Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 28, 2021 10:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: First-time Restoration: Scott LK-72 and LT-110
PostPosted: Aug Fri 13, 2021 6:06 pm 

Don Cavey wrote:
Tubologic wrote:
Don Cavey wrote:
There was another "Scott" company that came after H.H. Scott and was not associated with them.

Not "after", but before: It was E.H Scott, famous for their high end luxury very expensive chromed chassis radios....
I know about E.H. Scott and was NOT referring to them. There was another Scott company that made what looked like department store brand equipment. It was not E.H. or H.H. Scott. I have seen them on the auction site, but not lately.

Ah, OK. Then there was a third Scott Hi-Fi manufacturer I've never heard about.

But I am nearly sure the pictures posted are from E.H Scott (Radio Labs) since I have a similar Scott "Stereophone" console. The electronics were made by Stromberg Carlson, no idea for the turntable.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 13, 2021 9:43 pm 

one51 wrote:
  • Bias adjustment is very exact, easy to adjust to below 35mA as recommended for the output tubes with 25-turn 10k potentiometer.
  • I was able to keep the original Telefunken 12AX7's and the rectifier tube (Realistic Lifetime / marked Great Britain, possibly a vintage replacement itself).

I would certainly stick with the original rectifier tube until it croaked, just because they tend to be much more reliable and durable than the modern manufacture equivalents. If you have to, I recommend Sovtek - reasonably cheap and best reliability of the current bunch. I would alos suggest the series diode trick, it turned my 500 hour SOVTEKs into 6000 and counting. No matter what anyone says...

I would highly recommend at least trying JJ EC83/12AX7s - while they tend to have infant mortality problems, the JJs are *far less microphonic* than most Telefunken versions. In fact, that may be the cause of:

Quote:
  • ...the soundstage is fantastic especially on live recordings. I can really pinpoint everything, especially vocals. Great results!

• Of course, there is only a real soundstage on live recordings - everything else is "soundstage" created from mono tracks in a mixer board. However, you might be getting mechanical feedback through the Telefunkens, which is a common source of "magnificent concert hall sound*. Changing to reasonably-matched non-microphonic tubes will have no effect on the stereo performance, it will still be good - if it was in the source to begin with. It will go away completely or change radically if it was due to microphonic effects. teh fact that you seem to be gettiing moderately good stereo effect on studio recordings certainly suggests that.

Of course, at the end, what is preferably, I can't tell you. It's at least possible that you got the other components matched well enough to create an excellent image, and it's entire;y real, or you may just prefer the way it sounds regardless. I would never say you shouldn't like something, that is entirely up to you. You can always put it back if you don't like it.

Brett

PostPosted: Aug Sat 14, 2021 3:25 am 

Tubologic pinned it as a SC.... word coming in from owner is Stromberg broadcast stenciling has been found on or in cabinet.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 14, 2021 8:34 am 

Brett_Buck wrote:
    I would certainly stick with the original rectifier tube until it croaked, just because they tend to be much more reliable and durable than the modern manufacture equivalents. If you have to, I recommend Sovtek - reasonably cheap and best reliability of the current bunch. I would alos suggest the series diode trick, it turned my 500 hour SOVTEKs into 6000 and counting. No matter what anyone says...
    Brett

I have a TAD Chinese rectifier as a backup. Might check on the diode trick, heard of this but might not be necessary if the old tube survived this long.

Well, by soundstage I didn't mean everything sounds like a hall. Only that the stereo images sounds exactly as it should per recording (whether live or studio), which is often NOT the case of using crappy speakers or amplifier. But I'll keep these tubes in mind in case I need a replacement.

Now I've gotten the LT-110 to twitch again, the new rectifier tube gives full voltage so the old one must be dying (it only made 60V under load instead of 180). But it'll be 2 weeks before I'm back home to plug it into the amplifier and try out the reception and sound.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 31, 2021 10:38 pm 

Update: the LT-110 is live! Seems to work OK in my basement with a cheap wire antenna. I need to find out what kind of antenna is ideal and then put it somewhere above-ground.

The only change needed besides the caps was the rectifier tube, which was not giving enough voltage. A new one fixed that immediately (though I also ordered parts for a Si-rectifier swap, which thankfully weren't needed). Thanks for the tips & help here to get me started -- now I've got both pieces working perfectly!

Cheers, -Dave

PostPosted: Sep Wed 01, 2021 2:02 pm 

one51 wrote:
    Update: the LT-110 is live! Seems to work OK in my basement with a cheap wire antenna. I need to find out what kind of antenna is ideal and then put it somewhere above-ground.

The only change needed besides the caps was the rectifier tube, which was not giving enough voltage. A new one fixed that immediately (though I also ordered parts for a Si-rectifier swap, which thankfully weren't needed). Thanks for the tips & help here to get me started -- now I've got both pieces working perfectly!

Cheers, -Dave

Glad that things are going well for you, David. You have an excellent set of HH Scott pieces.