Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Fri 20, 2019 6:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: rookie question of the week
PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2006 2:50 am 

Back several years ago when I was looking for 45 audio output tubes for a Philco 96 a good ole tech told me (grumbled) that audio philes had driven the prices of them up. I had no idea what he meant at the time and I still am puzzled. Reading threads in another folder it was stated that the interstage transformers did not really have a great frequency response ( in those late 20's sets), so, What do audio philes do with them? Are they audio outputs of redesigned push and pull amplifiers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2006 3:16 am 

The Japanese, and others, highly prize early filament type power triodes for single-ended output stages, commonly referred to as SET. Most of them wouldn't even consider building a push-pull output stage.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2006 4:16 am 

The interstage and output transformers have nothing to do with what tubes put through them. You can get just as good fidelity from a 45 as you can from a 6L6, provided you use high quality audio transformers. You just don't get the high power level from a 45..just nice class A audio.

If you want to construct a new class "A" tube amplifier, try using a 6AS7 for the output. The Japanese haven't noticed them yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2006 4:36 am 

There are American audio nuts who go for antique triodes too, though not as many as there are overseas. I can't speak for Korean or Chinese builders, but the Japanese seek out the rare and hard-to-find. The more effort expended in assembling an audio system, the better. Not too different from collectors anywhere. But in Japan, a "hobby" (they don't call it that) is a socially acceptable way of standing out, and is taken seriously.