Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 15, 2019 5:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Home Built 6V6 Amp
PostPosted: Jul Thu 13, 2006 4:18 am 

Hey guys , im looking to build a mono 6V6 tube Amp . i have a load of 6V6 tubes and said what the hey . id like to build 2 for stereo . any one know of anyplans out there for makeing a simple 6V6 mono amp? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Thu 13, 2006 11:28 am 

Why not design it yourself? You will be amazed at how much you can learn by digging out the parameters from tube manuals and experimenting.

Post subject: VT 52
PostPosted: Jul Thu 13, 2006 3:05 pm 

Go here, http://www.angela.com/ Check out the "how to section" they have a couple that are simple and solid. These are single end, if you are looking for a push pull I have a good one that I can email to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Thu 13, 2006 6:45 pm 

This one is really popular. Everyone who builds it is amazed. Spec'd for stereo, just build two power supplies if you want monoblocks.

http://www.audiotropic.net/Projects/machine1.html

-e

PostPosted: Jul Thu 13, 2006 8:22 pm 

e thats nice design, and his build notes great. The OP trannys he recomends are a bit expensive, but darn good, one may want to look at Hammond or Transender if you need to save a few$ .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Thu 13, 2006 8:35 pm 

The opt need not be expensive. Lots of 8K choices. Dynaclones for an ST35 would probably be super. $65 each at triodeelectronics.

Poinz is pretty sharp, and seems happy to help build it.

Check out his transmission line speaker. I couldn't build that in a million years.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 13, 2006 10:11 pm 

-e WOW He is a craftsman. I have never even attempted any thing like that, but with his plans and notes... naw I would end up with an nick name like Lefty, or no thumbs. His choice of Fostex speakers for this project is my current favorite, he has good taste in sound. woops, that may bring the wrath of the audiophiles that Tom AE6XD says are lurking in this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Thu 13, 2006 11:35 pm 

Poinz knows his stuff. I would love to have speakers like that, but I can't make 'em myself - I would be a lefty too - and I can't afford for him to build 'em. In the mean time, his 6V6 amp is definitely on my list of things to build. I have some ESS speakers that need a little tlc that would be a perfect match. So many projects, too little time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 14, 2006 3:48 am 

Thanks guys ill see what i can do :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 14, 2006 4:41 am 

When I was in High School, 1966, I copied a Motorola amp that was 6V6 PP. It sounded great. It had a Merit OPT and I still have a couple of those Merits that are NOS. I want to build one of these again. I have to find the schematic though.

But, I have to say that I am spoiled by my collection of amps that use 7189A and the ones with 7591A outputs. Neat stuff, just about the end of tubes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 14, 2006 12:52 pm 

My dad and I built a push-pull 6V6 amp when I was in 8th grade in 1959. After finishing it, I thought I was in heaven. The schematic was found in an issue of Popular Electronics. It was the same circuit that Ed Jacobs posted a while back which does not use a phase inverter, but I think his uses miniature tubes. The grid of one output tube is grounded and the cathodes are tied together using a common bias resistor. Mine used a 6SJ7 preamp/driver, a pair of 6V6's and a 5Y3 rectifier. The circuit is simple and uses very few parts. If I can find the schematic, I will post it. You don't need to spend a lot of money on this.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 14, 2006 1:03 pm 

What you're describing IS the phase inverter... it's a differential amplifier with one input grounded. Works great.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 14, 2006 3:50 pm 

The amp that I built back in the 60s that was Motorola used 6V6PP, 5Y3 and I am sure either 12AU7 or 12AX7 tubes. What I would lik to do is find that schematic and use 12SL7 or 12SN7 tubes. I think it would look really neat. Maybe about 10 wats RMS output? What I don't think that I have is a power transformer but I will have to look. I will not use paper capacitors. Even though they are not vintage looking, I think Orange Drops may end up lurking under the hood.

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 14, 2006 10:56 pm 

Matthew,

Here's a 10 watt 6V6 push-pull high fidelity amp that I built several copies of when I was your age. It works very well, and uses easy-to-find parts that you could scavange from some old radios or amplifiers (or buy new at reasonable price).

This one has tone controls and a preamp, so it's an all-in-one integrated amp that's probably right up your alley.

http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/view_p ... amp_page_1
http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/view_p ... amp_page_2
http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/view_p ... amp_page_3
http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/view_p ... amp_page_4
http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/view_p ... mp_page_4b
http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/view_p ... amp_page_5
http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/view_p ... amp_page_6

It has a nice description, chassis layout with dimensions, visual wiring diagram, schematic, etc. It doesn't get much better than this for a build-it-yourself amp (other than to have a kit with all the parts!).

These pages are taken from "Electronics Made Easy" by Lothar Stern (1956 publication). I checked this book out from the library many times in the 1970s, and eventually got to keep the copy when the library discarded it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 15, 2006 8:27 pm 

It looks very similar to the Knight-Kit 83-YX-753 from Allied Radio. In 1958, it cost $23.50. I'll take about a case of 100 of those kits please! (Don't I wish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sun 16, 2006 1:19 am 

At the end of the parts list on page "4b" above it says that "A complete kit of parts is available from Allied Radio Corp., stock No. 83SX234, for approximately $21." I guess by 1958 the price had increased to $23.50. The pictures in the article show a nice pre-punched chassis with silk-screened control labels, so I imagine that is what the kit version looked like.

When I built this in the 1970s, I followed the layout exactly. Made my own chassis out of sheet aluminum. Didn't have a metal bending brake, so I would score the aluminum with a knife to get it to bend sharply where I wanted it to. I was too cheap to buy a commercial chassis (which was easily available at that time).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sun 16, 2006 2:47 am 

Don Cavey wrote:
The amp that I built back in the 60s that was Motorola used 6V6PP, 5Y3 and I am sure either 12AU7 or 12AX7 tubes. What I would lik to do is find that schematic and use 12SL7 or 12SN7 tubes.

Don

You can use a 12SN7 in a 12AU7 circuit, but the 12SN7 doesn't have a CT filament so you hafta run it on 12V. Some believe that 12V filaments increase hum, but you could run the filament on DC if this legend bothers you.

My HB 300B amp uses 6SN7s because they're cheap and plentiful unless you opt for the designer varieties that supposedly "sound better". Mine uses Admiral brand 6SN7s :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sun 16, 2006 3:29 am 

Oops! My mistake, I meant 6SN7 and 6SL7 if there was such a thing. I must have had a stupidity attack again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sun 16, 2006 3:38 am 

Tom Albrecht wrote:
At the end of the parts list on page "4b" above it says that "A complete kit of parts is available from Allied Radio Corp., stock No. 83SX234, for approximately $21." I guess by 1958 the price had increased to $23.50. The pictures in the article show a nice pre-punched chassis with silk-screened control labels, so I imagine that is what the kit version looked like.

I have seen that Allied amp in both chrome chassis and painted so there were different versions over the years. I have bid on them from time to time but they go too high. I have one of the KM-15 amps that uses 6BQ5 outputs. It is really cute and they go high too (except when I am selling one!!!) Actually, I had about 5 of them and brought all of them back into working condition with very little effort. The failure points are the filter capacitor and the 220K plate resistors on the 12AX7s. Those resistors are sort of a dark green in color and they go way high in value.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 31, 2006 2:12 am 

Here is the schematic for the SC amp that I am playing with in the shop now. It sounds pretty good. A 6SL7 can be used instead of the 6SC7 (different basing). 6F6s work fine for the 6V6s too. 5V6 tubes are available much cheaper that 6V6s if you can find a five or ten volt filament transformer.