Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 26, 2022 3:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Project Audion / Re-created episodes
PostPosted: Nov Sun 13, 2022 8:23 pm 

I don't normally go for the re-creations of OTR. I really enjoy the original episodes but somehow the new ones sound, well, too new to my ears.

I stumbled across Project Audion today and this re-created episode of Suspense caught my eye. Or is it ears. Whichever.

Of the 900 episodes of Suspense aired, only 13 are unaccounted for (I did not know this). One of them is "The Eavesdropper" from the mid-1950s. The idea that this is the only way to hear this episode makes me more willing to overlook the modern re-creation. Like many OTR fans, Suspense is a favorite of mine and I suspect I've come close to listening to nearly all the episodes over the years. It'll be fun to hear a new story.

I gave this a quick listen to see if I thought it would be worth my time and the first few minutes sound legit enough to be interesting to me. So, I thought I'd share it here.

These folks seem to make a pretty serious effort to get the "feel" right - and it's done live - no retakes or pauses.

I'm hoping to listen to the entire episode later tonight or tomorrow.

https://projectaudion.com/suspense-the-eavesdropper/

Post subject: Re: Project Audion / Re-created episodes
PostPosted: Nov Sun 13, 2022 9:50 pm 

OK...a nice effort by these folks. The lead actor / actress did a fine job and had voices similar to those found on a lot of old Suspense shows. The other two actors / announcer did a solid job but have a "new" sound...it's pretty tough to find those resonant, silky-smooth, sharp skilled announcing voices of network men of years gone by.

I enjoyed it overall and while it comes close to sounding like an original Suspense episode, it would never be mistaken for original audio. Anyone else listen?

I'm going to give a Jack Benny show a try now.