Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 23, 2021 12:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA SHC-9 in great shape (1958?)
PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 7:18 pm 

My father recently passed and had an RCA Stereo Orthophonic High Fidelity SHC-9, dual cabinet stereo. The cabinets are in great shape - almost no scratches at all. The record player, external inputs and AM/FM radio work fine. It was purchased in the early 1960's by my father second hand and has remained in the house ever since. This is an iconic mid-century design that is in need of a good home.

He also had a Wollensack reel to reel, a couple of Sony reel to reels, and a bunch of records and record sets such as Bing Crosby's collectors editions that are in nearly perfect condition. There are a bunch of 78 RPM and 33 RPM records, as well as dozens of tapes with music on them. My mother would like to get rid of everything but has no idea how to go about all of this.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the advice. Everything is in the Milwaukee area.

Attachment:
20210905_115144_01.jpg
20210905_115144_01.jpg [ 821.24 KiB | Viewed 341 times ]

Attachment:
20210905_104448.jpg
20210905_104448.jpg [ 576.81 KiB | Viewed 341 times ]

Post subject: Re: RCA SHC-9 in great shape (1958?)
PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 9:23 pm 

I think in this case the best way would be to place an ad on your local CraigsList website.

You can also post an ad in our Radio Classified section after reading and understanding the special rules for using that section.

Selling and buying items in this and other forum sections on this site not allowed.

Dave

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 11:39 pm 

Thanks Dave, that gives me a place to start.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 11:57 pm 

I am guessing that the console is too large to ship. If that's the case, your sales opportunities are limited to a more local audience. Perhaps if you have an antique radio or TV club in your area, they could help. Where approximately are you? It's easier to offer specific advice with specific informaitn at hand.

As far as the records, a local antique shop, if you trust them, could probably steer you better to getting the most from them. Perhaps they would even be interested in buying them. Records are funny things these days.. the ones you'd swear should be worth a LOT, never sell, and visa versa.

Our antique shop here has a guru of records... that's all he does. So find yourself one of those, that can be trusted to give you accurate information. Be prepared for lower offers than you might think....a dealer will accept that a certain percentage of any wholesale purchase of records is going to be relatively worthless, and adjust the total price for that.

Then again, if you want to look up every record, you can get an idea what current sales prices are like for any given record. But even here, there are complications. First pressing, second pressing, different jacket types, and over all this, the condition of the jacket, and the record.

So, it's complicated ;-)

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 2:27 pm 

Your local Facebook Marketplace will usually get great results....much better than Craigslist...IMHO.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 1:10 pm 

Thanks everyone for the replies. Hopefully I can find a good home for everything eventually. No hurry for me..