Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 15, 2020 1:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sony TC-630
PostPosted: Apr Thu 12, 2012 9:33 pm 

In my experience the worse the cap the slower the motor up to and including not running at all. IOW, losing torque and being overcome by friction.

Might as well go through all the mechanics, eh? I mean, that was a LONG time ago.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 13, 2012 4:49 pm 

Yes replace the motor capacitor. A good going through the mechanics will be beneficial. Clean all the old grease off everything that has grease on it then apply new grease. WOuld be best to get a service manual before doing any dissasembly. Also should consider replacing the electrolytic capacitors on all the PC boards.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2012 7:20 am 

I just picked up a Sony TC 630. not in the best of shape. The speakers are missing as is the speed select knob.

I picked this up just to transfer some late 60's communication tapes between my parents and I to modern media. And they are on 1-7/8 speed.

I downloaded a PDF service manual from hifiengine.com but most of the diagrams of where to oil etc are too black to read.

Anyway after removing and relubing the wheels etc it turns out that the horizontal spring that engages a wheel to the capstan and flywheel is weak. at 1-7/8 Everything seems to work if I put some extra tension on this spring. I am wondering if anyone has new springs or should I just take a couple of rounds up on this one. I should say that at 7-1/2 speed everything stops rotating except the motor and capstan unless I put a LOT of tension on that spring.

Thanks

PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2012 7:23 am 

tom wrote:
I just picked up a Sony TC 630. not in the best of shape. The speakers are missing as is the speed select knob.

I picked this up just to transfer some late 60's communication tapes between my parents and I to modern media. And they are on 1-7/8 speed.

I downloaded a PDF service manual from hifiengine.com but most of the diagrams of where to oil etc are too black to read.

Anyway after removing and relubing the wheels etc it turns out that the horizontal spring that engages a wheel to the capstan and flywheel is weak. at 1-7/8 Everything seems to work if I put some extra tension on this spring. I am wondering if anyone has new springs or should I just take a couple of rounds up on this one. I should say that at 7-1/2 speed everything stops rotating except the motor and capstan unless I put a LOT of tension on that spring.

Thanks

Replace the idler wheel - it's not the spring.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2012 11:29 am 

Idler wheel. Need to either replace it or try this stuff http://www.reelprosoundguys.com/RestoreKit.html

PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2012 7:45 pm 

ok, anyone got a idler wheel?

PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2012 8:09 pm 

If your idler wheel has no cracks in the rubber try the stuff I mentioned first and see if that helps any unless of course someone has a good idler wheel.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 20, 2012 9:12 pm 

Ok, not trying to start a argument here but

How soft of rubber are these wheels supposed to be. I'm guessing there are no very new wheels available.

And when the unit is in 1-7/8 speed the spring is just hanging there, there is no tension on the idler wheel.

And the capstan is knurled for the faster two speeds but smooth for the 1-7/8 speed.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 21, 2012 12:58 am 

Dis-assembly and cleaning is in order to correct issues due to 40 year old grease.
Replacement rubber is in order if 40 year old drives slip.

Otherwise, a thread with 4,000 posts ensues.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 21, 2012 4:57 am 

LOL

Thanks, I have cleaned and relubed most of the moving parts including all the wheels.
In this area nothing is hanging up anymore. Chunks of hardened lube fell out of some of the springs.

This wheel is hard, not cracked but you can't leave a fingernail imprint in it.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 21, 2012 7:07 pm 

so I found a replacement pinch roller kit and a belt replacement kit. hopefully these fix the problem. I will also try to clean and re grease it. Any suggestions on the brand of grease to use? I'll have to figure out the caps when I crack it open.

thanks G

PostPosted: Aug Fri 16, 2013 9:52 pm 

Fantastic post! I just retrieved my TC-630 from storage and am having the slow motor problem. Now I know how to fix it.

I kept this machine running for years with constant lubing and replacing record heads, pressure pads and pinch rollers. Next problem is getting motivated to work on it once again.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 16, 2013 11:45 pm 

chucke wrote:
Fantastic post! I just retrieved my TC-630 from storage and am having the slow motor problem. Now I know how to fix it.

I kept this machine running for years with constant lubing and replacing record heads, pressure pads and pinch rollers. Next problem is getting motivated to work on it once again.

