Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Mon 10, 2021 9:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A really creepy, and good "Lights Out" episode
PostPosted: Dec Sun 08, 2019 7:27 pm 

If any of you have never heard this one, and you like suspenseful stories, listen to this one. One of my favorites:
https://archive.org/details/LightsOutol ... ppened.mp3

Post subject: Re: A really creepy, and good "Lights Out" episode
PostPosted: Dec Sat 28, 2019 3:09 am 

This is the episode which made me vow never to listen to "Lights Out!" again. The first episode I heard was "Chicken Heart," which, prior to my hearing , was something I thought Bill Cosby made up. It seemed just silly to me, but *this* episode - - yikes!

PostPosted: Dec Sat 28, 2019 10:52 pm 

FineTuner wrote:
This is the episode which made me vow never to listen to "Lights Out!" again. The first episode I heard was "Chicken Heart," which, prior to my hearing , was something I thought Bill Cosby made up. It seemed just silly to me, but *this* episode - - yikes!

Yeah. You can really visualize this one. When I first heard it I suspected something was going to go wrong, but I never thought the story would take that twist!

PostPosted: Dec Sat 28, 2019 11:29 pm 

I prefer "Escape," "Suspense!," for example, to horror. Have you heard "The Thing On the Fourble Board?" It's a "Quiet, Please" offering. I listened to it a long time ago because it was on someone's list of scariest OTR shows. I'd be interested in your opinion, if you've heard that one.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 29, 2019 1:59 am 

FineTuner wrote:
I prefer "Escape," "Suspense!," for example, to horror. Have you heard "The Thing On the Fourble Board?" It's a "Quiet, Please" offering. I listened to it a long time ago because it was on someone's list of scariest OTR shows. I'd be interested in your opinion, if you've heard that one.

Yes, that was another classic. I've listened to 100's of suspense/horror shows and find that the episodes vary greatly on all of them in many ways. Each well-known show has classics and duds. I always regretted never jotting down the best ones. My favorites are the easy to follow stories that really grab you. Unfortunately I find that many have a lot of twisting dialog (often with accents) crammed into a 1/2 hour and they can easily lose my interest.
My favorites are Suspense, The Inner Sanctum, The Whistler, Lights Out, and Escape. Runners-up are The Mysterious Traveler, Murder by Experts, Quite Please, The Hall of Fantasy, and The Molle Mystery Theater. I'll squeeze in X-Minus One too. They're actually not all sci-fi.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 14, 2020 3:14 pm 

Ooh, I'm excited to listen to these. My wife and I love scary stuff, so these would be nice to listen to as we fall asleep at night. Or, wait for a good stormy night. mwah ha ha!

James

PostPosted: Apr Thu 23, 2020 1:09 pm 

DeLoreanDMC81 wrote:
Ooh, I'm excited to listen to these. My wife and I love scary stuff, so these would be nice to listen to as we fall asleep at night. Or, wait for a good stormy night. mwah ha ha!

James

For me you rarely get disappointing with The Whistler, Inner Sanctum, Suspense, Escape, and one of my personal favorites, the Molle Mystery Theater. Those are tops for really gripping twisty stories. Very few duds.
Next I'd say Lights Out, Quite Please, The Mysterious Traveler, Gangbusters, and X-Minus one. Those have some great episodes, but you'll find more duds with those. After that the rest have occasional good episodes, but lots of long-winded predictable ones.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 26, 2021 12:51 am 

does anyone have the full episode of Chicken Heart? The only one that seems to be available is the 7 minute excerpt.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 27, 2021 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

https://youtu.be/esuUHu6nJ1s