Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 18, 2019 7:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Amp comparison-Scott and Fisher
PostPosted: Oct Tue 10, 2006 2:22 am 

I've been listening to a Scott LK-72B that I went through a while back, replaced leaky caps, etc, etc. Thought it was pretty good. But my wife brought home a Fisher X-101-C and FM-50B tuner from a garage sale trip. I had to work on the amp a little, but it's got a set of good 7591 tubes, new coupling caps, and wow. I'm in awe!!!! It's the closest to my McIntosh amp I've got. These Fishers are good sounding amps.

My wife paid $5 for the amp and tuner.

Anybody want a LK-72B? It's available!! Seriously!

Just had to rant!

Wally Gibbons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Tue 10, 2006 3:18 am 

Wally,
Gee, I wish I could find deals like your wife did!

Regards,
Sal Brisindi

Last edited by Sal Brisindi on Oct Tue 10, 2006 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Tue 10, 2006 3:48 am 

It's got something to do with the 7591 tubes. Seriously, most good amps using 7591's have extremely pleasing sound quality. One thing about that tube over many other output tubes is they have high gain for their size, when biased right and in a good circuit with lots of iron in the transformers like the Fisher has, you can run them LOUD without distortion. Much louder than you would ever need to with efficient speakers. My favorite is the Eico ST70 (and ST40 close behind) which are about the equals of the Fisher. One of my friends has a pair of MC30's running 6L6's and the only difference I can hear is the Macs are very slightly more bassy due to having even bigger and better output transformers, but not enough better to be worth what they sell for today.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Tue 10, 2006 4:08 am 

Well, the LK-72B has 7591 outputs too, and bigger output transformers. All these amps I'm playing with have 7591s for output tubes. I expect the McIntosh to be the best. But I didn't figure the Fisher to beat out the Scott.

I used to have a Eico ST-40. And a ST-70. They are fine amps. My current Eico favorite is a HF-87.

Wally

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Wed 11, 2006 1:06 am 

Hi Wally,

PM Sent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Wed 11, 2006 12:30 pm 

Perhaps different amps can behave differently with the same set of speakers attached. Since the impedance/load of a speaker varies with frequency, I wonder if the feedback circuits are affected.

Dave