Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 05, 2020 4:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What do these coils fit?
PostPosted: Jan Tue 25, 2011 10:42 pm 

I recently got several coils which were clearly meant for some type of radio. As the picture shows, there's one short coil with a six-pin base, a set of four coils with five-pin bases, and a set of four coils with six-pin bases. Does anyone know what they fit and if they have any value?

Thanks,

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 26, 2011 12:11 am 

Home brew or commercial SW or ham receivers. The ribbed ones look like Hammarlund and the black could be several makes. Most were available prewound or just blank forms for the experimenter.

Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 26, 2011 2:35 am 

It is hard to say exactly what these coils were for, but it is likely they went to somebody's home-made amateur receiver. The bakelite forms were made by several different companies and were readily available. There may be a small marking or logo on the underside; 'H' with an arrow through it for Hammarlund, NC for National Company, 'M' in a circle with gear teeth for Millen. The windings appear to have been applied by hand.

As for value, there certainly are people looking for these to re-wind and use again in projects, or for restoration of a radio that is missing its coils. But in my neck of the woods, these forms are not too difficult to find, and they don't tend to go for more than a couple or a few bucks a piece.

Thomas A. Edison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 26, 2011 2:43 am 

Thanks to both of you for the info. I'll probably put together an ad for the classifieds for them and a bunch of other stuff. I need to clear out some of these things pretty soon.

Brian