Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sat 15, 2019 9:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: KLH Model seventeen speakers
PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2006 5:58 am 

I have a pair of KLH model seventeen speakers. I'm not sure what year they're from. I had them connected to an old milovac (have you ever heard of it!!??) 8-track stereo and they sounded GREAT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2006 6:06 am 

Umm, yeah, KLH are good speakers.
What is the question?

Yes I heard of Milovac, clock radios, pocket transistors, and 8 tracks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2006 10:00 am 

T R L...

If my memory is correct, I believe the KLH model 17 speakers were produced in the late 60's or early 70's...I can remember their two-way design with nice oiled walnut veneer cabinets and a wall-to-wall classic grill cloth as was popular then...I had always been attracted to Acoustic Research speakers (the AR-3a!) and the KLH speakers, but as a college student in those years and then later a struggling teacher I never seemed to have the funds...Later, when my brother purchased a pair of Advents I was really quite impressed with their sound as driven by his solid-state Yamaha receiver...Little did I know at the time, that Henry Kloss was behind the designs of speakers from all three manufactures in that era.

And I used to enjoy the reviews by Hirsch and Houck (hmmm, not sure of the spelling here)...Wasn't there an absence of audiophile "lingo" in those reviews?...And were they not pretty good reviews in that era?

Bruce
WC5CW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2006 12:38 pm 

KLH's Model Seveventeen was introduced in 1965 and sold for $69.00 each(most often bought in pairs). It was a slightly smaller and less expensive version of their fomous Model Six which was first sold in 1958. The Seventeen had a 10 inch woofer with a treated cloth surround for extended cone travel....they were of acoustic suspensin design which Henry kloss had help introduce to the World back in 1955 while he was at Acoustic Research, U.S. Patent No. 2,775,309 issuued in 1956. KLH set up a speaker making lab in 1957 and was one of very few comanies who wound their own voice coils and made their own speaker cones, Bozak being one of the other speaker makers. Henry Kloss was an amazing audio pioneer, and has been inducted into the Audio Hall of Fame, The Consumer Electronics Hall of Fame and was awarded an Emmy for his 50 years of outstanding work. He sadly passed away in 2002.
I've always been very impressed with every pair of KLH speakers i've bought (I have about 25 pairs). If you really want to hear a fantastic speaker, try a KLH model Five, it's a four driver, three way sytem with BIG sound.
These Acoustic Research and KLH speakers pioneered what is known in the audio World as "The New England Sound".....a softer mellow output which complimented tube amplifiers. I recommend buying them when ever you see them, yard sales, church fairs, etc. even decent buys can be had on ebay....you won't be sorry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2006 4:13 pm 

Drew...

Very nice bio...And thanks for the tips on the model 5...I had not much knowledge of Henry Kloss nor any of the other speaker pioneers of the era but whatever the "New England Sound" was it impressed me enough to cause me to be fixated on AR and KLH speakers back then.

Thanks...

Bruce
WC5CW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2006 6:02 pm 

The Model Five is the hot one with collectors and have been bringing $100-200 per pair on ebay. It has a woofer with a large 6 pound magnet in addition to 2 mid-range speakers and a wide dispersion tweeter......a very robust unit
My article about Acoustic Research should be published soon in a upcomming issue of Antique Radio Classified www.antiqueradio.com
They published two of my articles on KLH recently, 1. "KLH Raises the Bar" in the June 2005 issue and "Kloss Brings Modular hifi to the Masses" in the March, 2006 issue. They can be viewed online by searching Issue Archives, left column of their homepage on their website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 20, 2006 6:18 pm 

T R L, et al...

Thanks, Drew...Last evening I did some snooping around on the internet and came away with the impression that many folks agree with your comments...Lively activity in cross-over repairs and some cap mods would suggest a reasonable respect for the KLH speakers from that earlier era lives on...Kinda nice to know that this, in part, affirms my earlier judgement.

Bruce
WC5CW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 20, 2006 6:58 pm 

Thank you Drew for the information. I knew that you were gathering serial numbers in order to have a better view on Kloss’ production.

I knew that the Model Thirteen was quite rare but I was not sure only 2000 of them had been produced.

I enjoyed your articles very much.

Here are the links to them for those who want to know more.
George

http://www.antiqueradio.com/Jun05_Hayden_KLH.html

http://www.antiqueradio.com/Mar06_Hayden_Kloss.html