Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Tue 25, 2019 9:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sansui 350A
PostPosted: Oct Tue 10, 2006 10:44 pm 

Hi everyone--

I have a Sansui that has some burned out display bulbs. I can't seem to find any "fuse lamp" style bulbs. They are 6.3 V/0.25 amp. Anyone know of a source/a substitute?

Thanks.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Tue 10, 2006 10:48 pm 

Try MCM

"AC volts and DC volts and little lamps and lities..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Tue 10, 2006 11:22 pm 

Thank you Jim. It looks like MCM does have them in stock.

You(or anyone else) wouldn't know of a local source...? That might be hard, but anything helps. I know that Radio Shack doesn't carry them as well as a couple of local lighting stores.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Wed 11, 2006 12:08 am 
Silent Key

I usually rely on the local Auto Parts stores for bulbs that I don't have and can't wait for mail ordering them. It surprized me at what they often carry, as a lot of radio bulbs were the same as used in some cars. But this style of bulb in six volt, I would think it was a radio only bulb. Simply because by the time these bulbs came out, all cars were 12 volt systems. But keep in mind the auto parts stores for future needs.
Curt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Wed 11, 2006 12:22 am 

Thanks guys.

Looks like I might have some more problems.

The signal strength indicator(i think that is what it is), only registers about 1 on the scale. I still pick up stations, but the FM Stereo light doesn't come on. The bulb is fine.

Does anyone have a schematic for this radio?? Adding an antenna seems to make no difference in the signal strength. What might be the cause of this problem?

Thanks for any help.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Wed 11, 2006 12:22 pm 

Since this is a piece of vintage audio equipment, I have take the liberty of moving it to the Vintage Audio section.

I've bought these bulbs from MCM before. They come in 3 different voltage/current ratings. There is an 8-volt version that might last longer in this applicaton.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Wed 11, 2006 7:09 pm 

Thanks Dave, looks like MCM is the place.

Anyone have any ideas about the FM Stereo light that I mentioned earlier?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Fri 13, 2006 8:21 pm 

Hi everyone--

I was able to get the signal strength indicator and the FM stereo lights to respond. I made some adjustments to what looked similiar to trimmer caps. I recently did a lot of work to a old silvertone tube radio and that is what gave me the idea to try adjusting some of the so called "trimmers." Granted I could have messed somethiing up, but it seems to function much better.

I am still looking for a schematic however. This Sansui is much more complicated than the Silvertone. If anyone knows of a source I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Tue 24, 2006 8:11 am 

In reference to your original question I asked my local TV repair shop and he ordered them for me, I had them in my hands within 3 days. He then got suspicious and asked what they were for. When I told him, he asked if he could buy it from me!! Turns out he is a fan of the old Sansui Quads and my QR-6500 was something he woudlnt mind owning. Be careful, I walked in needing bulbs, and walked out needing another project!! :)

-Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Tue 24, 2006 8:03 pm 

Hey, thanks Bestland--

I also ended up finding the bulbs at a local radio repair shop...he had them in stock.

Still wondering about a schematic or in the least the tuning procedure...I think I have it pretty well adjusted, but I could be completely wrong.

The good thing is it is clean, lights up and the volume isn't scratchy when adjusted up and down.

So far I am happy with it.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Tue 24, 2006 8:19 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/SANSUI-ORIGINAL-350A-SERVICE-MANUAL_W0QQitemZ320037308565QQihZ011QQcategoryZ296QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Would something like this be good enough? The only thing I dont like about it is the face that he has kinda spooky feedback and no picture. If a copy of the manual is ok with you try this guy... http://cgi.ebay.com/SANSUI-SERVICE-MANU ... dZViewItem

-Jeremy

PS. It seems those dial lights burn out a-lot. You might consider going with the LED version if you use the amp a-lot, they should outlive all of us.