Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Fri 20, 2019 6:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Best actor, actress in OTR
PostPosted: Mar Thu 12, 2009 12:08 am 

I was wondering if there were award shows for OTR who your nominees would be. Mine would be William Conrad, best actor and Virginia Gregg, best actress in the drama categories. With Jack Benny and Gracie Allen in the comedy categories. Let us know what your choices are. Rob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 12, 2009 12:12 am 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
For crime drama - Jack Webb (Dragnet)

For comedy - Eve Arden (Our Miss Brooks)

cheers

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 12, 2009 12:18 am 

Vincent Price as the narrator of the Mysterious Traveler, and as the voice of The Saint. He had a GREAT voice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 12, 2009 12:24 am 

Robert...I'll have to give it some thought, but, William Conrad would be tough to beat...for versatility, how about Joseph Kearns? A real workman and the walking definition of a character actor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 12, 2009 12:43 am 

Agnes Moorehead in "Sorry Wrong Number and James Stewert as "The Six Shooter" William Conrad is hard to beat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 12, 2009 3:00 am 

Gale Gordon....... Best streight man to come down the pike ! .... Gregg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 12, 2009 5:00 am 

Actually, Maurice Tarplin was the narrator for Mysterious Traveler.

There are so many great actors and actresses, I would be hard-pressed to single out one. In terms of versatility of voice, Forrest Lewis; he was the man of 1,000 voices, and did a very good parrot in an Escape episode.

There were so many different kinds of dramatic roles; I'd nominate Basil Rathbone as best Sherlock Holmes, best supporting character actors, Howard McNear, Parley Baer, Larry Dobkin, there were a lot of them. Jay Novello was always one of my favorites, and Robert Dryden was excellent for certain kinds of roles. Best supporting actor for Texan roles; Barton Yarborough or Jim Boles.

Oh, wait a second, I have one; Elliot Lewis; he could do drama, comedy (Remley), and he directed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 12, 2009 6:09 pm 

My favorite is probably Dick Powell as Richard Diamond. His cockyness and delivery was just great.

MichaelD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 15, 2009 4:09 am 

I would vote for Don Ameche as John Bickerson as male comedy winner, and Isabel Randolph as Abigail Uppington for female comedy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 31, 2009 3:37 am 

Hands down, Bob Bailey in "Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar" and William Conrad in "Gunsmoke".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 15, 2009 4:17 pm 

Elliot Lewis has to be at or near the top of the list. He wrote, produced or directed and acted in hundreds of shows. William Conrad has to be way up there too. You find him popping up all over the place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 15, 2009 7:42 pm 

badrestorer wrote:
Hands down, Bob Bailey in "Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar" and William Conrad in "Gunsmoke".

+1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 23, 2009 8:46 pm 

cliff_marsland wrote:
<SNIP> . . .best supporting character actors, Howard McNear, Parley Baer, Larry Dobkin, there were a lot of them. Jay Novello was always one of my favorites, and Robert Dryden was excellent for certain kinds of roles. Best supporting actor for Texan roles; Barton Yarborough or Jim Boles.

Oh, wait a second, I have one; Elliot Lewis; he could do drama, comedy (Remley), and he directed.

Cliff, in the 'Best Supporting Actor' category, how could you leave out the tremendously prolific Harry Bartell? Among his many accomplishments, Mr. Bartell was a regular on Gunsmoke & Dragnet, as well as many other long running series.

He also played Dr. Watson in the New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Archie Goodwin on the New Adventures of Nero Wolfe, and appeared in numerous episodes of Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar & Let George Do It.

Best Supporting Actress: Virginia Gregg - hands down!

I frequently joke that during the forties and fifties, there was a law that said you could not air a radio show that didn't feature either Harry Bartell or Virginia Gregg in the cast.

Until his passing iin 2004, Mr. Bartell was also an active participant in the Old Time Radio Digest.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 25, 2009 12:24 pm 

I heartily second Mr. Bartell as best supporting actor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 09, 2010 8:30 pm 

Elliot Lewis is a good choice and, who appeared on more drama's than Virginia Gregg? But that ain't the way I heeeerd it! My choice goes to Bill Thompson who comprised more than 50% of the cast of Fibber McGee & Molly. He was the voice of:

Nick DePopulis
The Old-timer
Wallace Wimple
Horatio K. Boomer

The episode where they are all ride together in a car to the football game is incredible. How he interacts with himself and keeps all the characters correct is amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 15, 2010 9:46 pm 

No list of radio greats could be complete without Jeanette Nolan.
Her acting range was tremendous - just listen to her in episodes of Gunsmoke or Frontier Gentleman.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 24, 2010 4:04 am 

Agnes Moorhead, John Dehner, and Frank Lovejoy out to be given mention for many excellent performances.

If there's a category for storytelling, Nelson Olmstead wins without a second thought. Better, I think, than Vincent Price or Orson Wells because he never over-dramatized, as those two so often did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sun 25, 2010 2:04 am 

Another vote for William Conrad. He was on SO many shows it is incredible, both as bad guys and good guys. The Whistler, I Was A Communist For The FBI, Suspense, The Damon Runyon Theater, Lux Radio Theater, Nightbeat . For “The Wax Works,” a 1956 episode of Suspense, Conrad actually performed all of the roles. Great voice.

Don't forget Shirley Mitchell. She was Alice Darling on Fibber McGee and Molly, and at the same time she was Leila Ransom on The Great Gildersleeve. Quite a range there.

Also Bea Benaderet. She was Millicent Carstairs on Fibber McGee, telephone operator Gertrude Gearshift and many other roles on The Jack Benny Program, school principal Eve Goodwin on the Great Gildersleeve. Not to mention that she was the voice of Betty Rubble on The Flintstones cartoon, and later appeared on The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction.

Post subject: best
PostPosted: May Sun 23, 2010 12:18 am 

dont forget MERCEDES MCCAMBRIDE

walt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sun 06, 2010 4:37 pm 

While I heartedly agree with most of the above choices, I have to not forget that the day time soap stars were often so into their parts that people felt like they were a part of the persons life. The one mans family crew has become a part of me as well as the wonderful Virginia Payne as Ma Perkins. The young wider brown is another that comes to mind with Florence Freemond.
In the comedy line there are a lot of great actors, Eve Arden, Willard Waterman, Jack Benny among a few.

And while they may not be actors as such voices such as Arthur Godfrey surely ruled the air waves for many years and I miss him too.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 43 posts ]  Moderator: Mike Wheat Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next