Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 18, 2019 7:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for more Information on a Vintage Calrad Speaker
PostPosted: May Tue 07, 2019 11:02 am 

I just picked up an old Calrad Speaker with a volume knob on the side. I've been trying to find some info, but I can't find one like the one I have. There are a lot of numbers on the back of the speaker, P74J856-1,1D3495, D33, R-232, and 021. I have no idea which one is the model number. I've searched for each set of numbers, but don't get any results. Maybe I'm not looking in the right spots. I plan on selling it, so i'd like to figure out if it's worth anything, when it was made ect.. Should I keep it all together or sell just the speaker and the L Pad? The fabric on the front has a stain and the wood is not in very good shape. If any of you have any information, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading. -John

Attachments:
calrad1.jpg
calrad1.jpg [ 40.89 KiB | Viewed 235 times ]
calrad2.jpg
calrad2.jpg [ 38.1 KiB | Viewed 235 times ]
calrad3.jpg
calrad3.jpg [ 37.17 KiB | Viewed 235 times ]
calrad4.jpg
calrad4.jpg [ 54.99 KiB | Viewed 235 times ]
calrad6.jpg
calrad6.jpg [ 44.33 KiB | Viewed 235 times ]
calrad5.jpg
calrad5.jpg [ 41.88 KiB | Viewed 235 times ]

Post subject: Re: Looking for more Information on a Vintage Calrad Speake
PostPosted: May Tue 07, 2019 4:32 pm 

That is likely not a Calrad speaker. It is probably a home-built enclosure that uses a Calrad L-pad. It does not look like any of the Calrad speakers that I have seen over the last 40+ years. If it was a factory-built Calrad speaker it would probably use a Calrad driver, and your driver a) is not labeled Calrad, and b) its frame looks nothing like any of the Calrad drivers that I have seen in the last 40+ years. The interior looks too crude to be factory built.

PostPosted: May Tue 07, 2019 4:46 pm 

+1 most likely not a Calrad. Looks either homemade or one of the cheaper versions of Atlas, Argos, Bogen, Clarity, Speco..... wall mount speaker enclosures for P.A. systems. Found in applications like grocery stores, churches, halls, diners,...
Yours appears to be an 8" probably 8 ohm, 5 watt speaker. I've got a dozen old ones laying around which were upgraded, and a good number of new L pads which I can't afford to sell on the bay due to the low cost expectations.
Maybe your next acquisition will be the Holy Grail!
Dan

PostPosted: May Tue 07, 2019 11:38 pm 

Yeah, maybe I'll get lucky next time. Thank you guys for the info, I really appreciate it. I'm glad I asked before I listed it as a Calrad speaker! Thanks again!