Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sat 20, 2019 10:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I found out why radio tubes are a restricted item!
PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 6:19 pm 

Gentlemen,

This situation has occurred because everyone wants a dependable, easy, reasonably consistent, hassle-free way to ship stuff internationally.......that is what eBay is selling here.

The only problem is.....there is NO dependable, easy, reasonably consistent way to ship stuff internationally. Just one look at the pages and pages of guidelines on the international pages of the USPS web site will tell anyone that.

eBay is selling a service they cannot possibly deliver. They are selling a pig in a poke. THAT is what a plaintiff's attorney is going to attack if a lawsuit is ever filed about the GSP. (And it WILL happen, eventually-mark my words, eBay and PB have already put the chum in the water).

What I suspect is really happening here is that some genius at PB came up with this scheme and sold it to eBay AAS ("as a service"- the latest buzzword for outsourcing). The business model is such that anything uncomplicated actually gets shipped and anything controversial doesn't, and the money is made on sheer volume without any real regard for customer service. Any losses from tubes,etc. are baked into the cost and there was NEVER any intent to ship those things regardless of any claims to the contrary.

As I see it, the ONLY solution to this problem is:

Do NOT buy radio-related items on eBay.

Do NOT sell radio-related items on eBay.

If you must transact on eBay, have items sent to a trusted person local to the seller, and then have that person forward it to you.

What's really going to kill this program is not going to be complaints from upright citizens like us. Instead, it will be the potential for scamming it, big time, that will do it in. Imagine the following:

Seller lists a common 27 or 50C5 tube for $500.00 Buy It Now.

Buyer from overseas buys the tube at the $500.00 Buy It Now price.

PB refuses to ship "forbidden" tube item.

EBay refunds buyer $500.00

Buyer and seller are in collusion with each other, and split the $500.00 that eBay refunded. PROFIT!...and almost impossible to prosecute because everything was done exactly as eBay instructed.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 6:49 pm 

Primitiveradiogod wrote:
Buyer and seller are in collusion with each other, and split the $500.00 that eBay refunded. PROFIT!...and almost impossible to prosecute because everything was done exactly as eBay instructed.

And add to that if the re-seller the item goes to is in collusion with the buyer and seller then the money gained from the resale of that item can be split between them all.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 7:03 pm 

Your so right ..... Everything you said....
I will not buy any more electronic or other stuff or list any stuff on E bay any more ....... They have pissed me off big time ....... That is why I am contacting these forums and guys in the field for any good dud tubes.....

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 7:37 pm 

Best place bar none to buy and sell stuff like that is in the classifieds section here.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 7:55 pm 

I only buy radios in need of restoration. Ebay works great for me.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 9:19 pm 

If you buy things in the USA and ship them domestically , there is no problem shipping with GSP ..... For us that don't live in the USA , it is a problem..... international orders will not leave the USA under GSP rules.....because all radio tubes have mercury in them and this RESTRICTED for export......

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 9:21 pm 

madlabs wrote:
FStephenMasek wrote:
This kind of stuff is rampant in many places, not just government schools. Mucheck of the indoor air quality consulting done by Co sultan companies in the USA is to deal with paranoid claims or concerns based on ignorance, with a strong undercurrent of employees who are the next to be fired and tenants who want out of leases.

Huh?
Sorry, cell phone spelling "correction"... It should read:

This kind of stuff is rampant in many places, not just government schools. Much of the indoor air quality consulting done by consulting companies in the USA is to deal with paranoid claims or concerns based on ignorance, with a strong undercurrent of employees who are the next to be fired and tenants who want out of leases.

I recently encounted a high paid government employee who thought that they might put dioxin in fire retardants diapensed by airplanes. In case you do not know, dioxin is highly toxic.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 11:35 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
madlabs wrote:
FStephenMasek wrote:
This kind of stuff is rampant in many places, not just government schools. Mucheck of the indoor air quality consulting done by Co sultan companies in the USA is to deal with paranoid claims or concerns based on ignorance, with a strong undercurrent of employees who are the next to be fired and tenants who want out of leases.

