Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Fri 07, 2020 11:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best actor, actress in OTR
PostPosted: Apr Mon 29, 2019 7:13 pm 

There have been many lists of the great radio voices. Three names are always on that list. Those being Orson Welles, William Conrad and Mel Blanc. George Edwards of Australian Radio fame was also one of the great voices with his title of "The Man with a 1000 voices". He played many roles in the same production and you would never know he was playing so many of the different parts.
Australian radio is not well known in the States, but they were known for many of the great radio shows during the Golden Age of Radio and in many cases because of George Edwards talents. In films, Lon Chaney Sr. in film was known as the "Man with a 1000 faces" as he could create so many different characters with his own talent to do so and having a talented make-up artist :!:
Australian Radio also had their version of LUX Radio Theatre which compared well (if not better in many cases) than their American counterpart. Many of those who developed radio programs in Australia were formerly working for radio in the States and took that talent with them when they migrated to Australia.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 29, 2019 9:41 pm 

Quote:
Lucille Fletcher who also wrote the famous radio dramatization, "The Hitch Hiker" which was performed on "SUSPENSE" in the United States and both starring Orson Welles

The Hitch Hiker was also one of the earliest episodes on TV's Twilight Zone.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 29, 2019 9:56 pm 

When looking at the connections of the early radio writer's it is amazing just how connected they were. Lucille Fletcher who wrote "The Hitch Hiker", "Sorry, Wrong Number" and many others was married to Bernard Herrman who wrote the musical scores for many radio shows and later wrote the musical score for Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" to mention just one.
Rod Serling evidently was very impressed and influenced by the early radio stories and may have written some of them. I have never heard that discussed, but the early writer's on radio were an obvious influence on the later "Twilight Zone" which was a product of Rod Serling's. "The Hitch Hiker" had many story variations but the same title. Many were quite different in storyline, but still used the same title. Lucille Fletcher (pictured below) died in 2000 at the age of 88.
I'll have to watch that episode of "The Hitch Hiker" from the "Twilight Zone" and make the comparisons that may exist.

Attachments:
220px-Lucille-Fletcher-1.jpg
220px-Lucille-Fletcher-1.jpg [ 8.6 KiB | Viewed 3078 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Wed 11, 2019 7:51 pm 

Whitehall 1212 is another great radio show that aired about the same time as the Black Museum. The shows were based on actual crimes from Scotland Yard.

Wylis Cooper (Lights Out) wrote the radio adaptions. I like the Black Museum, but for me Whitehall 1212 is the better of the two similar shows.

It is an excellent show and if you like the Black Museum, you will definitely like Whitehall 1212 (which was the famous telephone number that Scotland Yard used for many, many years before the Internet age.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 14, 2019 10:32 pm 

This is such an easy one for me. Best radio actor was William Conrad, best actress was Agnes Moorehead.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 15, 2019 12:37 am 

No doubt they both made their marks in the history of vintage radio shows, especially Orson Welles. Agnes Moorehead was crowned the First Lady of Suspense. William Conrad and Orson Welles made it successfully in all of the various mediums from radio, stage and television. William Conrad also had a great singing voice. A talent not many knew about.
Don't forget Vincent Price, Peter Lorre. Lionel Barrymore, Ilona Massey, Elliott Lewis, Randolph Scott and Lureen Tuttle to name only a few.

However, there are so many, many very good radio actors that never made it to the big screen but had all the vocal talents many of those Silver Screen super stars wish they also were blessed to have had in their careers. Cary Grant once said radio gave him the chance to really act. There is a great deal of truth in the old phrase "radio faces", and that does spread over to the massive amount of talent so many possessed that were only heard on radio.

I could start a list but it would be too long and extensive for this post.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 15, 2019 1:49 am 

I don't know if anyone mentioned Parley Baer. He had a great speaking style especially in "Backseat Driver" on Suspense. A superior radio play.
I do agree that Vincent Price was a great radio actor too. "Three Skeleton Key" from Escape is probably one of THE greatest radio plays, much thanks to Vincent.
Cary Grant could just read the phonebook and be great, but in "On A Country Road" on Suspense he was superb.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 15, 2019 2:59 am 

That list could go on and on...........Parley Baer, Georgia Ellis, Antony Ellis, Gerald Mohr, Frank Lovejoy, Brian Donlevy, Jay Navello, Boris Karloff well I think you know and get the point. That list could go on and on. I don't want to attempt to list them all, because invariably I would leave someone out. I do think Frank Lovejoy is very good and certainly evidenced by his "Nightbeat" Radio Show. Alan Ladd was also great in "Box Thirteen".

