Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Sun 23, 2020 4:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Finding Radio Broadcasts from the 1920s
PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 11:39 pm 

Despite radios popularity in the 1920s, I find it nearly impossible to find any broadcasts from the era. I collect mostly 20s radios and I really enjoy Radio Dismuke, however it’s really fun to transmit historical broadcasts to my older radios. Does anyone know where I can find earlier broadcasts from the roaring 20s?

Post subject: Re: Finding Radio Broadcasts from the 1920s
PostPosted: Sep Thu 19, 2019 2:39 am 

Google 1920 radio broadcasts and click on videos. There are loads of them you can use the sound from. Even the first KDKA broadcast.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 19, 2019 3:13 am 

Tpapp54321 wrote:
Despite radios popularity in the 1920s, I find it nearly impossible to find any broadcasts from the era. I collect mostly 20s radios and I really enjoy Radio Dismuke, however it’s really fun to transmit historical broadcasts to my older radios. Does anyone know where I can find earlier broadcasts from the roaring 20s?

There are only a very few actual broadcast recordings from the 1920s. Syndicated programs on records did not start until 1929. http://www.old-time.com/mcleod/mcleod5.html
There is a 1928 program recorded on a 30 rpm disc .. https://www.nps.gov/edis/learn/photosmu ... 191-10.mp3
National Defense Day broadcast 1924! - https://archive.org/details/Singles_And ... ingles_L-N
Maytag Frolics with Coon-Sanders Orch. 1928/29 (at same link)
There is supposed to be an Eveready Hour broadcast circa 1928 but I can't find it at the moment.
There are the 1927 Lindbergh return broadcasts that were released as a record album.
There are Sam & Henry (a.k.a. Amos & Andy) from 1927/29 (because some were released on 78 rpm singles.
From 1925 - announcers attending a convention give their station closing announcements... https://www.podbean.com/site/EpisodeDow ... FA24BITEWF

That's a start...
Robert

PostPosted: Sep Thu 19, 2019 3:19 am 

arzoo623 wrote:
Google 1920 radio broadcasts and click on videos. There are loads of them you can use the sound from. Even the first KDKA broadcast.

Just FYI the KDKA clip is a re-enactment done on the NBC 15th Anniversary program in 1940... They did not record the November 1920 broadcast... They did have a phonograph that they played from time to time experimentally.

Robert

PostPosted: Sep Thu 19, 2019 4:06 pm 

The KDKA election results were not viewed to be "historic" at the time...Just Frank Conrad broadcasting to other enthusiasts. Like anything that happens, unless it's a Pearl Harbor-type of event, knowing it's historic when you do it is tough to do. Or very presumptuous and probably wrong...Even then, as others have pointed out, recording equipment was scarce and complex. The re-creation, iirc, used the original folks.

When they tore down the Westinghouse plant where that broadcast took place in April 2007, I lucked out and got four of the bricks from the building. They had fallen outside of the fenced area after the wrecking ball did it's thing. I should do something important with them...

PostPosted: Sep Thu 19, 2019 9:51 pm 

FWIK,

All recording was acoustical up to about the Summer of 1925. Magnetic cutting heads were introduced and it became possible to create large discs to preserve a performance to play back at another time. This did not happen overnight but over some time...
There could have been more sophisticated or well financed stations that had other possible electrical recording machinery.

Acoustical recording meant a room in which a large wall was dedicated to a horn tapered down to a mechanical recording head. If there were any radio stations having that mechanical apparatus I would be surprised.

Pre-1925 radio stations that did play live music had their own studios on site or wired by dedicated telephone connection

If your consideration was for the Radiola 25 console you have, remember it may have had a life up to the early 30's. So later music and other performances would be appropriate.

Chas