Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Fri 23, 2019 2:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Best internet/wifi radio for streaming OTR shows?
PostPosted: Apr Wed 17, 2019 9:53 pm 

Good day! I love listening to several tube radios I own, but unfortunately I can't listen to old time radio shows with them unless I "adapt" one for an mp3 player. Because of this, I'm seeking suggestions for purchasing an internet/wifi radio that would be used solely for listening to streaming OTR. I'm wondering if there is a particular model or brand with the reputation for providing access to a greater number of streaming OTR stations right at purchase? Or a brand/model that forum members have enjoyed using? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Best internet/wifi radio for streaming OTR shows?
PostPosted: Apr Thu 18, 2019 4:17 am 

This has somewhat already been covered, though I'm not sure anyone totaled up the availabe OTR sources. It may not be possible to do that and they do change all the time. The Grace internet radio does have their selections arranged by categories, but I don't know if OTR is one of the criteria. It has ten presets you can program for your favorites.

Here are two pages where we discussed internet radios last year...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=337153

Here is one thread from 2016...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=292994

PostPosted: Apr Thu 18, 2019 1:06 pm 

Thank for the information about the Grace radio. I'm a newbie to the forums and so I'm also a newbie to searching out topics. I really appreciate your sharing of the previous thread on the topic.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 18, 2019 6:55 pm 

You're welcome. For what it's worth, my mom's Grace Internet radio has been in use since July, 2013 and its only problem has been an occasional error in the wireless card that had to be fixed by unplugging and plugging the power back, to reset it. Off and on made no difference. It seems to be doing it more and more and with no changes made to the wireless in about three years, and the wireless to her laptop works OK.

Mom is now 89 and has some hearing loss in the upper frequencies and she says the sound of the internet radio is also a little muddy and she can understand my dad's GE SuperRadio better, since it has better speakers, but not anywhere near the selection. She doesn't listen to OTR, just music and NPR. I remember several OTR sites from when I setup the radio, and there's also the OTR channel from Sirius, but that costs something. I did a search for OTR on their website channel search and it came up with about 7 or 8 sites with that in the name (and a lot of stuff that wasn't OTR). There are also many stations around the country that have OTR programming during the day that have streaming and you can seek those out.

Here's a thread about where some of the ARF crowd listen to OTR and the stations likely have streaming you can access on an internet radio.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=349673

PostPosted: Apr Thu 18, 2019 7:43 pm 

This is super helpful information! Again, you have my thanks.