Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sat 26, 2020 3:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pretty cool the vintage radios we listen to
PostPosted: Dec Fri 21, 2018 6:21 am 

I was born in 67 so radio shows were before my time but I find it ironic that the radios we restore and the old radio shows we listen today would be the same radio and radio show that someone listen to some 70 years ago, that is pretty cool 8) 8) 8)

Post subject: Re: Pretty cool the vintage radios we listen to
PostPosted: Dec Sat 22, 2018 7:24 pm 

You are right. I was born in 1945 so as a kid I got to listen to some OTR live. Mostly Jack Benny and Gang Busters, that I can remember. Today I have vintage radios from the 40's that can play my recordings of those vintage shows. The sound of those shows coming through a Zenith console are just great, brings back the whole experience from the days of being a kid. None of the younger generation understand the kick I get out of it, their loss.

Regards,
Don

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 1:46 am 

Old Tube wrote:
You are right. I was born in 1945 so as a kid I got to listen to some OTR live. Mostly Jack Benny and Gang Busters, that I can remember. Today I have vintage radios from the 40's that can play my recordings of those vintage shows. The sound of those shows coming through a Zenith console are just great, brings back the whole experience from the days of being a kid. None of the younger generation understand the kick I get out of it, their loss.

Regards,
Don

Yep their loss for sure.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 09, 2019 9:43 pm 

:D :D I was born in 44 and swear that I could see those old shows on the radio.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 9:31 pm 

I was born in '56 the pickin's were slim on any live OTR but there was some broadcast on AFRTS when I was stationed at Wiesbaden Air Base in the mid '70s. Between that and the offerings from some local stations of recorded OTR, each served to pique my interest in it. Thank goodness for Mp3 CD's and DVD's. This would be expensive hobby trying to get the broadcast recordings piecemeal.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 09, 2019 2:39 am 

I was born in '67 too, but my parents were from the radio show era and spoke about it often. It made me nostalgic for that time. When I listen to those great shows on my old radios it almost feels like I lived in that time. I love the whole idea of audio-only and letting your mind paint the picture. It was an art that involved huge talent and millions and millions of dollars. I feel I'm one who respects it all and wants to keep it alive.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 09, 2019 3:23 am 

lots of 1944 ers here and I will join the group. I used to love Saturday morning with Hop Along Cassidy, Only the Shadow knows, the Lone Ranger, and the multitude of kids shows on the air then. Now days kids shows are crap and try to teach social justice items instead of entertaining. Bring back Elmer Fudd and his funny acts. I have tried to remember the consul radio I used to listen to as a child but I can not remember it. I was thinking of purchasing one but I am now low on space to fit it in. To many old radios to listen to . Tom

PostPosted: Aug Mon 03, 2020 6:36 am 

I was born in '66, too late for OTR programs but I sure remember the antique radios my grandparents had. When a set died, it went on a shelf in their garages. Made sense, as they lived through the Great Depression.

I remember the white plastic GE radio they listened to Paul Harvey on during lunchtime, and couldn't help thinking it didn't look nearly as good as the ones on the shelf in Grandad's shop. (DIDN'T DARE say it out loud though!)

Years later, I inherited them. One is a Silvertone 6050 that I re-capped and replaced a bad 14R7 tube, and it became the one I usually listen to.

My wife's aunt was an OTR fan, that's how I got started. So much of what is on the TV is unwatchable (to me) and OTR has been a huge breath of fresh air!

Maybe we should somehow advertise the hobby.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 03, 2020 7:27 am 

Another antique here, born when WWII was raging, and FDR was in his 4th term.

I recall sitting on the floor in front of our family entertainment center (a console AM radio) and listening to the likes of Peter Potter's Hit Parade, Gunsmoke, Inner Sanctum, and I can't remember the others, in the evening.

During the early afternoon, my mom would listen to Queen For A Day & Guiding Light, among other housewife type programming.

There was talk of television, where you could actually see what was going on, and I remember wondering how that would be as I sat listening to the radio.