Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Wed 08, 2020 3:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Original filters still OK
PostPosted: Jan Thu 20, 2011 2:07 pm 

Many of you might have seen this, but I'm sure it's rare. I have a 72 year old Emerson on the bench and its dual electrolytic is still doing its job. I keep a wide stock of caps on hand and expect to change them in each of the sets crossing my bench. However, the old saw dictates that if it "ain't broke, don't fix it." What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 20, 2011 2:43 pm 

In this case, I'd fix it. They've done their time. Why risk having to replace them in a few months, or having them short and take out other parts along with them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 20, 2011 5:38 pm 

I've got a RCA R-7 from 1931 that the factory filters still work on.That makes them 80 years old!I am going to replace them when i recapp the set though.I don't need them taking out my power transformer.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 20, 2011 6:04 pm 

For the price on lytics today it is not worth the time and hassle of opening the same set again. Replace!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 21, 2011 1:40 am 

Replace the electrolytic caps as it's cheap insurance against destroying something like a power transformer. Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 21, 2011 3:52 am 

I have occasionally seen "FP" type capacitors from the 1940s or 1950s that were still good. That said, one thing to remember is that most old radios did not have any fuses, so a capacitor failure could be expensive.

The Philco 45C that I'm currently working on did have one wet electrolytic that still had liquid, and measured 8 microfarads, although it had a high power factor. Of course, it's getting restuffed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 21, 2011 4:14 am 

Tim Tress wrote:

The Philco 45C that I'm currently working on did have one wet electrolytic that still had liquid, and measured 8 microfarads, although it had a high power factor. Of course, it's getting restuffed.

Smart move, Tim. I once thought I had a good one because it was still sealed and you could hear the liquid inside. When I opened it there was no more than a teaspoonfull of electrolyte and the rest was a giant clog of borax and green corrosion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 21, 2011 4:31 am 

Since my RCA Livingston is setting on the bench awaiting transformer transplant surgery due to the fact that the PS caps blew without a bit of hum. I'd say you should learn from my poor decision making as that is my favorite radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 21, 2011 4:59 am 

I would definitely replace them if it were mine. I would have most likely done so before applying power for the first time and without wasting time testing them.

Just too risky as others have already pointed out.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 21, 2011 2:20 pm 

Don't worry, you're preaching to the choir. They will be changed. Just thought it was unique that a part like that could survive the eons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 21, 2011 4:34 pm 

I just pulled the chassis on a working Zenith 6G601 I just bought on eBay. I was sure it had been recapped, at least the lytics, as the power cord isn't original.

I was surprised to find that the chassis looks untouched other than the ac cord. Those caps would be 68 years old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 27, 2011 10:42 pm 

Hi, new member here . . . My interest is mainly vintage tube stereo amps.

How useful is an ESR meter in predicting the continued reliability of a vintage lytic?

Before I bought the meter I routinely replaced all the old caps. Now I always test the existing cans. I then compare the readings with those of a new cap which I would use as a replacement. Usually, there is very little difference and, on occasion, the old cap actually has lower ESR than the prospective new replacement.

When the difference between the old and new caps is negligible I leave the old one in place. Is this a reasonable practice to follow? Is ESR actually an indication of the health of a cap?

Thanks . . . Charlie