Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 19, 2021 6:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Heathkit XO-1 Crossover unboxing
PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 10:29 pm 

I thought some might be interested in what I picked up this weekend. The box was open but it didn't seem like the contents had ever been removed. Those Mullards haven't seen the light of day for 60 years. Unfortunately there are some small spots of corrosion on the face(of all places), but in all, not too bad.

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 538.64 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 543.34 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 651.42 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 544.04 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 491.54 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]
6.jpg
6.jpg [ 634.63 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]

Post subject: Re: Heathkit XO-1 Crossover unboxing
PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 10:37 pm 

Sorry, I forgot to say, it cost me $30.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 11:27 pm 

TBonius wrote:
Sorry, I forgot to say, it cost me $30.

Just about 1/10 to 1/20 of the amount it could sell for if you decide to put it on the well know big auction site.
Better to keep it untouched...

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 12:02 am 

wowzzers!! I'd be building that in a heartbeat. I don't care WHAT it would sell for ... perhaps I'd sell it after I had built it but how many more chances are we going to get to relive our childhood this way ? :D

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 12:22 am 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
wowzzers!! I'd be building that in a heartbeat. I don't care WHAT it would sell for ... perhaps I'd sell it after I had built it but how many more chances are we going to get to relive our childhood this way ? :D

Me too, but...

like many collectible vintage items found untouched in their original packing there's allways a dillemma.

This is particulary true for unbuilt vintage electronic kits which are part of history: there might be still hundreds of (assembled) XO-1's around but this one might be the VERY LAST ONE in unbuilt form in the world. Maybe there are other less destructive ways (in a collector's perspective !) to "relive our childhood" than building the last Heathkit XO-1 ?
Add to this the fact that in the Heathkit range the XO-1 crossover was a very low production item and is therefore much rarer than their VTVM's or scopes they sold by millions.

It's up to the O.P to decide to build it or not but he sould be aware that once assembled the value will drop significantly and the process is irreversible.

Did I say dilemma ?

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 12:48 am 

If it were an amplifier I might be more prone to consider assembling it. But if I put it together, I'd have to put new capacitors and possibly some other components in it and it just wouldn't be the same. I like the time capsule that it is. I know I could easily make some money on it but I think I'll keep it around for awhile.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 2:22 am 

Of course, audiofiles will go nuts for those NOS Mullard 12AX7 tubes.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 5:56 pm 

Of course the electronic crossover would have been considered audiophile equipment when it was new ,and if the state of the art hadn't been pushed in the past the average equipment wouldn't sound so good today .

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 6:03 pm 

Nice find. Great price too

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 7:23 pm 

Not a dilemma for me. I'd build it in a heartbeat. If someone want's to chastise me for ruining perceived value or forgoing a financial opportunity I suggest they purchase these unopened kit's themselves with their own money then donate to a museum. :D

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 10:39 pm 

Dale Saukerson wrote:
Not a dilemma for me. I'd build it in a heartbeat. If someone want's to chastise me for ruining perceived value or forgoing a financial opportunity I suggest they purchase these unopened kit's themselves with their own money then donate to a museum. :D

Hear, hear Dale. I am of the same opinion. About a year ago, I bought a Knight-Kit vacuum tube oscilloscope NOS, in the box. It wasn't cheap. However, I made it's way to the bench and I assembled it over a period of two weeks. I loved it! All new tubes and any paper capacitors and/or electrolytic capacitors that were out of spec were not installed. But the NOS electrolytic capacitors formed up quickly and had normal leakage. I enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 11:21 pm 

Don Cavey wrote:
Dale Saukerson wrote:

Hear, hear Dale. I am of the same opinion. About a year ago, I bought a Knight-Kit vacuum tube oscilloscope NOS, in the box. It wasn't cheap. However, I made it's way to the bench and I assembled it over a period of two weeks. I loved it! All new tubes and any paper capacitors and/or electrolytic capacitors that were out of spec were not installed. But the NOS electrolytic capacitors formed up quickly and had normal leakage. I enjoyed it.

I admit being guilty of having assembled a few old N.O.S kits and noticed some have aged better than others. I didn't used the original paper caps for reliability reasons and some electrolytic cans who refused to reform had to be replaced. Surface oxidation on the chassis and some electrical parts were another issue but everything worked well at the end. In another (EICO) kit all parts were found to be in perfect condition and the kit was successfully assembled using all the original parts. I only build N.O.S kits if I have a real use for the finished product, otherwise I leave them untouched sleeping in their "time capsule", and I really don't care about their value since I have no intentions selling them anyway. My recommendations were for the O.P to help him decide to build/sell/keep as is/ the kit he found. (he decided for the last option which is fine).
Next one on my bench will be a Heathkit TM-1626 stereo microphone mixer for which I already ordered better quality parts (low noise MF resistors and audio grade capacitors,...), it's probably rare in unbuilt form but I intend to use it for basic recording purposes. The biggest project would be my (unbuilt) Heath AJ-1510A digital tuner but since I already have two of them (assembled) and the future of analog FM broadcasting is uncertain in Europe I don't think I'll ever build it.

Don, I remember (and followed) your posts about the unbuilt Knight (KG-2000 ?) scope with nice pictures illustrating building steps but can't find it right now. Did you ever posted pictures of the finished (working) project ?