Howard Duff and his former wife Ida Lupino were also very good in the radio shows they performed. Ida Lupino was especially good in her performance with Orson Welles on the Campbell Soup Radio Show in their performance of "Bad Man". You can guess who played the part of the bad man! The interview at the end of the show between Orson Welles and Ida Lupino is very interesting and not short, but actually goes into detail as to the Lupino acting family going back 200 or 300 years to Italy. Orson Welles handles the interview very well and amazingly Ida Lupino was only about 22 years old at the time of the performance in 1940. If you get the chance don't miss that one and especially the discussion between Orson Welles and Ida Lupino at the end of the show. Sadly, Ida Lupino did not perform on many radio shows to my knowledge as she was so popular on the Silver Screen.

It just goes on and on and thankfully so as we today are still the recipients of those great radio voices and the great writer's radio had at the time for the many radio adaptions which no longer exist. :cry:

PostPosted: Dec Sun 15, 2019 4:36 am 

ZenithStratosphere wrote:
That list could go on and on...........Parley Baer, Georgia Ellis, Antony Ellis, Gerald Mohr, Frank Lovejoy, Brian Donlevy, Jay Navello, Boris Karloff well I think you know and get the point. That list could go on and on. I don't want to attempt to list them all, because invariably I would leave someone out. I do think Frank Lovejoy is very good and certainly evidenced by his "Nightbeat" Radio Show. Alan Ladd was also great in "Box Thirteen".

Howard Duff and his former wife Ida Lupino were also very good in the radio shows they performed. Ida Lupino was especially good in her performance with Orson Welles on the Campbell Soup Radio Show in their performance of "Bad Man". You can guess who played the part of the bad man! The interview at the end of the show between Orson Welles and Ida Lupino is very interesting and not short, but actually goes into detail as to the Lupino acting family going back 200 or 300 years to Italy. Orson Welles handles the interview very well and amazingly Ida Lupino was only about 22 years old at the time of the performance in 1940. If you get the chance don't miss that one and especially the discussion between Orson Welles and Ida Lupino at the end of the show. Sadly, Ida Lupino did not perform on many radio shows to my knowledge as she was so popular on the Silver Screen.

It just goes on and on and thankfully so as we today are still the recipients of those great radio voices and the great writer's radio had at the time for the many radio adaptions which no longer exist. :cry:

At least people like us keep it alive. I listen to classic radio shows almost every evening. I love all the suspenseful programs. I think that's where the art of the radio show really shines. You can see what's going on in your mind just as clear as watching it, and it's the way YOU think it should be. It is great that we can hear such a large library of these great shows, often with very good sound quality. I think they'll always be at least a small group of people that will go back to these great old shows.
Frank Lovejoy was indeed great. Unfortunately you probably wrote actors I really like, but have forgotten the names of. I may also add Richard Widmark and Edmund O'Brian. What about Howard McNear? He could be great in a suspenseful story.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 15, 2019 9:01 am 

Yes, to me the name of Howard McNear is almost a given. Richard Widmark gave some very suspenseful performances.

I listened to Family Theater tonight which was initially begun by Father Patrick Peyton.

The slogan for the program as started by Father Peyton was "The Family That Prays Together, Stays Together.
The inspirational episode I heard tonight on nationally syndicated Hollywood 360 was "A Christmas Lullaby" narrated by Roddy McDowell and hosted by Ruth Hussey. All or most of the episodes from now until Christmas on Hollywood 360 deal with the many Christmas shows that most of the popular radio shows aired around the Christmas season during those years. Even Gunsmoke had their Christmas episode which was aired last Saturday night.

"Family Theater" ran weekly for most of the 1950's. Each show starred major Hollywood actors who donated their time, effort and talent to the many inspirational episodes produced during those years. And they were the major Stars from Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Loretta Young to just about all of them.

"Family Theater" was very popular during those years, and sadly nothing we have today can compare with it. All the actors gave freely of their time and charged nothing for their work on the show.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 16, 2019 12:33 am 

Maybe I'm a little of topic with this.... Back in the 30's to 40's did they have an equivalent of television's Emmy awards for Radio performances or radio series?

