Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sat 26, 2020 3:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fisher 500TX, 800 and 800T Rebuild video
PostPosted: Jul Wed 15, 2020 4:46 pm 

Any comments on this rebuild?

Is the idea of using updated regulators and slightly larger resistors in come cases along with the 10 turn pots for the main output bias a better idea?

Along with the addition of the thermistor in series with the AC line, to protect the power switch contacts.

Fisher 800T Receiver Rebuild
https://youtu.be/s8EK5o-ammY

No this is not me....

I own two of these said receivers which I now just realized yesterday are 50 years old, and both suffer the same affliction, either the left or right channels cut out intermittently but after about an hour all is fine.

One is occasionally used in the garage while working there. It is is also always unplugged from AC when not in use.

Post subject: Re: Fisher 500TX, 800 and 800T Rebuild video
PostPosted: Aug Sat 08, 2020 1:02 pm 

Any comments on this rebuild? Is the idea of using updated regulators and slightly larger resistors Sure, why not. As long as the new parts exceed the ratings of the originals, there's no reason not to make the upgrade. Then again, I'd tend to question whether or not it is necessary if they are working the way they are

along with the 10 turn pots for the main output bias a better idea? Yes, if you want to go to the trouble and expense. I don't, but it's a good upgrade. 10 turn pots are far easier and more precise to adjust, and tend to stay adjusted since the original, single turn pots, take but a nudge to make a big change

Along with the addition of the thermistor in series with the AC line, to protect the power switch contacts. Again, can't hurt unless of course the thermistor opens up, in which case you've got a dead unit. I'd prefer a spike suppressor across the power switch contacts if you want to do this type of change

I own two of these said receivers which I now just realized yesterday are 50 years old, and both suffer the same affliction, either the left or right channels cut out intermittently but after about an hour all is fine. One is occasionally used in the garage while working there. It is is also always unplugged from AC when not in use.[/quote]. Might want to try cleaning the switches and controls.