1.5µFD motor run capacitor?

PostPosted: Aug Sat 17, 2013 12:30 am 

Yup. It's gotta be the capacitor by all indications in this blog. My tape will run close to proper speed at 7 1/2 when it's in the middle of the reel, but will start slowing down as it gets to one end or the other of the reel. At 3 3/4 it runs even better, but I don't want to keep experimenting before trying a new capacitor. I may burn out the motor or something tragic like that. The hassle is ordering a capacitor that will cost twice it's value in shipping. And then dismantling the machine just so I can listen to a bunch of old recordings.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 17, 2013 12:56 am 

Well worth it though.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 17, 2013 3:31 am 

Don't continue to use the machine until the capacitor is replaced. The motor is likely running very hot and could be damaged.

-David

PostPosted: Aug Sat 17, 2013 3:43 pm 

dberman51 wrote:
Don't continue to use the machine until the capacitor is replaced. The motor is likely running very hot and could be damaged.

-David

Plus 1 for what David has said...

PostPosted: Aug Mon 26, 2013 12:57 am 

Fred Longworth wrote:
On p. 957 of the current Mouser catalog is this--

5989-630V1.5-F

This is a miniaturized 1.5uF 630 VDC capacitor rated at 250 VAC. It's about 1-1/4" wide, 1.0" tall, and 3/4" thick. The maker is Cornell Dubilier. For 1.0, 1.8 or 2.2uF, simply change the suffix. It may not be able to handle the current, though. About $5.00.

A better choice may be this from p. 962, a device made by Epcos--

871-B32674D6155K

This is also 1.5uF. It is somewhat larger, but costs less because it is not miniaturized, like the one listed first. It has a higher current capacity. For 1.0uF change the suffix to 6105K, and for 2.2uF change it to 6225K. About $2.50.

Fred

Hello Fred,

I have been rereading this post and I have found the suspect cap. But mine has several leads and seems to be multifunctional. There are 3 posts. One is labeled "C." Another is "1.5" but the third is "0.5." The outside of the cap has 1.5uf +10-5% and 0.5uf +10-10%, 250 W V AC. There is a brown wire connected to the 0.5 post that goes somewhere over by the power input/speaker amp area. Hard to trace. The schematic shows a switch between the 0.5 and 1.5 posts. Maybe I don't ever need the 0.5 when running 117v input? I'm thinking of just leaving the brown wire disconnected from the 0.5 post and hook the rest of the wires to the new cap. What do you think?

PS. I just put the new 1.5 cap in place of the old one. I used the suggested one from your previous post -
"A better choice may be this from p. 962, a device made by Epcos--

871-B32674D6155K

This is also 1.5uF. It is somewhat larger, but costs less because it is not miniaturized, like the one listed first. It has a higher current capacity. For 1.0uF change the suffix to 6105K, and for 2.2uF change it to 6225K. About $2.50."

I left the .5 brown wire connected to the old cap along with the wires connected to the "C" post and just pulled the wire from the 1.5 post and put it on the new cap and attached that to the "C" post, also. I figured I had it licked but it didn't accomplish anything in improving the speed problem.

Bummer. So, the next, logical step is fixing the rubber wheel that turns the idler. I removed the cover and watched the rubber wheel spin, but the contact obviously was not solid as the large, idler wheel didn't engage hard and run fast. I'll try the refurbishing rubber solution mentioned earlier in this post. The rubber doesn't appear to be damaged in any way. There are no cracks and it isn't soft or gummy. Hopefully, my next post will be about my success.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 29, 2013 1:30 am 

You guys do what you think best, here's what I've tried in the past on hardened rubber. I used fine sandpaper to roughen them a bit and expose some fresh rubber beneath the glaze. Best to do this with the tire turning. You can clean them with a scouring pad to help, keeping in mind they may be brittle or cracked. I used to have a bottle of some nasty solvent with some tiny grits. Mix the grits into the solvent and apply with a brush. This stuff usually didn't help all that much.

-Ed

PostPosted: Aug Thu 29, 2013 8:20 pm 

That extra 0.5uF is probably used when the mains are 50Hz. With lower frequency, you need more capacitance to get the same reactance. It's more than 6/5
(more like 6/5 squared), because the motor windings have less reactance too.

Dave