Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 21, 2021 12:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Is it possible to listen to old radio broadcasts?
PostPosted: Jul Tue 07, 2020 7:50 am 

I was thinking the other night - if I wanted to put myself in, say, 1987, is there a way I could regularly listen to radio broadcasts as if I were going through time then?

For example, tomorrow I'd turn on the radio broadcast and hear the music, reports, etc. that happened January 16th 1987? Then the 17th the next day, etc. Or are all of these lost to time?usps tracking showbox speed test

Last edited by relindwto6 on Jul Wed 08, 2020 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Is it possible to listen to old radio broadcasts?
PostPosted: Jul Tue 07, 2020 9:00 am 

Sure...

Purchase a DMC DeLorean and I'll shoot you Doc Brown's e-mail address.
8) Greg.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 07, 2020 9:04 am 

Internal website search...

radio programs site:archive.org
https://www.google.com/search?q=radio+p ... 8&oe=utf-8

Greg.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 07, 2020 11:13 am 

If time travel were possible, then there would be an interesting--and maybe bizarre--set of things that would also be possible. For me, a favorite theme is what happens when the time traveller tries to go back in time and change something

It may be easier to accept the basic laws of physics and listen to some recordings......

PostPosted: Jul Tue 07, 2020 4:23 pm 

Though this is not the same as what you are asking, it is an amusing event, at least to me. A while back, while walking through the flea market, I stopped to chat with a lady who had a Philco beehive radio offered in her space. As we finished our conversation and I was preparing to move on, a young man called to her "Does this radio still get the old stations". His serious demeanor indicated that he may be asking if the same stations were still operating, the ones that were at the time the radio was new. As their conversation went on, it hit me that he actually thought that the programs that had been broadcast in 1936, were still somehow receivable!

Last edited by startgroove on Jul Tue 07, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 07, 2020 5:29 pm 

I remember years ago reading ( pre-cable tv) speculation of parts of older broadcasts ,not a whole show but just a snap being picked up well after being broadcast. I seem to recall old tv test patterns in particular.
Henry

PostPosted: Jul Tue 07, 2020 11:17 pm 

There are mini broadcasters available that can take a number of audio sources like CDs, cassettes, records, etc., and play them through your radio. Check ebay for copies of old radio shows from the 30s and 40s. Not sure if there any available for broadcasts from the 80s
, though.

Dennis

PostPosted: Jul Wed 08, 2020 2:12 am 

Someone may have recorded a show back then and is offering it on the web. Or, there may be recreations. I have a CD with 2 '50s vintage top 40 type shows complete with commercials. I suspect it is a recreation but it sounds good.

Who's that swimming in the punch bowl?
It's Walter Wart, the freaky frog!

PostPosted: Jul Wed 08, 2020 9:00 am 

Time machine NOT required.

Just go out into space beyond where the radio wave has reached and listen.

Of course to get there you may have to travel FTL!

PostPosted: Jul Wed 08, 2020 1:33 pm 

There was a set of cassette tapes available years ago that was a whole day of broadcasting from a station in D.C. in 1939 from sign-on to sign-off. I actually found the set cheap at a garage sale. Instead of simply hearing a particular show or song, you hear commercials, station ID's, and all sorts of little snippets like you're back in 1939.
With a simple little AM transmitter or direct input, whatever media you can locate is what you can listen to.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 08, 2020 2:12 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
decojoe67 wrote:
There was a set of cassette tapes available years ago that was a whole day of broadcasting from a station in D.C. in 1939 from sign-on to sign-off. I actually found the set cheap at a garage sale. Instead of simply hearing a particular show or song, you hear commercials, station ID's, and all sorts of little snippets like you're back in 1939.
With a simple little AM transmitter or direct input, whatever media you can locate is what you can listen to.

I remember hearing (many years ago) about something like this being available .... maybe at the Library of Congress or Smithsonian?? I know nothing about radio stations and how they operate, but it seemed to me that the premise was that radio stations recorded their full daily activity years ago and some of these recordings had been saved ....

That's all I got.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 08, 2020 2:59 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
decojoe67 wrote:

I remember hearing (many years ago) about something like this being available .... maybe at the Library of Congress or Smithsonian?? I know nothing about radio stations and how they operate, but it seemed to me that the premise was that radio stations recorded their full daily activity years ago and some of these recordings had been saved ....

That's all I got.

If you do a Google search you can come up with some good archival material. I don't know of any other sign-on to sign off recordings though. Be aware that not all old radio recordings are crisp and clear.
You can actually find that 1939 box set online.
https://www.radiosurvivor.com/2017/06/2 ... y-in-1939/
This is a good site to discover interesting material:
https://archive.org/details/audio

PostPosted: Jul Wed 08, 2020 9:43 pm 

pete724 wrote:
Time machine NOT required.

Just go out into space beyond where the radio wave has reached and listen.

Of course to get there you may have to travel FTL!

To get there in time to hear broadcasts from, say, the 1920s you definitely have to travel faster than light. If you do not you will never hear any broadcasts older than the time you took off from the Earth! The farther you get from Earth the more sensitive your RX needs to be to listen to them. You need to be 100 light years from Earth to hear the initial broadcast of the 1920 presidential election for example. So best plan to take off soon and have a liquid helium cooled front end on your radio!!

It would be great if antique radios could tune in programs from their time period. The story of the young man who thought that was possible reminds me of something else that happened years ago. I was working in the Motorola Automotive groups radio business at the time and we were at the CES in Chicago showing our wares. A man came up to the booth and generally made a nuisance of himself. At one point he pointed to a radio and asked "what does THAT button do?" The frustrated salesman replied "that is the tune for country stations button." Everyone within earshot crowded around the radio at that point and the salesman thought better of what he had said!

Of course these days tuning for country is possible, but tuning in baseball games from the 1920's is not....

PostPosted: Jul Wed 08, 2020 10:57 pm 

Our local 103.7 FM iHeart radio station plays Casey Kasem's "American Top 40" broadcast from the 80's on Sunday nights. It's fun to listen to his voice and hear him introduce the singers and songs from that time period.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 09, 2020 1:00 am 

John Bartley wrote:
decojoe67 wrote:

That's all I got.

Recording a whole day's programming would have required quite a stack of 78 RPM records (even the 16" transcriptions). There was no tape in 1939.

Who's that swimming in the punch bowl?
It's Walter Wart, the freaky frog!