Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 26, 2021 9:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Who coined the term "Monoblock"?
PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 6:53 pm 

Dual Mono based on two separate power supplies ..... interesting. That would make any stereo amp that has just one power supply a Mono Stereo I suppose ??

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 7:00 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
Dual Mono based on two separate power supplies ..... interesting. That would make any stereo amp that has just one power supply a Mono Stereo I suppose ??

NOT "based"
"with" is the correct word.
A quad-mono block would have four separate identical amplifiers and each with a separate power supply.
A 5.1 - mono block, etc...
A 7.1 - mono block, etc...

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 7:03 pm 

Sorry I don't speak audiophile :roll: What's wrong with "Dual Power Amp" :wink:

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 7:07 pm 

manualman wrote:
ATC P1 Dual-Mono Power Amplifier.
A far cry from push-pull 6V6's :D

Attachment:
ATC P1_dual-mono amp.jpg

Since I can't see the back I'm not sure this is a Dual-Mono power amp. REAL Dual-Mono power amps must have separate AC power input receptacles (and power cords) and two power switches. This is to avoid inter-channel interference (diaphony) and improve soundstage (stereo separation).

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 7:12 pm 

Heh ..... so when would the term "Dual Twin Monoblock" be appropriate? For the aforementioned quad power amp? LOL.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 7:17 pm 

manualman wrote:
Barry H Bennett wrote:

NOT "based"
A quad-mono block would have four separate identical amplifiers and each with a separate power supply.

Sounds logical, but...

How would you call a 5.1 power amplifier with two power supplies ? (one for the most powerful main L/R stereo channels and another for the secondary - ambience channels. I've seen this configuration in some multi-channel amps.)

Now I'm starting to feel confused...

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 7:30 pm 

Quote:

Me too. But I've just decided that I really don't care all that much ;-). Stereo, mono, quad, dual stereo, dual twin mono, whatever......

Unless I'm buying one, it makes no difference

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 12:58 am 

Tubologic wrote:
manualman wrote:
Barry H Bennett wrote:

NOT "based"

Sounds logical, but...

How would you call a 5.1 power amplifier with two power supplies ? (one for the most powerful main L/R stereo channels and another for the secondary - ambience channels. I've seen this configuration in some multi-channel amps.)

Each channel has it own monoblock and power supply.
For 5.1 there are 6 mono amplifiers and separate power supply for each one of them.
For 7.1 there are 8 mono amplifiers and etc....

Sort of off the wall for the typical consumer unless big money needs to be spent and you really need all this to "Feel The Noize"

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 1:12 am 

If the amplifiers are making big power (e.g. the LFE channel) then you might start to worry about voltage sag on the inside AC wiring, the drop, even the distribution transformer. The only solution is an individual AC generator for each channel, each powered by its own prime mover (diesel engine or gas turbine).

-David

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 4:56 am 

On those 12 volt DC mono block 5000 or 8000 watt amplifiers for the car sub woofers, generally the users have to install some additional alternators under the hood to keep the 12 volts from sagging.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 5:48 am 

I like my single end, class A, 6V6GT amplifiers... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 11:18 am 

dberman51 wrote:
If the amplifiers are making big power (e.g. the LFE channel) then you might start to worry about voltage sag on the inside AC wiring, the drop, even the distribution transformer. The only solution is an individual AC generator for each channel, each powered by its own prime mover (diesel engine or gas turbine). -David

Excellent!! Now all you have to do is figure out a way to keep the low frequency rumble from the generators from causing the entire house to shake :shock:

That might be a moot point, since you won't be able to breathe with all that diesel exhaust anyway :)

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 12:00 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Dave Doughty wrote:
I always see ads and discussions about single-channel basic power amps often calling them "monoblocks". But I never see a stereo power amp being called a "stereoblock". Why? (Both terms seem silly to me.)

Note: This post was inspired by but not specifically directed toward a recent post about a monophonic amplifier.

