Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 08, 2021 8:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RadioClassics on SiriusXM
PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 8:46 pm 

The RadioClassics channel on SiriusXM (Ch. 148) is probably my favorite station in their entire lineup, but I do wish they would run more pre-World War II stuff. It seems that the vast majority of what they play are shows from the late 1940's to mid-1950's, with only occasionally a Jack Benny or George Burns from the mid-to-late 1930's; never any of the great dramas from before the war. Anyone have any idea why this is the case?

Post subject: Re: RadioClassics on SiriusXM
PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 12:36 am 

You can try asking Greg Bell at Greg@GregBellMedia.com. I've heard he does answer questions related to the show.

I've noticed the 1940s-50s shows are more numerous on there too. It could be because they have better sound quality than shows done in the 1930s and maybe there are more from that era that survived in decent condition? I really don't know why. Below is a screen shot of what was playing when I wrote this and yes it's all from the late 1940s or 50s. I find I listen more at home to the Sirius OTR channel with my laptop and I listen to shorter things in the car. I do like how you can pick which show to listen to and you can also skip over anything you don't want to hear.

Attachment:
sirius2.jpg
sirius2.jpg [ 141.76 KiB | Viewed 233 times ]

It's all personal preference, but I think the Jack Benny shows from about 1946-1955 are the best ones they did. Some of the Jello shows are kind of silly and didn't have the character humor they later developed. The Suspense shows from 1942 when it started to about 1951 are better than the later ones up to 1962.

The Lux Radio Theatre shows from the 1930s are pretty good and you don't hear them often on Sirius. I would like to hear more Lum and Abner shows. Some of the others I can't abide. I tried listening to Vic and Sade the other day and it just wasn't funny. Again, personal preference. Everyone is different. They never play Big Band remotes and those would be nice to hear.

And speaking of sound quality, it's amazing how good the equipment was in those radio studios. Those RCA ribbon mikes had tremendous sound quality, but the transcription machines just couldn't reproduce the sound well. It does take the right equipment to play and re-record those disks and often they are not in very good shape after 80 years.