Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sat 15, 2019 10:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing Marantz Receiver Lamps
PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2006 11:09 pm 

Went to a Ladie's Club rummage sale today and scored a working Marantz 2245 receiver for (you won't believe it) $4. Sounds great, but all of the dial scale lamps and the signal strength meter lamp is bad. Looking around the web, it seems that there are several versions of the "fuse type" lamps available. Also looks like the meter lamp may be soldered in. So.........two questions; 1) anyone know which lamps this model requires, and, 2) do I pull the faceplate to replace them, or go in through the back side of the front panel assembly? Thanks for any insight.
Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2006 11:15 pm 

Ben,

I have done a few of these but I don't remember which way you access them. That being said, that makes me believe that it was very easy. There is always someone on eBay that sell them. The right price is no more than $1.00 each. There are basically two versions. One is 8 volt, the other is 6.3 volt if I remember correctly. You may want to measure the voltage on the socket to see which is correct. There is a guy in Colorado Springs that sells them too.

I get mine locally here in Baltimore at Baynesville Electronics. The only place that I know that still has replacement caps, resistors etc. for high voltage electroncs. (Translated: Vacuum Tube!)

EDIT: You can use the 8-volt version and it will last longer if you have 6.3 volts there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2006 11:57 pm 

Thanks, Don.
Good idea on measuring the voltage. I think I'll pull the faceplate since it needs a good cleaning anyway, and see what is revealed about the lamps. If I can lay eyes on one, all questions will be answered. The meter lamp may be more problematic, but we'll see. Thanks again,
Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 29, 2006 12:01 am 

Ben,

Be very careful when you clean that faceplate. I think the Marantz is no problem but if it were an HH Scott, you will wipe every letter off of the faceplate with the first swipe. Don't ask me how I know!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 29, 2006 12:24 am 

That's quite a good buy even at many times the price you got it for!!

Marantz units of that vintage were very high quality, and have many followers who still use them regularly.

I agree the 8 volt lamps are the best choice. They are slightly less bright, which is not a problem, and definitely last longer.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 29, 2006 2:49 am 

Removed the faceplate and found that the dial scale is sealed from behind, so no progress on getting at the bulbs. The embssing on the faceplate seems etched into it, so I think it will clean up with soap and water without problems. Studying the lamp situation from the back, found that the assemblies (2) that hold the bulbs can be moved back to gain access to the bulbs by removing their mounting screws. Got a bulb out and its an 8V. Ordered 8 new ones from the guy in CO who is now selling on eBay. $10.15 including shipping. Soon my blue dial will glow again! :D Interesting aside, the former owner had marked the faceplate with red marker for his favorite stations, so these bulbs must have been burned out for a while!
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Mon 30, 2006 4:21 am 
Try MCM. They have 8V, 250ma fuse lamps at a much better price than any of the Ebay sellers.
BOB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Mon 30, 2006 4:15 pm 

Hi Ben,

Glad that you were able to get at the lamps. It hqas been a few years since I worked on my cousin's Marantz fleet. He had about 4 of them. I seem to remember that it was not a picnic to replace them. The Sansui 990,9090,990DB and 9090DB all use the same type of lamp. I suspect the less powere version, the 8080 etc. does as well. Big problem with the Sansui is that the lamp socked becomes loose from the PC board that it is soldered to. Simple fix but annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Mon 30, 2006 10:20 pm 

Maybe I am mistaken, but I recall getting to the dial lights by removing the "light circuit board", held by several screws. I think that I am referring to your model...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Tue 31, 2006 5:43 am 

The Sansui does use a light board that has the fuse-type sockets soldered thru the plastic into the board. Easy fix when you have a "blinker"....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 01, 2006 2:39 am 

A Marantz 2245 is a very nice receiver. I got mine back in 1975. I was working for a radio-TV repair shop and was out on a house call. The lady of the house received a complete Marantz system as a promotion when she bought her new home. All of the equipment was still unopened in boxes stashed in her new basement. She was very satisfied with her Sears Silvertone console stereo and was very happy to sell the all of the Marantz stuff to me for $100.
I used it until I got my Pioneer SX-1010 then I gave it to my brother in-law. He discoed with it for about 10 years then he gave it to my son. He used it for about 5 years then he gave it back to me. I serviced it and gave it to a friend who is still using it today. The original box is out in the garage filled with radio parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 02, 2006 11:17 pm 

Great story, Doug. This thing seems to be built like a tank! Got the bulbs and installed them. Here's a pic.
Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions :D
Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 03, 2006 12:20 am 

Ben,

She looks great! Isn't it a rewarding feeling to bring this vintage equipment back to its original glory? Well Done!