console
PostPosted: Feb Sat 23, 2019 1:28 am 

Hello Ken.

The original changer was from the RP-200 series.

Yours looks more like a newfangled Yamaha... :shock:

Can you tell us what is written on the front - - I cannot see through the perspex cover. Lol
There should be some model numbers underneath the platter, or on the bottom.
or, post more photos of the changer.

The Tuner/radio will also have a model number - prefixed RC-✴✴✴✴ (RS-✴✴✴ for an amplifier).
The console (as a whole) should also have a model number - prefixed MJT- or VJT-

:) Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 23, 2019 2:23 am 

Hi Greg, My question is not about the change. My console looks exactly like yours. I pulled my changer to service it and just set phonograph pictured in it to use the phono. I have a problem with the switches and don't see an easy way to get into the push button switches. Do you know how to pull the switch assembly out for service? Are any drawings or schematics available for these units? Mine sounds great, just a problem with the phono circuit. Thanks

PostPosted: Feb Sat 23, 2019 3:06 am 

Chassis→ RC-1218N from console→ VHT-15 M

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_new_v ... nd_rs.html

You will have to remove the Tuner assembly from the console. Not for the faint of heart... :shock:
and even then, there will be some circuit-board disassembly required.

Yes, there will be (electrical) service information for your Tuner, but rarely are mechanical assemblies mentioned.
You are kinda on your own!

Thankfully, I've never been in there.

Greg.
oh... don't touch the dial-string with your soldering-iron, it won't like it!

------------

When disconnecting interconnecting cables, label them with masking tape flags or directly with a sharpie.
Example: tuner chassis terminal-A to amp chassis terminal-A
B to B etc.

otherwise you'll get lost when it comes to reassembly... :shock:

A digital camera makes a great aide-mémoire.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 23, 2019 3:52 am 

That does sound VERY involved. I don't know if I will get into that. The only thing that doesn't work is the changer. Do you agree with my assumption? A couple months ago the turntable started turning slowly all the time, when the power button was on, causing a hum in the speakers. It turned regardless of what function button was pushed. Last week the power button stopped working-it was on all the time. When I unplugged the cables from the changer, the push buttons and everything worked fine. Is the problem only in the changer or in the buttons?

PostPosted: Feb Sat 23, 2019 4:04 am 

Post the make and all the numbers (rubber-stamped or pasted to paper tags) from your changer.

post photos if you wish. Lol

Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 23, 2019 9:29 pm 

KenF wrote:
It turned regardless of what function button was pushed. Last week the power button stopped working-it was on all the time. When I unplugged the cables from the changer, the push buttons and everything worked fine. Is the problem only in the changer or in the buttons?

I could be wrong but I think the problem lies in the on/off switch (in the changer) controlled by the function/manual control on the changer. The on/off switch would be underneath the platter on the right if it was removed with the control lever underneath from the function selector to activate it. The push buttons are more than likely just used to select what audio input goes to the audio amps. Here are a couple of RCA changers from that period set up that way. Check out some of the troubleshooting hints associated with turntable fails to stop in the second and third links (courtesy of NumberMaj 1). It could be the switch but it it could also be the slide lever or other problems controlling it

Marked as on/off switch 51. An earlier model changer but check out page 139 for basic switch location

https://app.box.com/s/q3vo841zsykpxks9rggl68rqruhr59m5

Links below courtesy of NumberMaj 1 (Bill J.)

On/off switch marked as S2
Fails to shut off tips
https://app.box.com/s/djc48os4zprvefvixi0y

https://app.box.com/s/2wc2g2hkdojvo9lwaiew

Ken

PostPosted: Mar Mon 04, 2019 2:17 am 

My changer is RP-224 and the last link you shared is the schematic for it. If there is a good chance the continual running at slow speed is in the changer, not the switched in the main console, I will look for a person who can repair the changer. Thank you very much for your information.