Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 20, 2019 4:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: foam tape for AA-14 restoration
PostPosted: Oct Thu 19, 2006 12:48 am 

I'm restoring an old Heathkit AA-14 audio amp and I'm just about done except for a couple of things. There's a lighted window with the legends for the various controls. It came off the front panel and I'm not sure what sort of double-sided tape they used or where to get it. (Looks like this chassis may have also been used for a tuner for another of their kits.) It's clear and maybe 3/32 wide and was used along the entire length of the top and bottom of this window. I could probably use rubber cement, but I'd like to use a similar tape if at all possible.

Related to this, they also had the person assembling the kit put some narrow (about1/4" wide), thin, black foam tape around the window so the light from the lamps would only illuminate the control legends printed on the window and not leak down around the control shafts. I need some of that too as the stuff in the amp had disintegrated.

Scott Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Thu 19, 2006 2:36 pm 

check with a local body shop supply company. 3M makes the black double sided foam tape in several widths. I can not remember the company name but it is also made in clear. This is used in the body shops to attach moldings, emblems, and such