Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 19, 2021 7:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ***NEW SCAM ALERT***
PostPosted: May Tue 04, 2021 1:35 am 
Site Admin

A new user has been sending messages that they have the part you are looking for and to send them money via PayPal Friends and Family.

Don't do it.

Never send money using Friends and Family if the person is unknown to you. You will not be able to recover the funds.

A new twist here is after you send the money they tell you it was the wrong account and you were refunded and that have you send payment again to a different account.

User is Tom55
Email used is Tomcarrison@gmail.com

Post subject: Re: ***NEW SCAM ALERT***
PostPosted: May Tue 04, 2021 3:39 am 

I encountered this one. Google searched the pictures "Tom" sent and they were for a set of Atwater Kent transformers being sold by an established Ebay merchant. As soon as I said I would just make on offer on the Ebay listing I got this barely literate response and then nothing again. Glad you caught this, and sorry I didn't say something previously.

PostPosted: May Tue 04, 2021 4:53 am 

A lot of times it is a generic reply, such as, "I have what you need at a good price". That way they can just cut and paste to multiple victims at the same time.

PostPosted: May Tue 04, 2021 9:00 am 

Hmmm, He is supposed to have my part for my customer's rare RCA radio. I knew it was too good to be true! I sent him a message on when the part would be available. He sent me a pm with a photo of a Hammond transformer- with no center taps. He did not even read my wtb message.

Joe Filipczak

PostPosted: May Wed 05, 2021 1:26 pm 

He got me too, back on 4/28/21 - $30 gone. Is there a way to report this guy to the authorities? We do have his email and several emails he uses to receive money in PayPal.

PostPosted: May Wed 05, 2021 5:52 pm 

Seen him around. Sorry you lost $30, Dave. Thanks for the Warning Alan!

PostPosted: May Thu 06, 2021 1:36 am 

He tried to phish me, too. Sent an email saying he had the knob I need for my Sony TV. When asked for a pic, he sent one of a set that was nothing like mine. Then, he sent one a day or two later of the same set I have. As I was already suspicious, I did a search and found the pic he sent me was posted on Pinterest. I called him on it and he tried to tell me it belonged to a friend that posted it there.

PostPosted: May Thu 06, 2021 4:45 am 

Paying by goods and services is cheap insurance when you have doubts, especially with new members. 3% of $50 is only $1.50. Sorry for you guys who got burned. :(

PostPosted: May Thu 06, 2021 2:37 pm 

Number 6 wrote:
Paying by goods and services is cheap insurance when you have doubts, especially with new members. 3% of $50 is only $1.50. Sorry for you guys who got burned. :(

The other good part about paying with goods and services is that the recipient eats the fee, not the sender. When I encounter resistance from a seller insisting on friends and family, I can't tell if it is a scam or just the seller not being willing to eat the fees. I offer to pay, again insisting on goods and services, but tacking on 4% to cover those fees. So far I have never encountered a refusal here on the forums.

Might also be a good time to mention that I never had a problem buying from a forum member; this scam is quite disturbing because it shakes one's faith a bit. Time to start paying attention to the date joined and other posts that a potential seller has made; I would imagine the scammers don't take the time to do anything other than FS posts.

Art

PostPosted: May Thu 06, 2021 5:37 pm 

I do not think he used the forum in my case - member or not. If I recall, he did not add a reply to the WTB ad. He used my email address to contract me, and all subsequent discussion was via email. At the time, I assumed he was a forum member, and thus I did not worry about the situation. I have had other cases where the seller did not want to eat the fee, and in one case I added extra to cover it.

PostPosted: May Thu 06, 2021 6:10 pm 

Dave Mc wrote:
I have had other cases where the seller did not want to eat the fee, and in one case I added extra to cover it.

I have never understood that reluctance over a 2.9% hit - it's just a cost of doing business, same as the 10% ebay fee. Build it into the price you are asking, the buyer ends up paying it anyway, and all is good. It makes one look penny-ante insisting on the buyer paying extra, and is really unnecessary if one prices his goods properly. I eat maybe $1250 - $1500 a year in paypal fees and never regret it; it makes my buyers happy, makes it easy for me to get paid, and attracts new buyers who like the extra layer of protection that paypal provides.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 2:06 am 
Site Admin

Dave Mc wrote:
I do not think he used the forum in my case - member or not. If I recall, he did not add a reply to the WTB ad. He used my email address to contract me, and all subsequent discussion was via email. At the time, I assumed he was a forum member, and thus I did not worry about the situation. I have had other cases where the seller did not want to eat the fee, and in one case I added extra to cover it.

You email address is not visible to anyone, including members. You can send an email to somebody through the forum, but your address is not shown and only added by the forum script when it sends out the message.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 2:43 am 

For the WTB ad, there were only 2 posts: The original WTB on 4/7/21 and a BUMP 4/27/21. No other replies. My comments about email (sorry I am ignorant of the processes used) were based on this message attached. The address provided in this message was HIS email, which I used to contact him (MY MISTAKE). This allows working around the security provided that I am working with an ARF member. I should have considered it SPAM (now I know to completely IGNORE these messages) - so why send them?

