Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 15, 2020 12:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dr Danfield and the Case of the Incredibly Bad Transfers
PostPosted: Feb Sun 26, 2012 9:09 pm 

What infuriates me more than anything else is bad transfers. I like Danger Dr Danfield, and contrary to crass opinion (parroted on various websites), I actually think it's very good. But most of the free Danfield MP3s (archive.org and other sites using the same files) are blighted by a sudden burst of noise every 30sec or so, which shakes you out of your skin, making it impossible to listen with headphones. This has nothing to do with the quality of the original recordings and everything to do with the stupidly of amateurs - I've heard the same on other OTR files, and it really isn't good enough.

Does anyone know where I can obtain quality Danfields?

Post subject: Re: Dr Danfield and the Case of the Incredibly Bad Transfers
PostPosted: Feb Mon 27, 2012 11:40 pm 

No, but I have used the free program Audacity to edit out loud spikes in other OTR MP3's.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 28, 2012 4:20 am 

Audacity is a great little audio editor - I use it occasionally, as I make music. But these spikes are so frequent and in most of the episodes that to edit them out manually would need supreme patience which I haven’t got.

Today, I found http://www.dadsotr.com has a higher quality complete episodes set on CD. I’ve sent an email asking for more info.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 28, 2012 3:03 pm 

Have you sampled the sound quality of the shows offered here?: http://www.archive.org/details/OTRR_Dan ... ld_Singles
They are from a set issued by The Old Time Radio Researcher's group. They are usually picky about the sound quality of the shows they put in their sets.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 28, 2012 7:09 pm 

OTRR are the very outfit that put out these inferior files – I’m now wary of OTRR (Planet Man has quite a few episodes with the same problem, though to a lesser extent. Other OTRR uploads like Escape and Dimension X are ok). Most of the stuff on archive.org is good - I’ve got about 2GB of shows/episodes on my Tablet waiting to be heard. Part of the charm of vintage radio is the crackly mono, but there’s no charm in low bit-rates and bad encoding.

I find myself championing Danger Dr Danfield because it’s fast becoming one of my fav shows - and because OTRR trashed it in its description. If I don’t receive a reply to my dadsotr.com email in which I asked for a comparison between the quality on their own files and those on archive.org then I’ll know that they’re simply putting these free MP3s onto CD – a cynical money-grabbing ploy that’s all too frequent.