Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 17, 2019 5:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sargent-Rayment SR 17-17
PostPosted: Jul Sun 21, 2019 2:36 am 

Does anyone have a schematic for this discontinued integrated amplifier? Sargent-Rayment Co. was based in Oakland, CA and was best known for AM radios. They later got into amplifiers, pre-amps and integrated amps. No sure about tuners.

Photo of the SR 17-17 is included.

I was warming it up with a Variac so I could check it out. When I got to 120V it blew the fuse and the GZ-34 tube. I am hoping that is the only damage. Any guesses what may have caused it?

Thanks,

Couldbfishin

Attachments:
File comment: SR 17-17
IMG_3760.JPG
IMG_3760.JPG [ 253.25 KiB | Viewed 585 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sargent-Rayment SR 17-17
PostPosted: Jul Sun 21, 2019 2:10 pm 

If the fuse blew and the GZ34 also failed, then you have a major short somewhere after the power transformer. The first place I would look is at the electrolytic filter caps which could be shorted. I would also recommend finding the service info for the amp as it will make it much easier to do the repairs. Harry

PostPosted: Jul Sun 21, 2019 4:55 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion and I will change my request to needing a schematic or better yet, a service manual.

I have been looking for these for a few days now, and from what I have learned on other audio websites, it is very difficult to find Sargent- Rayment Co. service manuals, operations manuals, or schematics. There are lots of people looking for them. Someone suggested this site to me, and I find it very interesting.

I did a search on this site and couldn't find anything on Sargent-Raymond. I read they were primarily distributed on the West Coast of the US, being based in Oakland, CA. Not sure how this integrated amp made its way to Houston. My father found it at an estate sale. He was a long time member of a vintage radio club here in Houston. He had this amp in storage for years, and gave it to me.

I will attach two more photos, one from the top side and the other from the bottom.

Thanks again,
Couldbfishin

Attachments:
top view- from back.JPG
top view- from back.JPG [ 6.74 KiB | Viewed 548 times ]
btm view- from front.JPG
btm view- from front.JPG [ 8.47 KiB | Viewed 548 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Tue 23, 2019 2:45 pm 

Nice find, those are very nice little 6BQ5 amps.
I wrote the article on S-R in Vacuum Tube Valley Magazine issue # 20, and interviewed the former CEO Will Rayment as part of the research. I also acquired the remnants of the S-R company's files from a gentleman who bought out the S-R inventory at auction in 1961 or '62, and donated a copy of everything to Mr. Rayment. He'd now be about 90 if he's still with us. Looking in my files I can't find a 17-17 schematic. You can contact the California Historical Radio group's archivist Bart Lee, they may have it in their archives.

https://www.californiahistoricalradio.com/

Mr. Rayment was a member of the CHRS and he donated much information to them.
best of luck,
Roger A.

PS: oh and yes S-R made tuners, in fact they were noted for them.
"Audio" said the S-R two detector AM section was one of the best ever made. They sold marine radios to the US Navy in WWII, they date back to TRF radios, circa late 1920s.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 25, 2019 6:44 am 

That amplifier rings a bell. Does it have a variable damping circuit
associated with the low end of the speaker terminals going to ground
through a low value sense resistor ?

Pots to trim screen voltage of the output tubes ?

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca

PostPosted: Jul Thu 25, 2019 3:55 pm 

Firedome wrote- "I wrote the article on S-R in Vacuum Tube Valley Magazine issue # 20, and interviewed the former CEO Will Rayment as part of the research. I also acquired the remnants of the S-R company's files from a gentleman who bought out the S-R inventory at auction in 1961 or '62, and donated a copy of everything to Mr. Rayment. He'd now be about 90 if he's still with us. Looking in my files I can't find a 17-17 schematic. You can contact the California Historical Radio group's archivist Bart Lee, they may have it in their archives."

Roger,

I made contact by email with Mr. Bart Lee. He copied me as he forwarded my request to someone asking him/her to check their archives for S-R schematics on Hi-Fi equipment. He also asked him/her to forward to me a copy of Will Rayment's biography. Bart asked that person to contact me directly and let me know what is available.

If I get any schematics for audio equipment, I plan to post it on Hi-Fi Engine and other sites that make schematics accessible to those who need them for restorations/repairs. I didn't think to ask for schematics of radios that S-R built, since I am primarily interested in audio equipment.

I read your article on the history of the Sargent-Rayment Co. and enjoyed it very much. It was the first information that I have found that the SR 17-17 was first manufactured in 1958, and was the first integrated amplifier that S-R built. I believe your story also said that S-R started building higher wattage integrated amps in 1959. Do you remember if Mr. Rayment said they continued to build the SR 17-17 until they closed in 1961 or did they discontinue the model as they introduced higher wattage models? It probably doesn't matter to anyone but us owners of the SR 17-17, but I am curious how many years the amp was manufactured.

Also, thank you for introducing me to the Vacuum Tube Valley publication. I have spent several hours reading issues and have started copying them all onto my computer to continue to read. It was a great publication. I found articles on Eico, Heathkit, Dynaco, KLH, AR, JBL, and other companies whose products I have, and listen to often. The vintage equipment advertisements are also great to look at and read.

Thank you again sir.

Couldbfishin
Gerry Meeks
Houston, TX

PostPosted: Jul Thu 25, 2019 4:05 pm 

Radio Technician wrote: That amplifier rings a bell. Does it have a variable damping circuit
associated with the low end of the speaker terminals going to ground
through a low value sense resistor ?

Pots to trim screen voltage of the output tubes ?

Steve,
Unfortunately I am not well versed enough yet to answer your questions. I will look at the amp and let you know what I learn, if anything.

Possibly Roger can answer your questions, since he recognized/remembered the amp and mentioned it?

Thanks for following the thread.

Couldbfishin
Houston, TX

PostPosted: Jul Mon 29, 2019 6:35 pm 

You're welcome, hope you can find what you need, and if you can post info for others that'd be helpful also. VTV was a great publication, a shame it didn't survive the internet.
I believe the 17-17 was possibly made 1 year only, maybe 2, I've been on vacation w/o access to my files. They did introduce a 6CA7 based amp in '59 or '60 I believe. Can't
recall if any amps had variable damping. The CHRS has a lot of info and members with S-R knowledge, Mr. Rayment himself was a member and donated items to them.
Let us know how you make out with the amps! As you can see by the "iron" they are good ones!
Roger A.
Binghamton NY

PostPosted: Aug Sat 10, 2019 4:00 pm 

Did you ever get the documents that you need?

T.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 10, 2019 4:18 pm 

sparkgap wrote:
Did you ever get the documents that you need?

T.

Unfortunately not yet. Roger A. bought the records of the Sargent-Rayment Co after it closed in 1962. He went through what he has and could not locate any HiFi schematics. I then checked with a radio club in California which Mr. Will Rayment belonged to before his passing. They checked their archives/library and could not find any schematics for S-R HiFi equipment. One last hope is that they are this weekend checking the records at another location.

If I am able to get any schematics for S-R HiFi equipment I will be sure and post it and let everyone know where to find it.

In the meantime, I have received 3 new cap cans, GZ34 rectifier tube, and I am waiting on some replacement electrolytic caps before starting to do the repair. I have never drawn a schematic, so I bought some books on the subject and I am studying it right now.

I am also looking for other S-R HiFi audio gear. If you see any for sale, please let me know.

Thanks Sparkgap