Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 19, 2019 1:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: OTR listeners, Does this feed have distortion?
PostPosted: Oct Tue 08, 2019 3:45 am 

Hi all,
I listen to several Old Time Radio station on Internet radio.
I listen mostly to 20th Century Radio, but there is another one with programming that I like, but it seems to have a distortion problem.
That one is named Hanks Gumshoe. I listen to it on my internet radio and my cellphone and on both devices the sound is distorted.
If I listen to the feed on my computer it seems to be OK.
I am asking for someone to listen to 20th Century radio and Hank's Gumshoe and see if you think 20th Century is much easier on the ears.
I also would like you to use devices other than streaming on your computer.

btw, I listen to a dozen other feeds and Hank's is the only feed where I have a distortion problem.
I also note Hank's is slightly louder than any other feed, but turning the volume down is not the solution to removing the distortion.
I think something in their chain is over driven.

Thanks, Mike Knowlton

PS, I have sent an email to the feed, it hasn't been long yet, but I just want others to confirm what I am hearing.
Some programs are worse than others, but I think they always have some distortion.

Post subject: Re: OTR listeners, Does this feed have distortion?
PostPosted: Oct Tue 08, 2019 2:54 pm 

My observation is that whoever is setting up the feed to TuneIn or whatever stream is being used is not checking levels.... Just checked Hank on TuneIn and it was set up LOUD!.... Also the particular show I was listening to had noise limiting and compression set far, far too aggressive... I would not want to listen to the whole show.

Those are problems that an experienced streamer ought to know how to mitigate.

Robert

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 3:23 am 

Robert Lozier wrote:
My observation is that whoever is setting up the feed to TuneIn or whatever stream is being used is not checking levels.... Just checked Hank on TuneIn and it was set up LOUD!.... Also the particular show I was listening to had noise limiting and compression set far, far too aggressive... I would not want to listen to the whole show.

Those are problems that an experienced streamer ought to know how to mitigate.

Robert

Oh good, it's not just me, I have not received any feedback yet from my request.
I just did a short listen, at the moment the distortion is there but tolerable, however it does create additional background artifacts that are slightly delayed after the audio.
I'll wait another day or two and then send another request to fix it.
I don't know how it all works, but I suspect the problem originates at the studio before it gets digitized and put on the server. I use Reciva for my internet radio streams and with my phone I use an app called Simple Radio,
they both have distortion.
Thanks, for the input,
Mikek

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 2:24 pm 

I have now received 4 emails from Hank's Gumshoe.
#1, "The gain is set to high. It works if you turn the volume down. At least for me. I will try and lower the gain. Thanks for the info.
Dave "Hank" Henry"
#2, "Thanks! I will try and turn the gain down.
Hank"
#3, "Thanks, I'll look into it.
Hank"
#4, "Check our new format ............... http://www.1670am.net/hanksgumshoe/"

So I checked the link he sent.
I responded,

" Hi Dave,
I'm sorry,
I checked your link,
> http://www.1670am.net/hanksgumshoe/
on my computer, IT HAS HORRIBLE AUDIO!!!

Not only the distortion, but artifacts coming up in the background.
I listened during,
Series: The New Adventures Of Michael Shayne
Episode: Case Of The Constant Companion.

I apologize for being harsh, I just want to be able to listen.

Thanks, for your help with this.
Mikek"

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 4:05 pm 

Oh, I didn't know we had this category, thanks to whoever moved my thread.

If I can't get the distortion problem corrected myself, I may ask for more voices to
contact the engineer involved. But not yet, he seems to be aware of the distortion, as he told me to turn down my volume. But that's not the problem, I often listen on a pillow speaker on very low volume and the distortion is still there.
I don't know why it is difficult, unless all of his archive has been digitized along with this problem.
I hope not.
Mikek

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 5:16 am 

I got what is probably a last response, because I don't see any further solution to the problem, and maybe he has made an adjust that helped, I have checked yet.

