Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 16, 2021 3:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pioneer Spec 2
PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 2:17 pm 

Hey everyone! I have taken a long hiatus from my vintage audio collection... A few years ago, I made huge change in my life and started running a small mechanical contracting business and bought a house, so many hobbies took the back seat. I am finally back at a point where I can start having fun with this stuff again. I have never forgotten all of the helpful people I have met on here; you all shed great insight into this world for me, as a young guy learning about awesome vintage audio!

Having said that, I broke out my old Pioneer gear the other day. I have a Spec 1 and 2, among a bunch of auxiliary components (CTF-700, Rd-1, TX-9500, ect). And the preamp seems to still work fine, but my Spec 2 is need of some professional attention. One channel has died and it's a shame. There was a gentleman I sent it to a number of years ago for repair but he has since stopped working on stuff.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a quality restoration service on this loved old amplifier? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Post subject: Re: Pioneer Spec 2
PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 2:41 pm 

vapcochris4 wrote:
Hey everyone! ...

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a quality restoration service on this loved old amplifier? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Chris, it may help if you were to update your profile to say at least what city you are near. Just a suggestion for starters.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 5:13 pm 

Done! Thank you for the advice!

PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 8:57 pm 

vapcochris4 wrote:
Done! Thank you for the advice!

Chris, now if there is someone even remotely near you, they may come forward.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 9:57 pm 

I've done a number of them. But shipping to Ohio and back would be outrageous. There is probably someone a lot closer to you. Try looking on AudioKarma or join up and post there. Skip over anyone that wants to "recap" it.... they have never needed that in my experience. There are a few that may need to be changed but unless you want to shell out a ton of money for not much return, just get it fixed, not "restored".

My 2c

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 2:53 am 

It's probably ready for a refurbishing, people sell cap kits on E-Bay. I worked on a couple of these used by a local band in the early 1990's. In every case they gave me with a channel out situation, it was the speaker relay that I was able to clean, the rest of the amplifier is pretty robust. People sell new relays for them too now, so the collector value gives it a lot of support today. Should be relatively easy to find someone to fix it up, it's not super complex.

-Mark-