Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Tue 25, 2019 5:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: AR-2aX Speakers, How Do You Get Inside Of It???
PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2006 7:39 pm 

I recently received a very nice pair of vintage AR-2aX speakers. They look very nice and but I have one problem. I know that the pots that control the midrange and tweeter are either intermittent or open. I was able to get one going with the usual careful rotation of the leve pot on the back. However, in one speaker nothing will get that tweeter going. I will bet the tweeter is OK and the pot is either dirty or open.

Now here is the question. How do you get inside? Usually, the grill cloth comes off but the cloth on these don't seem to want to budge. I don't want to damage them so I thought I would ask if anyone has ever gotten inside of one of these? Usually, you can remove the woofer and get to the pots/crossovers etc. Anyone ever done it?

Thanks in advance....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2006 8:27 pm 

This site will tell you how it is done

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~postr/bapix/AR_2ax.htm

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2006 8:40 pm 

Thanks Dave, I will try that,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2006 11:18 pm 

If you have the early type of 2ax with a serial number below 125,000 it will have the woofer with a cloth surround. in 1969 AR switched to anew woofer using a foam suround, these rot out after 10-15 years and will nead to be replaced....it's not hard to do. See my article on AR in the Oct. '06 issue of ARC for AR history at www.antiqueradio.com Aticle title is "Acoustic Research and the Acoustic Suspension Loudspeaker".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 29, 2006 7:14 am 

My 1965 AR-4 speakers used tiny staples, about 3/16 inch wide, painted to match the grille cloth and driven through the grill cloth and its backing board at about 6 places. To get in, you find and pull the staples, lift off the grill cloth panel, then remove the woofer. And unpack the fiberglass packets until you get down to the crossover.

A magnifier and bright light are useful to find the staples.

On my AR-4 crossovers, the slip ring that makes contact with the pot rotor was corroded - apparently a poor plating job. Cleaning the slip ring helped for awhile, but they corroded again.

Be careful, the woofer cone is easily punctured. And be sure to get a good seal between the woofer and baffle when you replace it. I believe they originally used 3M automotive strip-caulk for the seal.

Layne Audio http://layneaudio.hypermart.net/AR.htm
is a source for AR replacement parts.

--Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 29, 2006 4:08 pm 

I was able to get one of the grill cloths off. I notice that the cloth is not original. It was essentially glued in place in the corners. That is why I could not find the staples. It is very similar to the cloth that Bang & Olufsen used on their S-75 and S-45 speakers. I would like to find a source of the original. I checked the links that you guys have posted but it seems that the cloth is not available.

I will take the woofer out and check the pad. I am sure it too is in bad condition. Worst case, I can just jumper the pad until I get a suitable replacement if it is not repairable. Has anyone ever tried to use No-Oxide paste on something like this? I use No-Oxide on battery terminals and it seems to stop corrosion and is not conductive.

As for the serial numbers, one is 69571 and the other one is 69573 or 69578, I can't make out the last number. The woofer does have a cloth surround and I am happy about that. However, there does seem to be a foam ridge about 1/3 of the way down the cone toward the voice coil and that is essentially gone!