Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 18, 2019 11:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Interesting programme on BBC Radio 2
PostPosted: Nov Thu 15, 2018 3:57 pm 

A few years ago BBC Radio 2 in the U.K had a series of interesting shows about musical tastes from various artistes during the years. One guest was a musician bass player, Suzie Quatro, and she had an interest in instrumental music (which I also have). She was accompanied (not musically)in the programme by a member of the U.K instrumental band The Shadows. She chose many great tunes including
"Theme from a Summer Place" by Percy Faith Orchestra (1960). This was from a film from the previous year, which was an American film I believe? It really is a timeless tune
"Route 66 Theme" by Nelson Riddle Orchestra (1962). I remember independent television in this country showing the programme and the distinctive theme tune. It was said somewhere that the band leader's son mentioned that this tune was his father's favourite tune.
"Telstar" by The Tornados (1962). This really was the first U.k group to reach No.1 in the U.S charts, and used an early tube synthesizer Clavioline as its main instrument. The group never got to physically tour the U.S due to management disputes. The advent of the Beatles seemed to get in the way of further development in the British instrumental scene.
There were many other talented instrumental groups that never achieved chart success.
In all, it was a really interesting programme! Thought that this may be of interest?

Post subject: Re: Interesting programme on BBC Radio 2
PostPosted: Nov Thu 15, 2018 8:09 pm 

Must have been Desert Island Discs....

PostPosted: Nov Mon 19, 2018 2:35 pm 

Hi Batterymaker.
Good to hear from you. No, it wasn't "Desert Island Discs". I have not listened to that for many years. This was one of many one off special programmes (one each week). Can not be certain about the Route 66 tune (although it has been on previous specials).
It is absolutely amazing how many of these wonderful instrumentals just never achieved their goals. It would be great to have a programme to illustrate to people what they actually missed out on. It is only later in life that I discovered the other great tunes that the Tornados (U.K) recorded before & after "Telstar", like "Love and Fury" (the first single) that failed to chart because of the tight grip the record companies had over promotion. Another great one that did succeed in the U.S was "Ridin' the Wind" (written by rhythm guitarist George Bellamy - father of Matt from the group Muse). This was added to by excellent storm sfx. Telstar hit the big time because of the space satellite, and this is all the group were remembered for. There were also problems with someone claiming plagiarism because it sounded like an obscure tune that they had composed. In the end the composer of Telstar won.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 26, 2018 5:50 pm 

Hi.
Just thought that I might add some more rarities to the list. After all, how would people get to hear these items if they were not played on the radio. Hope you do not mind - moderator? All these tunes are now as vintage as the old radio shows and as vintage as some of the radios.
I tried to contact Suzi Quatro after the radio broadcast to congratulate her on her choice of music, but no reply (disappointing)
The Gemini - Spacewalk (1965). Not the Tornados U.K as some thought. This is as rare as proverbial "rooster teeth" to obtain. Good use of a clavioline and harp plus guitar and drums.
The Thunderbolts - Lost Planet (1962) Good Joe Meek production on release to the U.S only.
The Outlaws - Valley of the Sioux (1961). A brilliant guitar instrumental produced by Meek.
The Outlaws - Sioux Serenade (1962). same as above.
The Original Checkmates - Union Pacific (1963). A good feature about an American railroad steam train. Highly effective indeed (produced by Meek)
The Packabeats - The Traitors theme. Music from a 1962 "B" movie, the record produced by Meek. Excellent guitar.
Tony Meehan Combo - Song of Mexico (1964) One former member of the group The Shadows (drums). He and Jet Harris (bass) had solos with "Diamonds" and "Scarlet O'Hara" in 1963.
Cheers

PostPosted: Nov Tue 27, 2018 4:24 pm 

Hi.
I forgot some other rare gems
The Tornados (U.K) - All the Stars in the Sky (1963) from the film soundtrack Just for Fun. What a brilliant track with sound effects. Should have been a single along with the previously unreleased Lullaby of the Stars. Meek production.
The Moontrekkers - Night of the Vampire (1961). Originally banned by the BBC because of its so-called horrifying sound effects, but later accepted. The record company pressing plant was overwhelmed by the demand, and the record flopped at No.50. A Meek production