Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 23, 2020 9:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Mercury Theatre
PostPosted: Aug Sun 23, 2020 3:08 am 

I've been enjoying listening to some old Mercury Theatre plays directed by and starring Orson Welles. I have them on CD which I broadcast to my 1933 GE model K-64 radio. He does a great job and paints such a vivid picture in your mind of whatever is going on, its a nice change from watching TV. In a way it feels like you're more involved when your listening to the plays on the radio than watching TV. Nice to have another form of entertainment while our choices are limited by the bug going around.
I had a bad interference problem in my living room but it turned out to be an easy fix, unplug the transformer that powers the wireless headset. Even when I wasn't using the headset it caused a huge amount of interference.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

Post subject: Re: The Mercury Theatre
PostPosted: Aug Sun 23, 2020 5:15 pm 

CBS mystery theatre is now available online as well - "with your host E. G. Marshal."

https://www.cbsrmt.com/

PostPosted: Aug Mon 24, 2020 11:49 pm 

Britbox recently offered a 1939 adaptation of Agatha Christie's The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd. Welles did a pretty good Poirot, but I'm spoiled for David Suchet's interpretation.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 24, 2020 11:57 pm 

I listen to old time radio shows almost every night after dinner before I put on the TV. I truly enjoy using my imagination with these great shows. I can see every scene just as clear as with TV. I can even put together what the actor looks like by their voice, or should I say, the way I personally visual them.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 25, 2020 12:22 am 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
I don't sleep well, awake every couple of hours and I have been like this for as long as I can remember. Thanks to the internet and my iPhone6 I am able to stream old time radio at night. I downloaded an app called "MyTunerRadio" and I was able to find several streamed OTR internet sites. I bought a set of wireless earbuds so that I can listen to one ear at a time and still sleep on my side.

A couple of my favourites are "Broadway Is My Beat" (it has great descriptions and scene setting), "Dragnet" (one of the better police shows I think) and "Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar", (simply for it's imaginative story lines).

PostPosted: Sep Fri 04, 2020 3:16 am 

decojoe67 wrote:
I listen to old time radio shows almost every night after dinner before I put on the TV. I truly enjoy using my imagination with these great shows. I can see every scene just as clear as with TV. I can even put together what the actor looks like by their voice, or should I say, the way I personally visual them.

I've been listening to the old shows most nights too. To me the dramas and mystery/horror shows are the best, a lot of the comedy is pretty corny. The "Bickerson's" isn't bad. I was disappointed when I tried " Our Miss Brooks", although it wasn't too bad. I really enjoy the NBC Theatre and Peter Lorre's Mystery Theatre.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Sep Fri 04, 2020 10:52 am 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
decojoe67 wrote:

I've been listening to the old shows most nights too. To me the dramas and mystery/horror shows are the best, a lot of the comedy is pretty corny. The "Bickerson's" isn't bad. I was disappointed when I tried " Our Miss Brooks", although it wasn't too bad. I really enjoy the NBC Theatre and Peter Lorre's Mystery Theatre.

Yes, the mysteries/suspense are brilliant, but for comedies you have to like rather juvenile jokes. Amos and Andy, Fibber McGee, and Duffy's Tavern are enjoyable. I have to throw in Abbott and Costello just because I loved them as a kid. If you enjoyed "I Love Lucy" on TV, as I did, you also like "My Favorite Husband" with Ball. It's literally a radio version of the TV show with most of the same plots.
The same writers just went back to those old scripts for the TV show.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 04, 2020 11:34 am 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
decojoe67 wrote:
but for comedies you have to like rather juvenile jokes.

I do enjoy them. I am going to stick my neck out here and say that given a choice between the sexual innuendo and gratuitous violence that is unendingly shoved down our throats on TV and internet, I find the simple humour and comedy funny and relaxing.

For more adventurous and mysterious shows I enjoyed "The Adventures of Harry Lime", "Bold Venture" and "Broadway Is My Beat".

PostPosted: Sep Fri 04, 2020 3:58 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
decojoe67 wrote:
but for comedies you have to like rather juvenile jokes.

I do enjoy them. I am going to stick my neck out here and say that given a choice between the sexual innuendo and gratuitous violence that is unendingly shoved down our throats on TV and internet, I find the simple humour and comedy funny and relaxing.

For more adventurous and mysterious shows I enjoyed "The Adventures of Harry Lime", "Bold Venture" and "Broadway Is My Beat".

Very well put. I too respect the innocent fun of years past. Look where our open and liberal attitude has gotten us! :(
For mystery and suspense my faves are The Whistler, The Inner Sanctum, Escape, Suspense, The Molle Mystery Theater, and The Mysterious Traveler, just to name a few. The Lux Radio Theater had some very well done radio adaptions of classic movies too. I should mention that the 1970's hour long CBS Mystery Theater episodes are very good also. It's hard to notice that they weren't made in the '40's. They even had many old-time radio stars on them.