PostPosted: Dec Mon 16, 2019 1:14 am 

RADIO GUIDE and possibly some other publications were popular for radio programming. They were the forerunners of the TV Guide.
I know from some older copies I have that Awards were given out. When such Awards began, I am not sure. That would be a good subject to look into.

I know from Radio Guide that in or around 1951 Tallulah Bankhead received an Award by the Radio Association of America for radio's Woman of the Year in honor of the success her "The Big Show" had with the public and the reviews by the critics. I feel sure there were other Awards, but I don't know what they were or the names given to other such Awards.

"The Big Show" was undoubtedly the best variety show ever on radio. It certainly cost enough at over $200,000.00 per show. It was probably the most expensive show ever to air on radio. "The Big Show" was also probably the longest show (time-wise) ever on radio at a full 90 minutes on NBC every Sunday night from 1950 until 1952. It had a run of about 57 shows during that time period. All of the shows were broadcast from New York, however there were three exceptions, one from London, one from Paris and one from Hollywood when the entire radio production staff (including Meredith Willson and his Orchestra) were flown to these distant location for the broadcast.

So I know the Radio Association of America did give out Awards, but just not sure when they started and how many Awards there were, but I do know Tallulah Bankhead did win this Award for her work on radio's most expensive show ever to air, "The Big Show" and indeed it lived up to the title of the show having probably every known entertainer from the 1950 time period on "The Big Show" during those 90 minute episodes for almost a 3 year run.

"The Big Show" even had well known European stars such as Maurice Chevelier, Edith Piaf and others on as well as the American entertainers from Groucho Marx, Fred Allen, Jimmy Durante, Ethel Merman to Ginger Rogers, Bob Hope and many others.
Most radio shows were in a 30 minute time slot. Few ran even a full hour, but "The Big Show" ran a full 90 minutes.

Not bad for as they would say when introducing Miss Bankhead at the beginning of each show "the glamourous, unpredictable Tallulah Bankhead"!

PostPosted: Dec Mon 16, 2019 7:30 am 

Thanks ZS (I actually own 2 old Zeniths, sadly not Stratos one tube and one transistor transocianic.

So, searching on Radio Guide I find they are mostly all online, happily links for them on one page. I know I used to have an addon that downloads all links on a page with one click, for either Firefox or Chrome, I forget which. Will have to get that addon back to use it!

So I will download all available (a few are not, most are, years and years). That should yield lots of award sections!

Thanks, again.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Ra ... r_Page.htm

And its always wonderful to read all that's in your detailed messages.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 16, 2019 10:05 am 

In case anyone was interested in downloading tons of files from a webpage, I have went back to see how it is done.
Firefox: I see no addon that works.
Chrome: only found one: Download Master, it is very fast but does not work correctly and will only download a few files. I verified by reading reviews, other users all have the same problem.
Internet Explorer 11: IDA works great but is very very very slow would take hours to get all the Radio Guides from that page.
............................... DAP (Download Accelerator Plus): Wonderful ! lightning fast and a joy to use.

SPEEDBIT DAP (freeware)
https://download.cnet.com/Download-Acce ... 37157.html

A few tips:
1) With DAP installed I.E. download settings are ignored. All download settings are now set in DAP itself.

2) You must click on FILTER in the DAP window to keep all the nonsense files from downloading and to only DL the file types you want. In the above website that would be PDF files. (All the magazines are stored as PDF files on that particular website).

3) Open DAP first (from the windows Start button Programs list) and wade thru the DAP menu to TOOLS/OPTIONS/ADVANCED and turn ON DAP for I.E. and OFF for Chrome (DAP won't work with Firefox).
Now Chrome and Firefox will work without DAP, but I.E. will ALWAYS use DAP for all downloads, until you change the settings in DAP.

4) Set the DAP download folder, such as make a folder named RadioGuide on your desktop. DAP menu: TOOLS/OPTIONS/GENERAL/Default Download Folder.

DAP takes about 3 seconds for each file! IDA takes minutes for each file :( DAP was lightning quick to grab all the RADIO GUIDE issues to my laptop :)

PostPosted: Dec Sat 28, 2019 12:17 am 

Bogart and Bacall in "Bold Venture."

Terry

PostPosted: Dec Sat 28, 2019 1:32 am 

"Whitehall 1212" compares favorably (if not much better with attention to detail and script) with Orson Welles "Black Museum". Whitehall 1212 was the telephone number used for many years in England and was well known to all British citizen's. Both the "Black Museum" and "Whitehall 1212" were produced in England in the early 1950's and both programs were very popular both in England and the United States. It was broadcast on NBC in the States and of course the BBC in England.

