Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 13, 2020 2:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Public domain radio shows?
PostPosted: Dec Tue 31, 2019 5:10 am 

Haven't many of the old radio dramas passed from copyright into public domain by now?

Post subject: Re: Public domain radio shows?
PostPosted: Dec Tue 31, 2019 8:38 am 
Site Admin

There would be a lot of material classified as public domain if Congress didn't keep extending the copyright terms (thanks to lobbying over Mickey Mouse). Many of the old shows are basically abandoned, with nobody claiming ownership, so trading is freely done. If suddenly there was a profit motive behind ownership, there could be copyright claims made.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 31, 2019 6:41 pm 

Thank you, Alan. This topic has always been confusing to me, even when consulting a chart such as the one that can be found at https://copyright.cornell.edu/publicdomain. I'm assuming that radio programs that aired would be considered "published" and so programs aired before 1947 would begin entering public domain in 2022.

Concerning claims to ownership, it would be helpful to consult a list of the OTR programs with accompanying information about history of ownership for each of them. If anyone is aware of such a list, please let us know. I am particularly interested in radio drama.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 28, 2020 7:46 pm 

For many years OTR programs have been sold in stores on cassette and CD produced by public domain distributors.
If you go on OTRRlibrary.org, very few series show up as "copyrighted".

Radio Spirits, out of Illinois has been selling them for decades with no copyrights attributed to their releases that I know of.

It is a good point, though, that from time to time people claim to own the rights to certain series, but if you just use them for your own playback and don't try to resell them, that is a safer path.