Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 20, 2021 1:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Saba 4000 automatic stereo 11
PostPosted: Feb Wed 19, 2020 12:02 am 

just got a beautiful Saba 4000 Automatic Stereo 11 console. All complete excellent condition. I am a newbie, should I try restoring myself or sell to a more qualified collecto?. Or should I just part it out? I do not want to get in over my head. But it is so damn lovely........Any Advice.

Attachments:
saba4000.jpg
saba4000.jpg [ 489.3 KiB | Viewed 3855 times ]

Post subject: Re: Saba 4000 automatic stereo 11
PostPosted: Feb Thu 20, 2020 3:49 am 

Hard to advise you on what to do as there are many variables to consider. Generally these type of consoles are not especially valuable. There are exceptions though, so you would have find a comparable to determine a monetary value.

As to whether you can fix it yourself, that depends on your ability and understanding. Some parts may be hard to find, but until you check it over you don't know if you need those parts. Paying someone to do a restore on it would be a judgement call on your part. Is it worth to you what a restore would cost? If you do it yourself, you have only your time to place a value on, but if you pay someone you have Their value of time to contend with.

It looks to be a clean piece of equipment, probably worth restoring to someone, whether that is you or someone else is your call.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 20, 2020 3:55 pm 

Insufficient data here since this is a lower profile brand (to me, anyway)...To make a judgement we need pics of the inside---- turntable, radio..etc, Is it a tube/transistot set? Do the front doors open to a storage area? What size woofers/speakers are in it?

PostPosted: Feb Thu 20, 2020 4:59 pm 

Information on similar radios:

https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/spectacular-saba

PostPosted: Feb Fri 21, 2020 2:04 am 

That there is a very high end stereo console. It was SABA's top of the line in the early 60's, using a Dual turntable, with remote controlled tuning, band switch, and volume control. It has dual push pull EL84 outputs and multi-way loudspeaker systems. It may have a reverb system and a tape recorder as well. These were fantastic performers and the rare examples that came up on Ebay fetched some big bucks. I don't know about today, as the last one I saw was many years ago. The thing is huge and very heavy. It is NOT something for a beginner to get involved with. The electronics on these are very complex and require someone with experience in working on them. Regrettably, there's very few people left willing and able to do the work. It's extensive, involving replacing a whole bunch of capacitors just as a start. The Dual 1006 is regrettably likely to be a lost cause, but could easily be replaced by a nicely restored 1009 or 1019. I specialize in SABA repairs, and will tell you that this thing is a real challenge to get back to proper working order. I'd own one myself if I had the room.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 21, 2020 9:06 am 

12-page service manual, German and English...
https://nvhrbiblio.nl/schema/Saba_Freiburg11.pdf

Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 21, 2020 12:02 pm 

Thanks JMset Obviously you know! I am sure you are right with my limited ability I will not attempt. Shame it is so lovely. It does have a Dual 1009. Looks like I will offer parts to anyone who can use them. Wish I had the knowledge and extra cash to have it redone. It was herold as "Then finest German radio ever made" And as you know TUBES. Thanks for your knowledge.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 21, 2020 2:21 pm 

egg wrote:
12-page service manual, German and English...
https://nvhrbiblio.nl/schema/Saba_Freiburg11.pdf

Greg.

The Freiburg 11 is a table set. This uses a similar chassis, but modifies it heavily for dual push pull stereo amplification. The schematics will not match. Radiomuseum.org has the correct schematic for it.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 21, 2020 2:23 pm 

mombo4646 wrote:
Thanks JMset Obviously you know! I am sure you are right with my limited ability I will not attempt. Shame it is so lovely. It does have a Dual 1009. Looks like I will offer parts to anyone who can use them. Wish I had the knowledge and extra cash to have it redone. It was herold as "Then finest German radio ever made" And as you know TUBES. Thanks for your knowledge.

Where are you located? Maybe someone can help you out.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 22, 2020 4:56 pm 

That is a very nice console. It would be a shame to part it out. Perhaps you could polish it up and just keep it in the house for decoration until you can find a way to electronically restore it?

The future would thank you.

Also, could we get a shot in the top and maybe one into the back? That would be great!

PostPosted: May Sun 16, 2021 9:22 pm 

Hello. Several years ago, I documented my Saba 4000 for a radio group in Germany. I'd forgotten just where I put it so I did a Google search. This post popped up and out of curiosity, here I am. If you are still interested in learning a little more, go to -- Oops. I guess new members cannot post URLs. Spammy? Try finding it in the image. I''m sure I can help if you need more documentation.

I moved from Iowa to south Texas a couple of years ago and my Saba came with me. It still makes beautiful music. It is not for sale. I have hopes that it will end up in a nice museum after I'm gone.

Attachments:
Link.png
Link.png [ 392.89 KiB | Viewed 1086 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Tue 15, 2021 12:12 am 

Thank you so much!

Just FYI: http://www.bancado.net/saba/