Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 09, 2019 1:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Olson speaker switch
PostPosted: Apr Mon 08, 2019 3:51 am 

I grew up ogling Olson catalogs, and have a soft spot for anything Olson I come across. I picked up this speaker selector switch, and because of its design, I originally figured it for auto use. I now wonder because who would want only to be able to choose between front, rear, or both in a car? Once you have installed 4 speakers in a car your most important adjustment is to be able to fade between front and rear. Also, a fader switch can also do what this switch does. Opinions?

Attachments:
olson3.jpg
olson3.jpg [ 93.46 KiB | Viewed 499 times ]
olson4.jpg
olson4.jpg [ 103 KiB | Viewed 497 times ]

Last edited by 1968rt on Apr Mon 08, 2019 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Olson speaker switch
PostPosted: Apr Mon 08, 2019 3:55 am 

But before stereo, there were only two speakers in a car, front and rear and most came from the factory with only one speaker up front and the rear one was optional, or the owner would go to Olsons or somewhere and buy a rear seat speaker kit to add the second speaker themselves.

No doubt that switch was sold at a time before stereo radios were commonly found in cars. Probably just slightly cheaper than a fader control but maybe some people would have wanted that instead of the fader.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 08, 2019 4:05 am 

Right, Mr Detrola. The switch can only handle 2 speakers, not 4. But the rest of my argument still holds true. Most auto makers who offered a rear speaker included a fader. My 68 Coronet came with a rear speaker ( it is called out on the fender tag). Here is a pic of my recently installed restored dash. The fader is only for show, as the AM radio has been converted to a stereo with 4 speaker capability, even though outwardly it is indistinguishable from an oem radio.

Attachments:
dash4.jpg
dash4.jpg [ 95.73 KiB | Viewed 496 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Wed 10, 2019 11:43 pm 

If the original radio only had a front speaker and an owner chose to add his own to the rear, the switch would make sense. Especially on long trips with your kids who didn't like your music or whos music you didn't like!

PostPosted: Apr Thu 11, 2019 2:19 am 

Back when I first started installing car stereo (early 70s) it was common to have only one speaker and an AM radio. The big "improvement" was to add an under dash 8 track player and a rear speaker. Then a "Radio - Tape" switch connected either to the radio using one of these switches, or to the 8 track, Left on the Front Speaker and Right on the Rear. (There was no Left or Right since most cars back then only had a single speaker in front and rear.)

PostPosted: Apr Thu 11, 2019 10:52 pm 

I remember adding a rear speaker to my dad’s 52 Buick Special AM radio. It was one of my first “electronics “projects. I Rember my sister sitting next to me in the back seat, complaining it was too loud.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 23, 2019 2:43 am 

Well if you only got one back speaker, maybe you should look for a reverb unit for it and get some real cool effects.