Here is the last response I received from 'Hank's Gumshoe'

"I check my radio software and turned the gain down. I have 4,000 plus shows on the software and some of the shows are marginal. I have tried my the best but several I couldn't save and had to delete. So some of the bad audio maybe from some of the marginal shows due to poor originals and over processing some. Some have pops etc but if you can follow the narration I have included them. Every night from around 10 PM to 6:30 AM my entire band width is maxed out with listeners on my servers in London, UK. I have more servers in Texas which run on the new format. I have checked with Texas and there are no problems and I have checked here in Florida with the same results. The shows aren't perfect, that is for sure. I have series from South Africa, Australia, UK, Canada etc and some are great and some not so great. I am constantly searching for new shows and and have around 1,000 more shows that are cleaned (the best I can do) to add to Gumshoe and Old Time Radio. It is impossible to listen to these shows in their entirety and a commercial might sneak in once in awhile. I am sorry you are having problems listening but everything checks out on our end.
Dave "Hank" Henry"

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 12:44 pm 

I listened to at least part of 4 shows on 'Hank's Gumshoe' last night (11:15 to ... Central time), I think he got the distortion problem taken care of. There was only one show that might have been very slightly over driven, but it was not enough to make it difficult to listen to and I only noticed in a few passages.

Robert. if you care to listen again and give your feedback, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Mikek

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 1:24 pm 

Just listened to a Nick Carter on Hank's using TuneIn.... Maybe not as much clipping... Still using awful compression and equalization. And still would not listen to that stream because of it.

If you listen to the Nick Carter shows on Archive.org there is less clipping and not using the awful compression.... For listening on Archive, all I need to do for many shows is use my old trusty Radio Shack graphic equalizer in line to my old Boston Acoustics three-way powered speakers.

Robert

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 6:42 pm 

You have me confused, who is Nick Carter, why would he be on Hank's Gumshoe.
But it doesn't matter, it looks like most of the problem has been resolved.
In my last email I tried to explain (to Hank's) that max gain is not the most important thing,
We have plenty of gain in our devices.
"Hank's Gumshoe" has higher volume than any of 8 other streams I checked.
And that's not good, because if I go to Hank's I need to turn my volume down and if I leave Hank's,
I need to turn the volume up.
I hope he does a little more follow up.

Mikek

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 7:18 pm 

The show I tuned in this morning when I went to Hank's was playing an episode of Nick Carter - Master Detective. A show that Wikipedia says ran for most of 10 years in one form or the other on Mutual. I listen to the series every once in a while...

Robert

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 9:40 pm 

Robert Lozier wrote:
The show I tuned in this morning when I went to Hank's was playing an episode of Nick Carter - Master Detective. A show that Wikipedia says ran for most of 10 years in one form or the other on Mutual. I listen to the series every once in a while...

Robert

I looked up Nick Carter and got some singer!
The changes he made helped, it doesn't look as though he plans
on making it completely right. He seemed to have blamed a little of the problem on his archived files.
"So some of the bad audio maybe from some of the marginal shows due to poor originals and over processing some."
I'm listening to Jeff Regan (Jack Webb) on Hank's as I write, it is just a little hot, but I don't find it unlistenable.
Much better than before, I put Hank's back in as a detent on my radio.
I try to go for a walk at 6pm and listen to Dragnet on 20th Century radio. I really enjoy the OTR!

Mikek

PostPosted: Oct Sat 19, 2019 2:51 am 

Hi all,
I have given up on just my complaints making any difference here.
The problem is I listen to Hank's Gumshoe on an internet radio cellphone and computer, I find most programs are distorted and just difficult to listen to. I have had several emails back and forth with Dave, it seems to run the place.
He said in one exchange that he turned something down, and I thought that helped, some.
Hank's is considerably louder than other feeds, I don't know if Dave thinks 11 is always better when setting levels or if most of his collection was digitized with the distortion included.
But over time, I just find most programs hard to listen to on Hank's Gumshoe.
He sent me this link and said there's is no distortion on this feed, he's wrong!
http://myradiostream.com/station/flashp ... s21&p=9714
I'm asking for others to listen using whatever device you have, if you hear a problem please report it to Dave at, david@echoesfromthegoldenageofradio.com

I like the programing, and would appreciate having this feed of this type of old radio programs.
I'm hoping some more complaints will stir some corrective action.

Thanks, Mikek