Huh?
Sorry, cell phone spelling "correction"... It should read:

This kind of stuff is rampant in many places, not just government schools. Much of the indoor air quality consulting done by consulting companies in the USA is to deal with paranoid claims or concerns based on ignorance, with a strong undercurrent of employees who are the next to be fired and tenants who want out of leases.

I recently encounted a high paid government employee who thought that they might put dioxin in fire retardants diapensed by airplanes. In case you do not know, dioxin is highly toxic.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm still not sure what it has to do with tubes being seized by ebay though.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 06, 2018 12:18 am 

Primitiveradiogod wrote:
Gentlemen,

This situation has occurred because everyone wants a dependable, easy, reasonably consistent, hassle-free way to ship stuff internationally.......that is what eBay is selling here.

The only problem is.....there is NO dependable, easy, reasonably consistent way to ship stuff internationally. Just one look at the pages and pages of guidelines on the international pages of the USPS web site will tell anyone that.

eBay is selling a service they cannot possibly deliver. They are selling a pig in a poke. THAT is what a plaintiff's attorney is going to attack if a lawsuit is ever filed about the GSP. (And it WILL happen, eventually-mark my words, eBay and PB have already put the chum in the water).

What I suspect is really happening here is that some genius at PB came up with this scheme and sold it to eBay AAS ("as a service"- the latest buzzword for outsourcing). The business model is such that anything uncomplicated actually gets shipped and anything controversial doesn't, and the money is made on sheer volume without any real regard for customer service. Any losses from tubes,etc. are baked into the cost and there was NEVER any intent to ship those things regardless of any claims to the contrary.

As I see it, the ONLY solution to this problem is:

Do NOT buy radio-related items on eBay.

Do NOT sell radio-related items on eBay.

If you must transact on eBay, have items sent to a trusted person local to the seller, and then have that person forward it to you.

What's really going to kill this program is not going to be complaints from upright citizens like us. Instead, it will be the potential for scamming it, big time, that will do it in. Imagine the following:

Seller lists a common 27 or 50C5 tube for $500.00 Buy It Now.

Buyer from overseas buys the tube at the $500.00 Buy It Now price.

PB refuses to ship "forbidden" tube item.

EBay refunds buyer $500.00

A good scam on this is obvious, sell rare tubes at high prices, sell and ship only to international buyers, ship them a cheap TV tube worth $1, it won't get there anyways. Seller gets his 500 back and the only loss is a cheap tube no one wants anyways. Let the guy in Cass city deal with it later, he deserves it.
I say that because I think the guy in Cass city is in bed with this whole scam and has exclusive buying rights from PB.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 09, 2018 9:53 am 

This is a VERY interesting topic. AND I think Ebay is in the wrong. They are interfering with our right to the the pursuit of happiness. Additionally, they are destroying historical pieces (according to them).

Personally, I think it would be interesting to send Ebay a headache via suppository. By this I mean pointing out every hazardous material they ship. Every cell phone, every DVD player, every plated bolt. Every glass bauble every lead crystal goblet. Don't forget the mercury glass Christmas ornaments and all the vintage painted items that could contain lead.

Don't forget clothes, all that cloth is preserved in formaldehyde before cutting and stitching. And if it is imported, can they guarantee is wasn't made by child labor?

Go ahead, be a pain in the bum and give them a headache until nothing goes through their global shipping system.

Lindsey.

(I want my '01A's)

PostPosted: Jan Tue 09, 2018 4:20 pm 

High Tension wrote:
This is a VERY interesting topic. AND I think Ebay is in the wrong. They are interfering with our right to the the pursuit of happiness. Additionally, they are destroying historical pieces (according to them).

Personally, I think it would be interesting to send Ebay a headache via suppository. By this I mean pointing out every hazardous material they ship. Every cell phone, every DVD player, every plated bolt. Every glass bauble every lead crystal goblet. Don't forget the mercury glass Christmas ornaments and all the vintage painted items that could contain lead.

Don't forget clothes, all that cloth is preserved in formaldehyde before cutting and stitching. And if it is imported, can they guarantee is wasn't made by child labor?

Go ahead, be a pain in the bum and give them a headache until nothing goes through their global shipping system.

Lindsey.

