Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 17, 2019 10:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 6109 Tube?
PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2006 5:44 am 

Can anyone help me? I have an old amplifier and there is a tube (I believe preamp) that I can't get any informatioin about.

It has 9 pins, looks like a 12AX7 type, and on the glass is printed horizontally "CBS" with "6109" printed vertically. I can't make it out entirely but between the CBS and 6109 is printed "Made in USA." The matching pair tube is ECC83.

I searched google and a few tube sites but they come up empty.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2006 1:13 pm 

That's probably a date code. If the tube in the other channel is ECC83, then it is a 12AX7 variant.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2006 2:40 pm 

Date code...interesting. First time I read of date codes on tubes. Learning so much everyday.

Thanks Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2006 7:15 pm 

Yes, they had to put date codes onto tubes to prevent fraud, such as customers returning used tubes that were cleaned up to look like new ones, or unethical dealers reselling used tubes as new ones.

All tubes and most major components like controls, transformers, etc. will usually have a date code somewhere.

Also at some point in time manufacturers used water soluble lettering on the tubes so that if anyone did try to clean them, the brand name and date code would wash right off, making them impossible to return or resell as new tubes.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.