Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 15, 2020 12:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stereo mode help with tuners
PostPosted: May Mon 18, 2020 4:27 pm 

tbone8 wrote:
Most all those 458's seem to have the black leads but I think it is a protective coating. A good replacement for those are the KSC1845 "F" gain code as 2240's are obsolete. I got a feeling the 1845's are gonna become obsolete as well so I would stock up on them while there are available.

KSC1845F will work yes, not as low noise as C2240 I can definitely tell the difference in EQ circuits. My source jacked the price up by 400%. C1344 is nice low noise alt too despite diff pinout and scarceness.

Yes what is plan B when On-Semi halts C1845F, perhaps a SMD variety? I do have a thousand stashed away. Mouser just went through a 50K stock in just a few weeks! On-semi has been EOL many through hole semis in their catalog, Is the writing on the wall?

Post subject: Re: Stereo mode help with tuners
PostPosted: May Tue 19, 2020 3:21 pm 

I'm not sure I've ever seen a tube stereo decoder that didn't need an alignment. The most important things to have are the alignment instructions, and a source of a left or right channel only modulated signal. An oscilloscope is also very helpful when peaking the 19kHz and 38kHz tuned circuits. An over the air signal is fine for peaking the tuned circuits, and an inexpensive stereo modulator designed for car use is fine for the single channel source.

If you're using a vintage MPX alignment generator, be sure it's working properly. I have an old tube based Sencore MPX generator which appears to work fine when it's connected to a modern PLL MPX decoder, but if I try to use it to align a vintage MPX decoder it results in very poor separation.