The "Whitehall 1212" stories are exceptional radio adaptions (as are the British Actors) of actual murders from the "Black Museum" located at Scotland Yard in London. An all British cast of very well trained British Actors were used in each episode. It is really not Black or a Museum, but rather a repository of items of evidence kept from cases both solved and unsolved by Scotland Yard going back prior to 1900 used primarily in the study and understanding of crime by the Staff of Scotland Yard.

All of the stories are based on fact but the actual names have been changed and were written and directed for radio by the noted Wyllis Cooper of the popular "Lights Out" radio show fame.
All of the stories come from the actual case files of Scotland Yard.

If you enjoy a good mystery story (generally if not always murder), the true stories from "Whitehall 1212" will not fail to disappoint you and in many ways far surpass its' competitor radio show the "Black Museum".

To my knowledge only 2 8 hour Volume sets have been sold to the public through Radio Spirits, but these have been out of print for years.

As a warning for those against capital punishment (or maybe an insight), this radio program was produced in a period of time when Capital Punishment was regularly used as punishment for serious crimes primarily always the clearly planned murder of another individual or individuals. In England as in certain parts of the United States, hanging was the mode of execution used when an individual was convicted of a crime (generally if not always murder), and the executioner and the Judgment of the Court is clearly made clear at the end of each case oftentimes with a footnote as to the role, comments and actions of the executioner.

Attachments:
whitehall1212-poster.jpg
whitehall1212-poster.jpg [ 488.16 KiB | Viewed 2568 times ]
21495_165x235.jpg
21495_165x235.jpg [ 29.63 KiB | Viewed 2568 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sat 28, 2019 6:33 am 

specops56 wrote:
Bogart and Bacall in "Bold Venture."

Terry

And Bogart and Bacall for best Hollywood team would not be ridiculous either. Bold Venture series made the cut on my iPOd lineup!
(So did Whitehall 1212)

PostPosted: Jan Mon 27, 2020 7:53 pm 

I read maybe too quickly through these posts - Did anyone mention John Dehner? One of my favorites!!

Best,
Bill K.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 04, 2020 8:33 pm 

I'd like to put in a word for Larry Haines. I always enjoyed his work on Inner Sanctum. He starred in one of the first OTR tapes I ever bought: "Only the Dead Die Twice" (Inner Sanctum)
I've been listening to that episode now and then ever since and I still get a thrill of of his reading of the line:
"Oh yeah, the thousand. This is where I came in."

Jim

PostPosted: Feb Wed 05, 2020 11:56 pm 

Quote:
I read maybe too quickly through these posts - Did anyone mention John Dehner? One of my favorites!!

John Dehner can be heard in the "Gunsmoke" (put out by Radio Archives) Documentary also making some very interesting comments about the Golden Age of Radio.

Radio Archives sells what they call Radio Archive Treasures in large Volumes containing 20 CD's each with a variety of rarely heard radio programs.

In their Archive Treasures Volume II set, they have a 5 hour Documentary consisting of 5 CD's on the History of "Gunsmoke". William Conrad and practically every person associated with the original "Gunsmoke" radio program is interviewed in this series. Howard McNear had already passed on when the Documentary was made in the early 1970's, but a great deal is heard about him from William Conrad and Parley Baer on this Documentary. Not only is "Gunsmoke" discussed, but what vintage radio was like in the late 1940's and early 1950's prior to the takeover by television is discussed at length by many in this Documentary.

John Dehner makes some of the most poignant and significant statements in regards to the last years of vintage radio shows of just about anyone of those radio actors interviewed in this very interesting Documentary.
Not only is this a comprehensive history of the original "Gunsmoke" Program, it is a Documentary with some very interesting insights that I had never heard made before and many of those were by John Dehner.

If you are interested in the history of the original "Gunsmoke" radio show and also the Golden Age of Radio with comments by John Dehner, I highly recommend getting this Volume ii in the Archives Treasures series from the Radio Archives folks out of Spokane, Washington.

By the way, Radio Archives does some of the best restoration work of the old radio shows of just about any seller in which I have been associated with over the years. Hearing the radio shows in which they have restored is like hearing that particular radio show for the first time or even since the first broadcast of a vintage radio show, if not better

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 61 posts ]  Moderator: Mike Wheat Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next