Dave

Some people seem to have a need to use childish terms to identify with a culture, in this case audio phool culture where everyone has perfect hearing and they can't be seen to be using an ordinary amplifier. It must be special if it's called a monoblock.

It's the same "cool" that people get from "rolling tubes", or from using a "repo" part. It's just slang that makes them feel cool and "in with the crowd".

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 6:21 pm 

Mr. Highlander wrote:
I like my single end, class A, 6V6GT amplifiers... :mrgreen:

What is an amplifier ?

Maybe you mean a High Definition Audio Power Level Translator in Monoblock Single Ended Configuration ?

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 7:59 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
It's the same "cool" that people get from "rolling tubes", or from using a "repo" part. It's just slang that makes them feel cool and "in with the crowd".

The same crowd that starts every sentence with "So"...

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 11:53 pm 

manualman wrote:
On those 12 volt DC mono block 5000 or 8000 watt amplifiers for the car sub woofers, generally the users have to install some additional alternators under the hood to keep the 12 volts from sagging.
That, and one or two Farad capacitors...

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 2:17 pm 

The word “monobloc” is French, and is also used in Germany and other parts of Europe. This spelling was preserved in English, though in America the variant “monoblock” has become common.

It refers to something that is a single, often solid, unit. For example, a monobloc breech section for a double-barrel shotgun or rifle is forged and machined from a solid piece of steel, and the barrels are brazed or soldered into it, whereas in the traditional construction, each barrel and breech section is made separately, then aligned for the shot patterns or bullets to converge at a specific range, and soldered or brazed together, with the top and bottom ribs also made separately and soldered in place.

The term “monobloc” was applied to monaural audio power amplifiers at a time when stereophonic systems had become predominant, but some high fidelity aficionados preferred to employ two separate monaural amplifiers for stereo sound. My recollection is that this was some time in the 1970s. In French, the full term would be “amplificateur monobloc”.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 07, 2021 12:52 am 

Philip Colston wrote:
The word “monobloc” is French, and is also used in Germany and other parts of Europe. This spelling was preserved in English, though in America the variant “monoblock” has become common.

It refers to something that is a single, often solid, unit. For example, a monobloc breech section for a double-barrel shotgun or rifle is forged and machined from a solid piece of steel, and the barrels are brazed or soldered into it, whereas in the traditional construction, each barrel and breech section is made separately, then aligned for the shot patterns or bullets to converge at a specific range, and soldered or brazed together, with the top and bottom ribs also made separately and soldered in place.

The term “monobloc” was applied to monaural audio power amplifiers at a time when stereophonic systems had become predominant, but some high fidelity aficionados preferred to employ two separate monaural amplifiers for stereo sound. My recollection is that this was some time in the 1970s. In French, the full term would be “amplificateur monobloc”.

Etymologically this might be correct but according to your definition (something that is a single, often solid, unit) a stereo amp could also be called a "monoblock" if built in a one piece solid unit. There is a correct english word for this and it is "unitized".
In the audio(phile) terminology the "mono" part of "monobloc(k)" clearly means "monophonic" and is usually used to describe a single channel (mono) power amplifier.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 07, 2021 2:51 am 

Back in the hi-fi era it was conventional to refer to a power amplifier as a "basic amplifier" to distinguish it from an "integrated amplifier" which included the preamp and control stages. A basic amplifier could be mono or stereo. At that time "power amplifier" referred to the final (power) stage of the amplifier.

-David

PostPosted: Sep Tue 07, 2021 4:46 am 

In its original concept, for high power car audio, the 12 volt DC mono amplifier was in the shape of a block (see my earlier post pictures). Hence the descriptor, "mono block". Typically the block was just for the sub woofer speaker(s) but some used mono blocks for each channel.
Today's "So" generation morphed the term "mono block"/"monoblock" into any kind of mono tube or solid-state amplifier regardless of its shape.