Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Tue 25, 2019 9:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: odd metal capacitor in Webster-Chicago Wire recorder
PostPosted: Apr Sun 14, 2019 2:44 am 

Attachment:
C6 capacitor schematic section.doc [178 KiB]
Downloaded 12 times
Attachment:
IMG_3980.jpg
IMG_3980.jpg [ 100.46 KiB | Viewed 409 times ]
I am restoring a webster-chicago wire recorder from 1956. It's in very good shape, powered up, but shorted a 1 Amp heathkit-type plug fuse when placed into run mode. I have new rectifier and 3 additional tubes for it. Basically I am replacing capacitors and resistors. These are typical paper/wax capacitors.
I have run into the pictured 0.01 MFD metal capacitor with its case grounded. It is in the microphone portion of the schematic. I am assuming this was an early attempt to shield this part of the circuit, prevent hum and/or distortion. The cap output wire is shielded in a coaxial grounding sheath as well which I was planning to retain.
Is there any reason I could not replace this with a typical polypropylene cap, (and dispense with the case grounding obviously)? Or would it be wiser to leave the capacitor unreplaced, assuming it tested ok?

Post subject: Re: odd metal capacitor in Webster-Chicago Wire recorder
PostPosted: Apr Sun 14, 2019 2:57 am 

If it tests ok, leave it in. I've not seen one fail.