(I want my '01A's)

Add to that list glazed pottery items like Fiesta ware that contain Uranium oxide to get the color known as Fiesta Red. It's slightly radioactive (alpha emitter). Oh, and Cadmium plated items, too. Cadmium was also used as a colorant in old glassware along with Cobalt and Chromium. Then there's the Thorium in the old gas mantles, and asbestos in many heater type power cords in antique toasters, waffle irons, clothes irons, etc. I'm sure there's plenty more examples. Imagine the upset at EBay Auto if all of the questionable items used over the years in cars were listed.

It might be interesting to start a thread solely for the purpose of listing all of the items our members would know about from the combined vast store of knowledge represented here.

John

PostPosted: Jan Tue 09, 2018 5:08 pm 

The last few points are what I was trying to make earlier - virtually anything sold on ebay can be considered "hazardous" or "toxic" in one way or another. So by their logic, they need to not allow anything to be shipped!

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Jan Tue 09, 2018 5:19 pm 

zenith82 wrote:
The last few points are what I was trying to make earlier - virtually anything sold on ebay can be considered "hazardous" or "toxic" in one way or another. So by their logic, they need to not allow anything to be shipped!

Exactly, and that is what they need to be approached on, pointing out that there is no real issue with 99.99% of tubes, but there are real and serious issues with many other items which they do allow to be sold and shipped.

The problem is, this needs to be handled by those who are experts rather than a random person in order to have any chance of success with eBay. Otherwise it needs to be handled in the courts where all the details can be brought out into the open and expert witnesses can testify.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 09, 2018 5:33 pm 

Ebay could refuse to ship any radios or radio parts and it wouldn't hurt them a bit. Their shipping volume is so huge that radio related items would be a fraction of 1% of the volume. We are a very small segment of the shipping.

Dave

PostPosted: Jan Tue 09, 2018 9:22 pm 

Yes, but the paranoia and ignorance which drive such actions,will continue to grow unless we all act to stop it.

Last edited by FStephenMasek on Jan Wed 10, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 09, 2018 10:20 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Yes, but the paranoia and ignorance which drive such actiobs,will continue to grow unless we all act to stop it.

"actiobs" ?

that's a new one on me?
Is it a real word yet?

Does "actiobs" mean jerks who act without serious thought?

PostPosted: Jan Wed 10, 2018 12:13 am 

eBay works well for me and I plan on continuing to use it.

I ship internationally all the time. I don't use eBay's Global Shipping Program, but instead use software that prints bar-coded labels. It makes international shipping almost as easy as domestic shipping. I have never had a package lost.

Seems to me the answer is not to use eBay's GSP. Maybe a movement needs to be started to get sellers to boycott eBay's GSP. To me that sounds a lot better than throwing the baby out with the bath water.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 10, 2018 12:55 am 

I'm with you. If you want to kill GSP, or at least force them to change their ways, boycott it. Don't ship anything with them, and don't buy items if GSP is the only shipping option offered. If they can't figure out what an item is--and believe me there are lots of things besides radio tubes getting confiscated every day--you're not going to get it anyway. Tell everybody you know to avoid GSP as well. Business people pay attention to one thing and one thing only, and that is profit. If GSP becomes the kiss of death for enough auctions, eBay will either force their partners to change or they'll get rid of the program.

If one wanted to complain to the Federal Trade Commission or its counterparts in other countries, GSP could be considered to be committing fraud. They are selling a forwarding service which they then refuse to perform based on fictitious, imaginary, and arbitrary concepts of hazardous items. The fact that the buyer and seller do not lose their money doesn't change the fact that GSP is failing to perform the service they were contracted to perform without a valid reason.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Jan Wed 10, 2018 10:57 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
FStephenMasek wrote:
Yes, but the paranoia and ignorance which drive such actiobs,will continue to grow unless we all act to stop it.
"actiobs" ?
Sorry - typo on cell phone, busy with guests

PostPosted: Jan Wed 10, 2018 11:53 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Pbpix wrote:
FStephenMasek wrote:
"actiobs" ?
Sorry - typo on cell phone, busy with guests

lol

Ah... now I get it.
I tried looking up "actiobs" .... but it just kept coming back with "action" .... now I see why?
lol
Your typo meant action and came out "actiobs"
But it sure looks like a good NEW word... for dumb people that "act" on stuff without research.
These people would be "ac-ti-obs"