Hello Dave Mc,

The following is an e-mail sent to you by Tom55 via your account on "Antique Radio Forums". If this message is spam, contains abusive or other comments you find offensive please contact the webmaster of the board at the following address:

no_reply@antiqueradios.com

Include this full e-mail (particularly the headers). Please note that the reply address to this e-mail has been set to that of Tom55.

Message sent to you follows
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello here, you can reach out to me I have the Hp 01701- 68701 service kit-
1700 series scopes. You can Pm me here if you re interested.
Tomcarrison@gmail.com

PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2021 1:37 pm 

This has happened before; someone from Italy was pulling the same stunt a few years ago. It has been a problem in the ham radio and antique car hobbies.

PostPosted: May Tue 11, 2021 6:12 pm 

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the alert about this. Like most of you, I like to think I would be pretty savvy to scammers' tricks online, but it never hurts to be reminded. For guys like me who nRARELY post here on antique radio forum, but lurk a fair amount, these scammers are doubly distressing.
I'm not exactly an old radio guy, though I have a few, but I guess since I've made my living in the radio broadcast profession for almost 30 years, I am sort of an old radio guy. (I've produced over 7000 daily nationally syndicated radio programs since 1994, so I'd like to think that qualifies me as a radio guy...:-)

In my case, I was about to try to post up something about a lot of old radio stuff I have that I'm trying to move on to good homes. Not even necessarily selling all of it, but just wanting the right people to get this stuff.

TO BE CLEAR - Not trying to drum up business here, but just for example I happen to have many older 30's and 40's radio application tubes, some NOS in boxes. Then there's the box of radio oscillator coils, plus potentiometers, and lot of Philco stuff, etc. FWIW, I'm a tube amplifier guy myself, and focus on that mostly, so most of this stuff is of little use to me.

Sadly, scammers like the one mentioned in this thread make it even harder to be nice and give stuff to people. Scammers make people so reluctant to believe when someone actually posts up a giveaway or contacts them about a WTB part and offers it for free or shipping only, or whatever.

Guess I'll just keep my old parts to myself or try to figure out a better way to circulate a list without looking like a scammer myself. :-/

I'm open to ideas from you folks for how to get a list out of this radio-specific stuff without looking like a scammer or forum abuser.

Cheers,

Keith
coolblueglow

PostPosted: May Tue 11, 2021 6:47 pm 

CoolBlueGlow wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the alert about this. Like most of you, I like to think I would be pretty savvy to scammers' tricks online, but it never hurts to be reminded.
I'm open to ideas from you folks for how to get a list out of this radio-specific stuff without looking like a scammer or forum abuser.

Cheers,

Keith
coolblueglow

Once again the very very very few bad apples spoil the barrel for the rest of us. I would go to the Radio Classifieds, read the rules. They are pretty specific but they make sense and are easy to follow. List the lots and the contents, put a price on them, and await the replies. As long as you are willing to take PayPal payments for "goods sold" and not as "friends and family" that is a good start to demonstrating integrity; another would be to take photos of the lots with some sort of personalization to separate your pics from generic google image or pinterest pics. One of my favorite way that I have seen that done is the guy on eBay selling various tech stuff now and then that always has a small plastic moose sitting on the item being sold.

My whole point though is that it stinks that one has to prove they are honest in the first place. I run my life, and my businesses, assuming that people are honest. I get nipped once in a very rare while, but I refuse to poison my outlook by always looking over my shoulder for someone out to gyp me. Plus, my Dad told me in the 50s, "Artie, you get what you believe; assume the worst and it will find you."

Anyway, speaking for myself, glad to see you here, lurking or posting :) Have a great rest of the week.

Art

PostPosted: May Tue 11, 2021 8:42 pm 

Thanks Art,

That's good advice indeed from your dad and from you! Yes, I read the classified section rules and they make perfect sense, as does what you said about personalizing photos and PayPal practices. Everything you said pretty much matches up with my historic practices as well as what my dad taught me, and I love the positive vibe your dad's good advice embodied!

Guess I'll make an attempt to put something together for the classifieds. Thanks for the welcome.

Keith
coolblueglow

PostPosted: May Wed 12, 2021 12:42 am 

One reason scams like this work is that the scammer may be targeting WTB items that are extremely rare and that likely no one has (that was my case). So when you get ANY nibble, your normal defenses are turned off - you jump at any chance to get the item. If I were a scammer I would look for a WTB with many BUMPS, or if the scammer was knowledgeable he/she may recognize the rareness. Just my opinion FWIW.

PostPosted: May Thu 13, 2021 11:44 am 

I sure wish I would have read this!!!!! I just got suckered in for $26. Money was sent to a Dorothy Moturi. First time I have EVER been scammed.

How did Tom Carrison get our email?

PostPosted: May Fri 14, 2021 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Restorationnut wrote:
How did Tom Carrison get our email?

They didn't. They used the "Send Email" function that the forum has that will email a message to the address they person has in their forum account. The actual address is not shown to the sender.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 33 posts ]  Moderators: Alan Voorhees, Philco Fan Go to page 1, 2  Next