Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Wed 08, 2020 2:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bogen Challenger C100
PostPosted: Jan Tue 21, 2020 4:51 am 

This amp has suffered a short or disconnect of the speaker load and "wasted" the output transistors. RCA 965 232-02. They do cross to an ECG/NTE number but I was thinking someone on this list may have been over that road before, and might have found another satisfactory solution.
Thanks for reading....... Gord

Post subject: Re: Bogen Challenger C100
PostPosted: Jan Tue 21, 2020 8:34 pm 

Hello Gord.

Your numbers lead to a Bogen part number 96-5232-00
referenced here as a SKU (stock keeping unit) 96-5232-02
https://www.parttarget.com/5961-01-033- ... 7518B5D5F9

...which points to 2N5492

TO-220 package...
Datasheet: http://www.svntc.com/TPDF/214.pdf

Haven't you got the service manual + parts list?

Greg.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 22, 2020 12:07 am 

Thanks for that Greg. I have manuals for several models of the C100 but not the Challenger. I will follow this up and make progress here. This unit came out of the community skating rink about 20 years ago and seemed at the time too good to land in the dumpster. New filters and finals and it should have a new life in some public building. I have two more Bogens waiting for my attention, one suffered vandalism with all of the control shafts broken off and the other needs power supply filters. I am thinking that screwdriver slots in the still visible control shafts would discourage any more vandals and the controls could still be adjusted. Thanks again Greg, regards......... Gord

PostPosted: Jan Wed 22, 2020 3:26 am 

The Challenger C series ←(mentioned in first paragraph) can be found here...
http://makearadio.com/schematics/index.php

see→ Bogen C35, C60, C100 Amplifier. page one to five.
It shows Q101 to Q104 as 2N3055

Greg.

Edit: There are two 99¢ listings on eBay. Lot of nine and 11 pieces. lol
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... =1&_sop=15

PostPosted: Jan Wed 22, 2020 5:22 pm 

Thanks Greg, I will check that out.
Here is the story, the chap who is doing the work is a good (basement tech) from way back. He and I have been radio ops forever and are now getting near 80. I am still pretty able bodied, but he is having trouble getting around due to overwork and undercare, a situation which occurs in many men our age. Being mostly housebound, he needs something to work on and never seems to rest. Vintage radio sets are piling up with no one interested in buying and he has repaired almost all the projects he had "waiting in the wings". I, on the other hand have lots of projects not attended to which include the three Bogen amps along with assorted ham equipment. I take him a truckload of firewood now and again and with that a project or two. I am pretty sure, based on past experience that he will not install six of the same new transistors but will have a bit of a mix with what ever comes into the house first. So, I will have six new devices ready in case this first repair doesn't have a good outcome. I had to talk him into letting me order new electrolytic caps so that whomever installs the amp next, can be assured of some sort of useful service life.
Thankyou so much Greg, you have been a great help. I will check out these links you have provided.
Regards, 73, Gord, VE5UJ