Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Tue 20, 2019 5:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: US Navy Snap-In Resistor Power Rating Question
PostPosted: Nov Wed 14, 2018 5:38 pm 

I have some WWII surplus US Navy snap-in style vitreous enamel wire-wound resistors, and I need to know their power rating. Anybody have any source for power specs for these?
"CAO 63011E" is the only identifying marking on the resistor. It's a 1kΩ resistor, about 3" long, about ½" in diameter. Short of hooking up some juice to it and seeing how it behaves at certain voltages, I'm flummoxed. Asking Uncle Google reveals no pertinent data.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: US Navy Snap-In Resistor Power Rating Question
PostPosted: Nov Thu 15, 2018 5:03 am 

They didn't stop in the 40s or 50s...I saw several of these over the years, and have some from surplus buys, with "A" condition dates from the 80s. Ward Leonard (stamped WL) made 90% of the one's I've seen, the balance, IRC and Milwaukee resistor.

Ward Leonard sold it's resistor operation to Ohmite, and discontinued the making of those resistors pre-internet. Check EEM's and Radio-Electronic Master guides over on the Internet Archive.

Most of those resistors were used as bleeders and braking resistors for electric motors used in elevators, trains, and some mining equipment. The Navy used a lot in their mobile servicing carts that provided 115V 400Hz and 28VDC to aircraft.

Surplus Sales of Nebraska may have some described enough (cartridge resistors on their site...)for a comparison. Even Fair Radio may have some...