Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 20, 2019 10:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Remember when power output was real?
PostPosted: Sep Sun 10, 2006 2:30 am 

My son is 15 and thinks he is a rock star. So i've been looking for some speakers for him to use for his band. Well i'm lucky enough that my neighbor is a professional musician and he give us these MR Series JBLs. The only problem seems to be the missing carrying handles. These things are professional series made in the USA sound reinforcement speakers. He also throws in a couple of 700 watt amps which have problems and I can't really get them to work.

So before I go invest in a new amp (or hours trying to get these fixed) I want to make sure the speakers are good. So.. I figure i'll dig out the ole' vintage 1979 vintage 300DC/3650 combo I have.

I hook the speakers up to the 300DC and drive the setup with my iPOD and all I can say is "anyone ready for a block party?"

I litterally had the neighbors coming over and telling me to turn it down! hehe. I am simply amazed at this marantz ability to drive these speakers. It literally has a bigger power tranny and weights more than the 700 Watt (350per) amps that came with the speakers.

RMS countinous baby!!!!!

Steve

Last edited by targeteye on Sep Sun 10, 2006 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sun 10, 2006 3:20 am 

I well remember the days of the manufactures all having their own way of stating amplifier output power. And of the Ad Hoc committee that was formed to try to bring some honesty and consistency to the testing and measuring methods. They used to do things like measure power at 500hz or at 25 percent distortion, sometimes for just a few seconds before the power supply would shut down! Or state power in stereo mode but drive one channel only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sun 10, 2006 3:34 am 

I have to admit being old enough to remember this power issue. In the late 50s, it was common to see power rated in RMS. Then, they came out with "Watts IHF" and since that number was higher, you know what they started using. It even got difficult if not impossible to even find out the RMS output. Of course, all of the above issues about came into play as well. You had to be sure that they stated, "Both Channels Driven...". In addition to my Scott equipment, I do use a Sansui 9090DB receiver on a daily basis. 125 Watts RMS per channel. It is a product of the late 70s power war. Isn't it interesting how the Marketing Department seems to win out all of the time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 12, 2006 4:56 pm 

Steve, et al...

Re: Power Wars

>"I litterally had the neighbors coming over and telling me to turn it down!"<

Ah shucks...I thought all who lived in Katy had multi-acre estates and could play rock 'n roll as loud as they pleased!...Hmmm

>"Isn't it interesting how the Marketing Department seems to win out all of the time?"<

But seriously--well kinda--the power output wars that existed in the Sixties, Seventies and perhaps Eighties were nothing more than what had occurred in the auto industry at about the same time...A product of a testosterone driven marketing philosophy and practice founded on the assumption and awareness of the average buyer's ignorance of specifications so stated for a vehicle's or audio power amp's performance...As a member of that 18 to 34 age group, the horsepower column of an engine's spec sheet and the power output column of an audio amp's spec sheet were most likely the two columns first looked at by potential buyer...Many would look no further and the marketing guys were savvy to that.

FWIW

Bruce
WC5CW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 13, 2006 4:13 pm 

Keyop wrote:
....But seriously--well kinda--the power output wars that existed in the Sixties, Seventies and perhaps Eighties were nothing more than what had occurred in the auto industry at about the same time...A product of a testosterone driven marketing philosophy and practice founded on the assumption and awareness of the average buyer's ignorance of specifications so stated for a vehicle's or audio power amp's performance...As a member of that 18 to 34 age group, the horsepower column of an engine's spec sheet and the power output column of an audio amp's spec sheet were most likely the two columns first looked at by potential buyer...Many would look no further and the marketing guys were savvy to that.

FWIW

Bruce
WC5CW

Bruce,

I was born in 1948 so I can really identify with your statement. Yeay, I looked at the HP of a car too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sat 16, 2006 5:28 pm 

Many modern amps are honest and straightforward about their power output in watts. Take a popular Krell amplifier for example. 200 watts into 8 ohms, 400 watts into 4 ohms and 800 watts into 2 ohms. All from 20 to 20k at rated distortion.

Well, when paying $10,000 plus for an amp I want the truth...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sat 16, 2006 5:43 pm 

I agree that they seem to have gotten their act right now. "Truth in advertising"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sat 16, 2006 7:10 pm 

The FTC (Federal Trade Commission) has been in charge of
preventing manufacturers from over exaggerating amplifier
power output since 1974.I do not know how much enforcing
they really do.It seems that they were recently cracking
down on personal computer speaker systems and subwoofers.
Regards,
Swanson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sat 16, 2006 7:49 pm 

Probably the car audio people are the worst offenders. They may come under a different authority.....

Post subject: Re: Remember when power output was real?
PostPosted: Sep Mon 25, 2006 7:12 am 

[Hello="targeteye"]
well those JBLs are great speaker they are Efficent it does not take much watts to make them work I have used lot JBL speakers in my custom build speaker cabinets that I use my speaker program to design also to let you know you can go to JBL pro website and look up the speacs of those speakers also what is the brand of those amps I mite be able help you fix them. I use JBL synthesis speakers for my home theater .
sincerely Radio Rich
P.S. I also have Marantz av9000 preamp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 26, 2006 2:32 am 

Ah, but the FTC must have lost their hold on things. Look at all the surround sound systems out there that are boasting about 125 or 250 watts per channel, adding up all five channels to boast a figure of a full KW. And all this in a rack-wide, 1.5 inch high, 8-inch deep box with a built-in DVD player and a 3 amp line fuse.

Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 26, 2006 7:39 am 

Steve, Dean, et al...

>"Ah, but the FTC must have lost their hold on things."< -- Dean

I was thinking nearly the same thing yesterday while viewing the ads in the local Sunday newspaper as submitted by several of the chain electronics dealers...And in particular a SONY home theatre system having 5 speakers matching the specs Dean has mentioned above...Is it that each of the speakers has its own amplifier and separate power supply? (and all for a $299 sale price?)

Bruce
WC5CW