Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sun 16, 2019 11:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Is E. H. Scott 800B considered "Hi-fi"?
PostPosted: Sep Mon 04, 2006 4:21 am 

I have been casusally looking for a setup (pre-stereo) that would have been considered hi-fi for its time. For instance, I know that Leonard Berstein and others famous in music had custom units made by E. H. Scott. What brands and models might fit that catagory? (An 800B radio chassis and amp recently sold on eBay for a little over $200 plus shipping. That would be in my budget, even if it needed some work.)

From the banks of the Big River, currently living in the lapse of luxury!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 05, 2006 1:52 am 

The 800B is certainly one of the finest sets built following the war. It would rank with the best of te day. Other good picks would be any of the Capeharts with the turnover changer, the RCA Berkshire sets, and the Scott 16A Metropolitan, which was the last true Scott.

The 800B Scotts are often found in rough shape, so be sure you know a lot about what you're looking at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sat 16, 2006 5:30 pm 

There are plenty of seperates from the mono era, including the Marntz 1 preamp with phono turnover and rolloff controls and the Marantz 2 power amp. Scott btw: made a mono control amp, one of which I used in the sixties.